Hit and run

Chris5

Reaction score
Driving to the gym 300 yards away and a car decides to fly up the inside lane cut me up while hitting into my passenger side damaging my bumper and wheel arch. Followed him for around 20mins while on the phone to the police hoping a car would catch up with us but that never happened. Seen he had his wife and baby in the back looked less than 2 years old.
The 20mins I followed him Iv never seen driving as bad in my life flying over pavements driving on the wrong side of the road and going onto the motorway driving on the hard shoulder, I gave up after seeing he had family in his car.
Thought I would share my news of the night

Reactions: jimojameso, pburv and SJ43
You need to get blackvue and you would have just needed to get the incident on camera

Reactions: pburv, Chris5 and SJ43
Iv checked his reg plate on my phones app which says it's not valid. Something seems strange him having a family in his car and not stopping he must not have been insured or something. Hope the police find him, I got out my car at a set of lights and he tried to hit me aswell. Now the hassle of getting the car repaired through the insurance

Reactions: pburv
Yeah it's a real problem sorting out things like that

Let's hope the police find him

Reactions: pburv and Chris5
Blimey sounds bizarre. Imagine putting your own family at risk like that...defies belief...

Had a poor woman outside my house get hit from behind and the **** in the BMW that hit her just floored it and drove off. Can only assume they were uninsured or drunk.

Pond scum the lot of them...

I suppose if they don't find them I'm left to pay to rapair myself. My insurance excess is £400

The way he hit my car was totally not needed the road was clear he came flying up the inside with no cars infront of him so no reason to try cut me up to get infront, maybe letting me know his toyato avensis estate is better than my S3

I'm really sorry to hear this. I feel for you I really do. Your car ruined by some idiot with something or nothing to prove. I would have followed him until he got home or stopped, he left the scene of an accident surely the police must be doing something for you.

Begs belief that our possessions are never safe.

I sincerely hope that you get this sorted with little stress.

Good luck mate

G

Reactions: Chris5
I was so tempted to keep following him but after I seen the baby and the way he had been driving with the baby in the car someone would have got killed surprised no big accident dos happen. I never had to do any daft crazy driving as I knew if I could see him I would catch him.
Police always like to twist the story, they said to me do I think he only drove away like he did as he thought I was chasing him and was scared.

Doesn't the non insured driver policy cover you for this?

The car occupants: Father = scum bag, mother = probably a scum bag, baby = future scum bag.

Reactions: Chris5 and batch
I was so tempted to keep following him but after I seen the baby and the way he had been driving with the baby in the car someone would have got killed surprised no big accident dos happen. I never had to do any daft crazy driving as I knew if I could see him I would catch him.
Police always like to twist the story, they said to me do I think he only drove away like he did as he thought I was chasing him and was scared.

For what it's worth mate I think you did the right thing. Yeah they probably were scumbags but sounds like the driver had no hesitation putting his family in danger and if you'd continued to pursue likely it would have ended badly, which if nothing else the kiddy certainly doesn't deserve.

It's a shame it looks like you've got to carry the cost of this selfish behaviour though.

It should Iv gave the car registration to police and insurance but I'm not even sure the car reg was the right one for the car as it comes up valid when I check it. Hopefully the police will catch him waiting for a call back from them today

Reactions: Simon L
It should Iv gave the car registration to police and insurance but I'm not even sure the car reg was the right one for the car as it comes up valid when I check it. Hopefully the police will catch him waiting for a call back from them today

Fingers crossed mate

I am sure you were doing what you thought was right in the circumstances after being hit and the driver not stopping but once you have got his number, phoned the police and almost got hit why carry on the chase...

Something seems strange him having a family in his car and not stopping he must not have been insured or something

No doubt he done wrong in hitting you but maybe he did not stop as he had his family in the car and was not sure what might happen if you caught up with him.

I got out my car at a set of lights and he tried to hit me aswell.

Defending his family maybe!! If it were me I would have got out at the lights and took a photo of him and the damage on his car but certainly would not have approached close enough for him to take a swing.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for you, no one likes there car to be hit and then having the hassle of the insurance as the other party has not stopped, but maybe he felt threatened. If he was driving badly for 20 minutes what were you doing to keep up.

Nightmare mate. At least you're ok and I think you did the right thing. Hope you get sorted soon!

Absolutely shocking. People like that need locking up; it also reinforces to me that police are only after 'easy' collars - no doubt if they had been able to intercept they would pulled you over and let him knick off!

