Hill hold assist question

Paul Golding

Reaction score
For various reasons, I didn't include this option, so don't fully understand how it works. But, the other day I put the parking brake on whilst stationary at a set of lights on a hill, with the car still in drive. As you'd expect, the car sat still. As the lights changed, I just press the accelerator and the car smoothly went forward as the parking brake switch off by itself.

Seems like, pushing a button and staying still without holding the footbrake, much like HHA.

Just wondering what else I missed by not including HHA?

It's just that it essentially keeps all four brakes engaged once you come to a stop and will do it indefinitely without you having to pull on the handbrake manually each time. When you pull the handbrake it reverts to just the rear wheels as normal.

Ah, so on that journey, it will automatically work every time once pressed, whereas I'm using the handbrake each time.......and of course that only holds the rear wheels. Luckily, Essex isn't known for its hills.

Somebody was saying on another thread yesterday that HHA also keeps the brake lights on while you are stationary. Not good for those who are concerned about dazzling the driver behind.

Different issue, but I’ve often wondered what is happening to the clutch if you leave the gearshift in Drive with the electric parking brake on. I’m not very well-versed in the s tronic box, but I’m sure VAG will have thought about that and designed it so that the clutch is not damaged.

I ordered 'Hill Hold Assist' because I tow a big trailer sometimes. I think it is worth having the 4 brake system when on a hill when towing a load. Perhaps in most conditions it is generally redundant. I'll see how well it works when my car arrives - next week according to the salesman....

On my B9 I cant find anything which tells me if I have HSA but if I put my foot on the brake pedal for a few seconds with a dipped clutch pedal then release the clutch pedal,the car holds ( I guess for x amount of seconds) till I accelerate, I thought it was standard feature but it looks like im wrong?

No it should not, it’s dumbing down driving.
If people want it then they should have the choice, mass medication is not a solution.

If people want it then they should have the choice, mass medication is not a solution.
Taztastic; Maybe you should consider a more basic car if you don't like electronics? Others like me choose an Audi A4 because it has lots of electronic aids for safety and comfort.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, you ‘chose’ it but why should it be standard?

Have you removed the ESP, Traction control, ABS, power steering, 4wd, etc from your car ? I am sure it's achievable with a bit of fuse box tweaking.

The driving would be all the more exciting.

:rock:

Reactions: gone and france71
Yes, you ‘chose’ it but why should it be standard?
Because it is an expensive car and I feel for the price at that premium car level they should include it. Maybe they can have a 'I don't want it option' for those that want a simpler set up. Frankly if you already accept a car with an electronic handbrake why is the Hill hold a problem?

For me it is like having to pay for metallic paint- they should include a bigger choice of paint than just solid white or solid black. People have put up with option add ons inflated prices for too long.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: happytalk73
The first link is the £75 option, yes you have to apply the handbrake yourself but it will release automatically when you pull away. I have the HA option however once a car has pulled up behind me out of courtesy I pull on the handbrake so as my brake lights aren't dazzling them..

Reactions: happytalk73 and gone
I agree, I also manually pull on the handbrake for this reason.
The system should extinguish the brake lights, it’s a good feature poorly executed imho and was already specced on my car, I wouldn’t spend £75 on it. It’s a ‘lazy’ option to me, I wonder how many would say it’s not needed if the car was £75 more and had it as standard?

Having had it on two on my Audi's I would disagree it is a lazy option and it is very well executed as the rear brake lights being on indicate my car is stationary in the dark, or in reduced visibility. But it's like most options, they are always going to me 'marmite'.

Reactions: france71
My current Golf has this as standard and I find it to be one of the most useful features combined with an auto gearbox. When I come to a brief stop at a junction, that might be on a slope, I can come to a stop and move my foot to the accelerator ready for a quick pull away. It sounds so trivial but I was surprised by how handy it is. So this is the only optional extra I’ve specified on my upcoming A4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RaZ A4 and france71
... You might compare it to holding the car stationary on the biting point when driving a manual.

Does this not allow you to take foot off break and still allow stop/start to activate?

So the general consensus is that Hill Hold Assist is a useful option and not a poorly executed electronic add-on. I thought it would be useful too and have ordered it. I stand by my earlier statement that Audi could have built this in as standard.

Reactions: happytalk73
Its an absolute must, I would insist on it, especially on an automatic as it stops you creeping and having to keep your foot on the brake when stopped.
The only disappointment is that the brake lights stay on, on my B8 the Hill Hold didn't keep them on for long.
As for being a lazy option if you take that point of view why not go without an auto, satnav and adaptive cruise and do everything the hard way.
Personally I like being able to choose if I want to take it easy and let the technology do the work or be more involved, it depends on the journey and my mood but on a long journey I will happily let the technology do the work.

Reactions: happytalk73, Whytho1001 and cuke2u
Does this not allow you to take foot off break and still allow stop/start to activate?

If stop/start is active, engine will stop as car comes to halt, HHA activates. Driver removes foot from brake, car remains stationary with engine off. Rear brake lights remain lit. When driver presses accelerator, engine restarts and HHA deactivates simultaneously. That’s how it works on the Golf anyway. Hopefully the same on Audi.

It was reading those links before the original post that made me wonder about the difference. Especially as it mentions pushing a button is needed. I'm still impressed with the way the electric handbrake does a similar job including allowing the pullaway and the added bonus of not leaving the brake lights on while stopped.

I understand that on steeper hills and if towing, holding on all 4 wheels must be an advantage though.

If stop/start is active, engine will stop as car comes to halt, HHA activates. Driver removes foot from brake, car remains stationary with engine off. Rear brake lights remain lit. When driver presses accelerator, engine restarts and HHA deactivates simultaneously. That’s how it works on the Golf anyway. Hopefully the same on Audi.

HHA Deactivates when you accelerate away it doesn't deactivate when you dab the accelerator to start the engine in anticipation of moving away, If I need to accelerate firmly I put the gearbox in sport anyway which disables stop/start, and gives you a more reliable and prompt move away.

I seem to be getting a right bashing here

lazy option, yes, you don't have to do anything, the car does it all for you, why would anyone spend £75 on a device that allows them to take their foot off the brake pedal to stop auto creep? If it didn't leave the brake lights on then it would be useful, I flick the handbrake switch so the lights extinguish, there is nothing more than some LAZY git in front who can't be bothered to apply the handbrake.

Reactions: Kestrel