Hit 250k today!

HelenB

Reaction score
My "not particularly cherished" in the past 2004 TDI 100 AVB engine just hit 250,000 miles today! Proud of the old girl. I've not actually had it long but I know the previous 2 owners. I know there are many out there with 300k but I'm very pleased with this for now! I've spent a fair bit of time ironing out the non-serious niggles with aircon, interior etc but the engine never misses a beat!
IMG 20201208 165232

Last edited:
Reactions: norris_309, Pie-eyedpiper, Retroman and 2 others
Nice to see! Gotta love a b6
Mines on 178k now, just a baby in comparison.
I've had it years & still love the car to be honest. Got oil leaking out of the egr which is annoying but hey ho

I've had it years & still love the car to be honest. Got oil leaking out of the egr which is annoying but hey ho
I've been running with the egr disabled for ages now thanks to good advice on here and have had no ill effects - it does reduce the oily mess a lot, and nice to know the engine is not breathing in its own farts and clogging up turbo vanes etc. Just need to put up with the dash light. I know you were looking into it. I regularly scan it to check for issues anyway so it's not alarming seeing the light on if you know everything else is good anyway.

It won't be oil leaking out of your EGR valve, it has no oil feed. It'll just be gooey carbon.
Why don't you just remove it completely?

Laziness.. can't deny it!
Although removing it completely would fail an MOT now a days wouldn't it? and also throw up the EML which i'd rather not.
I was going to try cleaning it up and replacing the seals at some point when i get the time to mess with it (maybe!...lol)

I've been running with the egr disabled for ages now thanks to good advice on here and have had no ill effects - it does reduce the oily mess a lot, and nice to know the engine is not breathing in its own farts and clogging up turbo vanes etc. Just need to put up with the dash light. I know you were looking into it. I regularly scan it to check for issues anyway so it's not alarming seeing the light on if you know everything else is good anyway.

Do you know if the Dash light clears when you reconnect it vacuum hose? or does it need to be cleared with vcds?

I'm pretty sure it will go out on its own when egr tube reconnected. The light occasionally goes out on its own even with egr disabled. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

Reactions: norris_309
Well the light went out after two short journeys once the egr pipe was reconnected. I do have a cheap <£20 scanner to turn the light off if needed but it seems to sort itself out where this code is concerned.

I thought I read somewhere that by just blanking off the EGR return while retaining the valve stops the light coming on?

I've removed mine altogether, I just don't like the hole in the engine cover looking so obvious and not too bothered with getting it mapped out as my local MOT tester is pretty easy going if you give him the heads-up.

So I thought about cleaning mine up and leaving the return blank in place and just plumbing the EGR back in so that for all intents and purposes it looks as though it is there and the light on the dash should go out but this time the engine isn't sucking itself off all the time..

Well the light went out after two short journeys once the egr pipe was reconnected. I do have a cheap <£20 scanner to turn the light off if needed but it seems to sort itself out where this code is concerned.

Thanks for taking the time to give that a go, it's good that the light does go out when reconnected. i don't think my cheapy scanner has the function to turn the light out?... maybe it does (just clearing fault codes might clear the light thinking about it)

I don't seem to have any ill effects from it but it's just the mess it's making now thats pee'ing me off. (not that you can see it unless you're looking for it mind you lol)

Reactions: HelenB