Actually I've just remembered an incident I was involved in a few years back. I was driving back to Reading along the A33 - at dusk; caught upto a grey corolla driving erratically - speed varying from 40 to 80 mph - weaving all over the place. Twice on what is a pretty straight dual carriage way he almost veered completely off the hard shoulder onto the grass. Cars passed and few times he veered out towards them as they passed him. I got my girlfriend to ring the TVP local number and we gave the car no plate; description and said "he's heading straight into Reading - he'll go past the main police station". The response: sorry - thanks for the details. We'll be unable to pull him.
So only interested I guess after someone's possibly been killed

slightly different but on topic- ish.

some people don't care if they have kids in the car or not.

i was out early one morning, for a ride on my R6.
i was tanking it along a very long and quiet duel carriage way - around 150 mph.

some lights appear in my mirror, in the distance so i slowed down to around 100.
this volvo comes up behind me and goes past me, and ALOT quicker than what i was going too.
yup a volvo... i was shocked.

i sped up and flew past him, flat out. i slowed down, and he did the same again, we were both in excess of of silly speeds, then i notice a child, laying down on his back seat, no seatbelt, no nothing, just laying across the bench.

i was quick enough to think **** this, I'm no longer playing with him and i slammed on and let him disappear.

WHO ON EARTH DOES THAT?!
i cant have kids - hopefully one day me and the mrs will, and i will get a car suitable for the family and there is no chance i will drive like a freaking douche! there is no need for it.

I've had my mate and his kid in the S3, and my driving style changes dramatically. my life, is one thing. a childs is another.

Reactions: Mr.G and pburv
Everything crossed for you then ;) At least you are with a good insurance company....out of interest did you get a tracker fitted to your car? I'm sure lv wanted a tracker before giving me a quote.

http://www.lv.com/car-insurance/customer-help/questions/hit-by-uninsured-driver

@Daveotto
I continued to follow him hoping the police on the phone would be able to send a car out to continue to chase him, I was giving directions of everywhere we were driving, the police station is 5minutes from me so how there wasn't one car close I don't know. He would have been safer to be stopped then let to carry on in an uninsured car with fake plates on it.
He caused the accident to happen with his driving and continued to drive like a **** so that's his fault not to do with me.
Defending his family by nearly killing them about 6 times would defending his family not mean stop the car after you crash into someone?
And like I said my car was fast enough to safely catch up on him everywhere he went and when he stalled at the traffic lights to get out the car is when I seen he had family with him and that's when I let him go.

There's my second statement the police have the other one.
Let's support the hit and run team

@S32B not got a tracker fitted mate

£125 to refurb the S3 standard 18" alloys does that sound right?
Waiting on my full estimate but he did mention that's the cost of a wheel refueb. Wouldn't have touched the wheel if it wasn't for the spacers

There must be CCTV of him somewhere. You pick your nose in the UK without someone seeing you do it on video.
Hope they catch the scumbag.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
If the police really wanted to catch him they would but Iv still not had one call back yet, the woman promised she would phone me today for an update as she's off for the next few days after today

There must be CCTV of him somewhere. You pick your nose in the UK without someone seeing you do it on video.
Hope they catch the scumbag.
Uh oh! I had better watch out...lol
giphy.gif

Reactions: davc, Simon L and Scottyg
The OP has clearly had a rough time, no point adding to the issues here imo.

Chris5, please keep us updated mate. What have insurance said and what have police said? Demand to speak with someone or you'll keep harassing them, I just can't believe things like this still happen and the Police are doing absolutely nothing about it for you (seems like).

Fingers crossed, as others have already said.

G

let to carry on in an uninsured car with fake plates on it.

Assumption!!

And like I said my car was fast enough to safely catch

Irrespective of the car if he was speeding so were you, two wrongs don't make a right, even if he hit you and you he drove off

Let's support the hit and run team

I am not supporting this guy, just giving you an alternative view. For sure if some guy was chasing/following me for 20 mins I would be scared s###less

f the police really wanted to catch him they would but Iv still not had one call back yet,

@Chris5 you have had a bad experience and I can see why you are still boiling over someone damaging your pride and joy but end of the day it's a minor RTA, no one was hurt thankfully and damage is maybe not so bad....what if when he got out of the car and stuck you or wrapped a baseball bat round your head...it's metal and plastic.......take a chill pill

EDIT : a good few years back I stuck a finger up at a guy who nicked a parking space from my wife, he followed us and then kicked the crap out of the whole side of my wife's car, he had his son with him, was about 8. I did not follow him or get out of the car until he had disappeared...s### happens

Last edited:
Really feel for you mate, I'd of probably done the same thing. Hope you can get it all sorted and the police pull their finger out.

Don't agree he was protecting his family for one second. He probably didn't have a license/insurance, high on drugs, drunk, or all of the above.

Some real wrong uns on this planet...

