Hit and run - Knuckle/Strut damage

DiscoBenny

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So someone hit my car while it was parked and messed up my alignment. The body damage is another story and I'll have to deal with that later.

Went to have it aligned and they could only do so much apparently. They listed either strut and/or the knuckle was bent.

Anyone replace the knuckle? Or struts for that matter?

Shop said 6-7hrs....would love to lighten that if possible. Thank you!

-Benny

6-7 hours. They’re having a laugh surely.

loads of guides out there on how to do it.

Yeah, looking at youtube videos I swear if I had power tools it'd take me less than 2hrs.

My camber is 2.6 and they couldn't adjust it more due to something being bent.
Maybe they just suck in the first place and I should go find another shop.

Ironically it's easier to take the knuckle out to remove the strut. Where they got 6 to 7 hours from, who knows.

If it were me in this situation, I'd go for a used knuckle. New shocks in the front. Possible you also have a bent wishbone but that's relatively easy to change on its own. Ditto with the wheel bearing, but I'd look Into changing that as removing your old bearing might be tricky and don't know the condition of one that may come with the knuckle.

Labour cost you're looking around the 200 quid mark. Can be done with normal hand tools.
50 quid bearing, 50 quid per shock (worth doing in pairs). 50 quid knuckle.

Getting another shop to look at it tomorrow....went over 55+mph and got some noises...wonderful.

Great advice on that wheel bearing as I'm sure there was some undue stress on it.

Just looking forward to solving this.

Thanks!

Thanks gents. Took it to another shop to get a better picture of the noises I now hear. They also said the specs after alignment aren't too terrible in the short term. FL Camber -2.4, FR -1.2

Front right wheel bearing

My question is that I have looked at several videos about hub removal and whatnot...but one shows a 3 bolt hub assembly And two other show a 4bolt pattern.

Any way to discern without getting under the car if I have a 3 or a 4bolt hub bearing assembly? 2012 TDI btw

And yes, I imagine I'll have to just get under the car but wanted to see if there was another way.

Thanks!

2.0 tdi? If so guarantee you have the 4 bolt one.
The 3 bolt comes with cars that have the 280mm front discs.

The 1.2 and the 1.6 petrols use 280mm discs iirc, could also be the 1.6 tdi and 1.9 tdi. they're the ones that'd use the 3 bolt bearings.

Your car uses either 288mm or 312mm discs, so you use the 4 bolt.

Difference is the hub/knuckle. The small disc cars use a different one to the rest of the 8p range, and have narrower shocks as well (50mm vs 55mm).

That guy has a 1.6tdi with the 280mm discs, and you can sort of see the 3 bolt hub bearing in parts of the vid.
If your brakes look like that (the caliper carier on the 280mm is distinctly different), yours is the same.

Another way to check would be to look at the sticker in the boot/trunk, the part number for the brakes is listed. Looking for a 1Z* number.

Alternatively just get under the car and check

Also makes sense now you mention you're in America. they are trying to shaft you on the labour time as they're treating it like an exotic import when in reality it's just a golf in drag

Reactions: aqibi2000
Update:

Sorry for the late response.

I have the 4 Bolt wheel hub assembly.

Putting in for a MOOG product, once I get that I'm gonna knuckle bust my way to replace and should be done with it. Although I'm positive with the type of hit I got that I'll be redoing CV axles in about 25,000mi (35,000km? Haha)

Either way, just want that random him to go away to enjoy this weather in DC!