Hissing noise/ blowing air

Layerz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My car is a 98 tdi 110 afn engine.

I have heard a hissing noise recently and thought it was the recirculator or egr thing.

But upon inspection just now I noticed that it was around the injector no.1 (the one nearest the windscreen) and I can feel air blowing out of it. I undid the fuel pipe ontop bleed it a bit and retightned it properly, and I also made sure the housing clamp for the injector was fully tightened.
But it is still blowing air and I am not sure how or why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yea it is the seal that needs replacing, lil ****** is only 6 months old!

The funny thing is I got it remapped today and the loose injector prolly helped it make more power as it is helping getting more air in.

Wouldn't the pressurised air(and fuel) be escaping from the dodgy injector???

Nah, just air it seems.

LOL I will put a thread up with the remap results if ya want

it'll be sucking in unmetered air to whichever cylinder is fed by the leaking injector. that'll make the mixture lean and burn hotter. sooner or later the hotter flame will have melted a hole all the way through your piston and suddenly the leak will become inconsequential as you'll be more concerned as to why all the oil has been blown out of your engine and it will only run on 3 cylinders.

sorry but i can't understand the mentality that thinks it's a good thing to get a remap when there's an obvious fault with the car.

never mind, it'll prolly have gone bang by the weekend so we won't have to worry about it

shineydave said:
i

sorry but i can't understand the mentality that thinks it's a good thing to get a remap when there's an obvious fault with the car.

never mind, it'll prolly have gone bang by the weekend so we won't have to worry about it

:laugh::laugh:

shineydave said:
it'll be sucking in unmetered air to whichever cylinder is fed by the leaking injector. that'll make the mixture lean and burn hotter. sooner or later the hotter flame will have melted a hole all the way through your piston and suddenly the leak will become inconsequential as you'll be more concerned as to why all the oil has been blown out of your engine and it will only run on 3 cylinders.

It was something I was part way through dealing with and I knew I just needed 1-2 hours to reseat the injector again.
I did check with the company who advised it would not be a problem as long as I made sure I dealt with it quickly.

Injector is now reseated, I am just unsure why it came loose or needed doing at all.

Dave I understand what you are saying but I only left the fault for a day max, I was just comenting that the tuners said the figure I got was higher on that day as a result.

Edit: I should clarify that this issue is now resolved.

Layerz said:
The funny thing is I got it remapped today and the loose injector prolly helped it make more power as it is helping getting more air in.

I would have said it will be down a little on power due to compression loss, see if they will put it back on the rollers now its sorted to get a propper reading.

i don't think you could effectively map a car that was sucking in unmetered air because you have no control over what's happening in that cylinder. a proper map shouldn't just rely on turning up the boost. infact turning up the boost should be the last resort. a decent tuner will optimise the timing advance and the fuel/air ratio whilst watching exhaust gas temps and Lambda readings first. obviously if unmetered air is being burned then this process can't happen so firstly the tune will be less than ideal and secondly it will reduce the life of the engine.

i'm dissapointed that a tuner has actually told you it'll be fine.

Dave, I need my car for 1500-2000 miles a month so any repairs are carried out hastily as possible as it is part of my income.

However I completley respect what you guys say as I know that you are all knowledgable and that is why I come here.

i'm actually impressed that you found the leak, i doubt many people would even realise there was a problem. my big gripe though is the tuner that advised you it'd be ok to map it when there's no way they could give you the service you asked for with such a fault.

you're not the first to have suffered such service from a tuner and i'm sure you won't be the last. it just highlights one of two things, either their prime motivator is money or they don't have the mechanical skills to provide a complete service.

at least it's all sorted now :icon_thumright:

Dave? or anyone else the problem is now back again but a bit worse.

I now have diesel coming out around the base of the injector(or where it goes into the block) and not sure what the hell is happening. It is only a very small trickle but enough to effect ecconomy.

Previously I just reseated the injector (and this seemed to be ok) and I will take one serious look on saturday when I got some light! I got a feeling it could be the washer was well and truley knackered, does anyone else have any other ideas thou?

Just replace the o ring seal, you said its only 6 months old but they could have caught / nicked the seal putting the injector into the head at factory,
If you take it to the dealers to get done under warranty the may re-flash the ecu at the same time and then you would lose the remap.

Nah I fitted the uprated injectors myself and the new oring was from audi.

I will recheck the entire injector this weekend and replace the seal, not sure why it has gone tbh being new.

Guys, ignore anything on this now, the engine died today with head gasket failure which I am gutted at.

I duno but I honestly had the feeling that something was not spot on the car for a while. Not sure if that was part of this problem and an early warning sign but went on the way to work.
But there was never any real sign or this happening but the past week or two it has been kinda obvious something was up a bit then today the temp light came on and temp went sky high.

I am not happy, but meh I enjoyed the car whilst it ran, I am now going to get the head skimmed and I am looking at something newer for around 8k.

On that note I need a receomendation for a car with good performance for 8k, so any suggestions?

Lol you posted that question in here so expect the obvious an S4 or another B5 lol!
This time dont ignore the early warning signs and take ppls advice when they give it!

I did take peoples advise matt and sorted the oring issue but it came back again, the slow water leak has been on the car for a long time.
But it has always been slow and my major issue has been that I have no holiday left due to a massive one a few months ago. I was hoping to sort the issues in jan as it was a suspected bung or valve.
I agree thou I should of found someway to get the car into a garage sooner then now to get it sorted. And on everything else on the car maintenance has always been carried out imediatley.........trust it to be the one thing you take the risk on.

I have decided I am going to keep her now, I was apauled by what was on offer for 8k in dealerships even looking around used car showrooms. (however I did test drive a mental megane r26)
I need to sort something for a few weeks or less whilst mine is brought back to life, I am gona get the head skimmed and nes bits done, but also a few other bits whilst they get it cracked open.

Reason for not getting a new car is that 8k goes better towards a new house.