Hire Van engine failure

Necroscope

Reaction score
Guys,

Some advice for a work friend please?

Our company hired a van from a well know local supplier, to visit site. On the return journey (a total journey distance of 233 miles) the oil light came on. My friend (and it is my friend, not me) pulled over and checked the oil level. There was none in, so he brought some oil and topped it up. I don't know at this point how much oil he added (I'm trying to confirm now). I don't know if all dash board lights had now gone off (checking with friend).

He then continued on his way. Shortly after the van started to smoke and he was forced to stop and call for roadside assistance. The van was then recovered as it was suspected that the turbo had failed. Prior to this recovery the oil level was checked again and was at the maximum.

Whilst on site it was noted that the van smelt during tick over and prior to the warning light coming on, the van had lost some power.

We are now looking at a bill in the region of 5K to replace the engine due to it being "overfilled with oil". They have sent us a photo showing the dipstick oil level a good 4 or 5 inches over the maximum level.

The van was a 2008 VW caddy. What the hell can we do now? Where could the oil have gone between the initial refill and the photo supplied to us this week?

Any and all advice appreciated, all questions welcomed.

you told them you topped it up

i would have played daft and kicked off cos it broke down

i work for a retail disputes team for a bank, get this all the time, its very hard to prove to them that your not to blame because you sign the papers at the start to say you agree with the condition, if he booked it on credit card, get him to call them, also get him to call trading standards... their number, 0845 404 0506

and also shouldnt there be an insurance for the van, so he may pay like £500 excess something along those lines?

i work for a retail disputes team for a bank, get this all the time, its very hard to prove to them that your not to blame because you sign the papers at the start to say you agree with the condition, if he booked it on credit card, get him to call them, also get him to call trading standards... their number, 0845 404 0506

When you mention calling the credit card company, are you referring to S75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974? If so, what would be the basis of his claim?

so under normal credit card rules we would need to see proof that the consumer didnt cause the issue, the only was we can see this is if they have documents from before the problem happend but chances are he hasnt got papers from them saying the turb is on the way out, so you mention S75... thats a legal act and i havnt been trained on it so i know very little about it thats why i added trading standards number, the people there have the legal training to give out the advice, but yes that way you would persue it would be section 75 of the CCA 1974,
youd be supprised what they can help you with! hope all goes well let us know!

but looks like his mate has admited filling the oil so jobs done

but i agree with TQ must be insurance with an excess

theyll sting their customers as much as they can and its so hard to dispute it but its worth a try for £5k!

Our company uses corporate insurance which at this point looks like it will not cover us. We are doing more digging on this though.

i would deffo call trading standards on the number above to see where you stand legally...

Prior to this recovery the oil level was checked again and was at the maximum.

They have sent us a photo showing the dipstick oil level a good 4 or 5 inches over the maximum level.

Trying to understand these 2 points, it was checked & it was on the maximum line of the dipstick yes? If so then its still within tolerance.

So if this is the case, how did the oil get to be 4-5 inches above the maximum line after your friend had topped up to the max line & tbh, I am finding this very hard to believe from the hire company tbh, sounds like a cop out by them.

Let me ask this, how large in litres was the oil bottle your friend bought, to put in the van & how much was left when he finished topping up?

You know when your friend initially checked the oil when he broke down - Did he check the oil straight away or check after couple of mins so the oil can settle?

Could be he did infact over fill.

Also £5k for an engine - Wow!

looks like the problem was impending prior to your mate acquiring the van.
ask for service records coz some of these companies service vans on the cheap.
I recently rented a Ford focus for 26days and two days after the service indicator came on.
I asked them for a replacement but they really dint care.
the rental firm was HERTZ.
Fight it as the problem was impending.
you only put in oil with your own money in good faith.
screw them lot.