Hit a pot hole ... suspension damage?

guestlinger

Reaction score
I hit a pothole today coming off a roundabout about 30mph. Massive thud. Steering shaking violently after impact. Then damaged suspension yellow warning light comes on dashboard telling me to not drive car. Then low pressure warning for front right tyre. Basically driver’s front right has a gaping hole in it (see pic). Alloy looks ok. No idea what the suspension damage is - what do you guys think the car sensors might be detecting for the yellow suspension light to come on? I spent 2 hrs then waiting for Audi Assist to recover car back to Local Audi main dealers.
11E10CA2 7906 45B0 B51B 46233E6EA9F5

Here’s a pic of the pothole. Basically a line of holes down the middle of the dual carriageway! Any one got any advice about pursuing the council for comp vs going with insurance claim?
74C73B99 5B1F 4597 A4A8 C8D4921682E7

Potholes typical break coil springs, damage tyres and/or hit the tracking out of adjustment

Reactions: guestlinger
I hit a pothole today coming off a roundabout about 30mph. Massive thud. Steering shaking violently after impact. Then damaged suspension yellow warning light comes on dashboard telling me to not drive car. Then low pressure warning for front right tyre. Basically driver’s front right has a gaping hole in it (see pic). Alloy looks ok. No idea what the suspension damage is - what do you guys think the car sensors might be detecting for the yellow suspension light to come on? I spent 2 hrs then waiting for Audi Assist to recover car back to Local Audi main dealers.
View attachment 144822

Here’s a pic of the pothole. Basically a line of holes down the middle of the dual carriageway! Any one got any advice about pursuing the council for comp vs going with insurance claim?
View attachment 144821
The council responsible for the road maintence in that area should have what to do in this case. However they will do the utmost to get away from paying if they claim they were unaware of the hole, was it marked up at all?

Any one got any advice about pursuing the council for comp vs going with insurance claim?

I have followed the advice on www.potholes.co.uk a couple of times and been paid. Saves burning your NCD.

The process is a little long winded and they deny liability at first but by second or third letter, they pay up.

My experience is you don't actually deal with the council. You do initially to get a claim form from them, but their cover is underwritten by an insurance giant like AXA, so once they step in then it's different story. You have to be able to prove that the council had prior knowledge of the pothole and failed to fix.

In a similar situation - hit a pothole doing about 25mph, and it shredded both my front and back tyre! The carpark attendant round the corner said there were 6 other cars that day which had done exactly the same. United Utilities came out and fixed it the next day. I'm going to try and claim. Apparently the council (Salford City) only pay out 50% due to "wear and tear" on tyres - which I kind of get, however the point still remains that they did have plenty of tread left on them and I wouldn't have had to shell out £500 a week after xmas otherwise.