Reactions: Simon L, Chris5 and Scottyg
Putting myself in the same position as the OP, I'd probably do this same. Most of us would, especially if you were giving the police a running commentary. Two wrongs don't make a right, you are correct about that. However, no matter if it was a 'minor' RTA it's still a hit and run.

no matter if it was a 'minor' RTA it's still a hit and run.

Agree, point I am making is that the police don't have the resource for a minor RTA. My daughter was in a total write-off RTA a few months back, a patrol car stopped for all of 30 seconds to make sure no one was hurt then drove off. Police don't even visit houses immediately after burglaries these days and you can wait 24 hours for an officer to turn if at all... Not saying it's right, it's just fact

Reactions: batch, Simon L and Scottyg
Assumption!!

Irrespective of the car if he was speeding so were you, two wrongs don't make a right, even if he hit you and you he drove off

I am not supporting this guy, just giving you an alternative view. For sure if some guy was chasing/following me for 20 mins I would be scared s###less

@Chris5 you have had a bad experience and I can see why you are still boiling over someone damaging your pride and joy but end of the day it's a minor RTA, no one was hurt thankfully and damage is maybe not so bad....what if when he got out of the car and stuck you or wrapped a baseball bat round your head...it's metal and plastic.......take a chill pill

EDIT : a good few years back I stuck a finger up at a guy who nicked a parking space from my wife, he followed the us and then kicked the **** out of the whole side of my wife's car, he had his son with him, was about 8. I did not follow him or get out if the car until he had disappeared...s### happens

I don't get your post at all!

At no point did Chris5 say he was speeding and driving erratically himself, but "following" the chap in his car. Fast enough as it is to "catch" up to him if required.

Two wrongs don't make a right at any time, I agree with you. Chris5 was following him because he left the scene of an accident he was involved in with said driver, I might be different to a lot of people here in views on things, but are you saying that you would have just left him drive off and call the police if this had happened to you???

As for being scared...Chris5 must have been also and very annoyed that his car had just been pranged! It is metal and plastic, again, I agree with you. But that is not the point, he (Chris5) is clearly sharing an account of what happened to him in the hope that some other people here have had the same and can relate. Wrapping baseball bats around peoples heads and being a victim of someone anger can happen at anytime and anywhere, regardless if you are driving or not. It surprises me that in this day and age, people get away with such acts and the victim is left to deal with the consequences.

I guess it's all subjective and what a person is willing to put up with. I for one would have done the same as Chris5, only I would have followed him until stop, stayed on phone to Police and demanded something was done.

G

You drove to a gym which is 300yds away!

It's very common at thy gym I used to go to.......

Drive a mile up the road to the gym.

Park as close as possible to the front doors.......preferably using the disabled bays (compulsory if you have a black Range Rover with private dabs).

Go inside.

Run 2 miles on the treadmill.

While letting your chubby kids mess about for 2 hours in the lounge area on an ipad (free child care).

Drive 1 mile home.

Give the kids a pizza and can of coke for tea.

Reactions: richinsoton and Chris5
@Audimad
No the gym wasn't 300 yards from my house it's 10minutes drive I got nearly the whole way there before it happened. And even if it was 300 yards from the house if I want to drive I will so don't bother commenting, well seen Dave liked your post.
Bawbag 1
Bawbag 2

Reactions: MattB1989
Agree, point I am making is that the police don't have the resource for a minor RTA. My daughter was in a total write-off RTA a few months back, a patrol car stopped for all of 30 seconds to make sure no one was hurt then drove off. Police don't even visit houses immediately after burglaries these days and you can wait 24 hours for an officer to turn if at all... Not saying it's right, it's just fact
Blame Teresa.... Not the old Bill!

Reactions: Daveotto and _Zerocool_
I sense a lot of hostility lol.

I'm assuming they didn't get back to you Chris?
I have t***s doing all kinds of s**t on the motorway and the likes. Hope the insurance goes easy on this!

Not really similar but I was walking somewhere once and some woman was turning from a junction. As she did so, she went into a very visible puddle and I've got soaked.

Phoned the police, given the reg, name of street etc. And they said they won't do anything without footage. I'm not surprised so many cars have on board cameras nowadays!!!

Not really similar but I was walking somewhere once and some woman was turning from a junction. As she did so, she went into a very visible puddle and I've got soaked.

Phoned the police, given the reg, name of street etc. And they said they won't do anything without footage. I'm not surprised so many cars have on board cameras nowadays!!!
5c38ea4be48400b0d91d979af145e427.jpg

Reactions: Mojave96 and Simon L
If this is Police Scotland we're talking about here then yes they're a complete waste of space.

I would've followed the guy till I ran out of petrol and given him the biggest hiding of his life for the inconvenience caused

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, Gazjs and Chris5