Hissing noise ?

mark_b1981

2009 audi a3 8p 2.0T TFSI
Reaction score
Hi all on my car when the econ is off I get a hissing sound coming from the air vents but when the econ light is on I don't get any hissing sounds atall does anyone have an idea of what this could be ?

I have a 53 reg 2.0 fsi thnx peeps

All I can think off is, when the econ light is off, the a/c is on and refridgerant is circulating around the a/c unit, maybe the refridgerant which also contains a special oil is what you can hear, there may also be air in the system if it has never been regassed causing a hiss. If you have not ever had a regas then it may be worth having done. A regas will extract all the refridgerant and oil, weigh it and refill the system with the correct amount of refridgerant and gas. Should cost about £45 these days.

I've had the car just a year and it's been doing it for a while now but as far as I know it's not been re gassed couldn't see anything on the old receipts. I was thinking / hoping it may just need a re gas I checked on the Audi site and they charge £79 but as you said another independent garage should charge a lot less

Had a listen to mine today and I can't hear anything like you say. I don't want you go spending money unnecessarily but it would be worth visiting an a/c expert and asking his opinion first.

Cheers soot my car is booked in on Thursday to get my front pads replaced when I drop it off I'll ask the machanic to have a listen and see if he knows what it is and tomorrow I'll take some video footage of it and post it up on here

Oh no nothing like that the hissing noise only come through the vents when air con it switched on and when switched off the hissing stops completely