Hitting the redline and loosing all power?

BP S3

Reaction score
Ok so Ive had the new S3 for 6 weeks or so and love it. I've just returned from a long drive from Kerry in Ireland to the north east of England where the once the roads were clear the S3 was given a damn good thrashing. The car has done around 2000 miles now and i would consider it run in, though I've not really given it any real steady driving run in time I've always let it warm up before putting my foot down a bit. Ive got a manual and the box is as sweet a gear change you could ask but.
On the way back and after being driven fairly hard for over an hour I attempted to pull out of a junction onto a 100kph Irish B road. there was a car coming but still plenty of room to pull out ahead of the oncoming traffic. I put my foot down in first, then second taking it to the red line before changing to 3rd then not having any power? I changed to second again and still nothing, with traffic approaching I had to pull to the side before the car went into gear and the power returned. I was in a panic and didn't look at the dash for any warning lights so can't think what caused it to loose power? A very dangerous and confidence sapping position to be in. Should I return the car to the dealer and ask what the problem is? Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or am I asking too much of the car and driving like a pleb?

I wouldn't say you were asking the car to do too much, should be able to cope with an hour of hard driving.
Sounds like a limp home mode may have been activated but for what reason I wouldn't know.

Has it done this since then ?

Reactions: SW14NY'S and pburv
not done it since but I am aware of it happening so haven't pushed it to the limit since and now doubt I would trust it to get me out of a tight spot or cope with pulling into speeding traffic. I had a golf GTI before this and never had a hint of a problem driving exactly the same.

Reactions: pburv
I would have it checked over if it were me, an S3 is about being able to put your foot down (legally) ..

Any doubt and you will doubt yourself and never feel happy with it

There is the box of neutrals issue but 99% sure that doesn't affect the manual because... Well, it's manual :D

My guess is the ecu put your car in limp mode when it reached the red..As you said you were not paying attention to the dash so probably had it in the red a little longer than you thought...Either way take it to your dealer and ask them to check the error logs on the ecu...:friends:

probably what happened pburv, still it can't have been more than a split second in the red though.

I'm booking audi assist to come round and have a look tonight

It'll be the turbo, had similar problem with mine. Tell me yours isn't a facelift??? Hoped they'd ironed out all these hiccups!