Hill Hold Assist Question

I

Ignition1

Hi all

Had a question about the hill hold assist option.

In my Dad's 2006 A6 Multitronic when you are on a hill, you would hold the car by keeping your foot on the brake. When you want to move forward you can release your foot off the brake and it seems to adjust the power accordingly to move. Is this not what the A3 does?

I.e. I'm on a hill, foot on the brake, then I take my foot off and it'll move forward? How would hill hold work here?

Cheers.

There are 2 functions which you should be aware of potentially confusing.

Hill Hold comes as standard on all A3's and S3's, Manual and DSG.

Hold Assist is an option, and does something different.

To answer the last part of your post - Hill Hold comes as standard on all A3's, on a hill, if you take your foot off the brake, it will hold the car for approx 2 seconds giving you time to get on the throttle.

More in the FAQ's:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...stions-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/#post-2286206

There are 2 functions which you should be aware of potentially confusing.

Hill Hold comes as standard on all A3's and S3's, Manual and DSG.

Hold Assist is an option, and does something different.

To answer the last part of your post - Hill Hold comes as standard on all A3's, on a hill, if you take your foot off the brake, it will hold the car for approx 2 seconds giving you time to get on the throttle.

More in the FAQ's:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...stions-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/#post-2286206

*S-Tronic, dsg is VW derived name

Reactions: PhillW
Bo11oc*s.

DSG is the type of gearbox.
Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe

S-tronic is Audi's ****** name for a DSG gearbox.

Besides which, the DSG gearbox in your car is built by VW in a VW factory ;)

Last edited:
DSG is not a VW name.

DSG is the type of gearbox, perfectly valid to use DSG.

Don't be a badge snob :p

As we know, the brochure is cack.

And don't worry, Audi originally also used the DSG terminology to describe the, err, DSG gearbox.

When ordering my car neither me or the salesman mentioned 's-tronic', it was DSG all the way through lol

But I thought automatics don't roll back why would you need hill hold assist?

The DSG gearbox isn't an automatic in the traditional torque converter sense.

It needs time to engage the clutches (if you've pressed the brake pedal hard enough), before it "creeps". So there will be a period of time without any drive.

Also - when it restarts from start stop it needs time to spin up and engage the clutches - so you need Hill Hold to stop you rolling backwards during this time.

I didnt get hill hold assist will find out in over a week if I needed it.

I didn't get it last time, debated it this time but found I kept switching it off more than I had it on (on the hire cars and courtesy cars I've driven with it I've found it can interfere when manoeuvring as it makes it tricky to move smoothly), so I didn't spec it this time either.

Reactions: veeeight
If we are talking about the optional Hold Assist rather than the standard Hill Hold, I included it with my 8V but after using it for a few weeks found it intrusive and now leave it switched off all the time. I certainly would not order it again much preferring to using the EPB.

The thing is though, with options, people just say "It's only £90 for HA" or "Its only £300 more for Connect" -

In reality, if your financing your car eg PCP - you're paying much more for it on finance/credit ....... APR 7.n % !

It works out quite expensive if you hardly use those options!

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
It's one of those tiny things that makes a massive difference, I find it to be so awesome.

It's incredibly handy to just keep the car held in place and how it engages and releases the brake is mega.

Reactions: Don76
It's probably one of the cheapest option though so adding that particular one won't break the bank unlike adding a full blown tech pack with connect

Maybe just skip going down the pub for 2 nights and save that £90

On the plus side its an option, so you can decide whether you pay for it or not. Unlike a certain VW where you pay for it regardless

If we are talking about the optional Hold Assist rather than the standard Hill Hold, I included it with my 8V but after using it for a few weeks found it intrusive and now leave it switched off all the time. I certainly would not order it again much preferring to using the EPB.
I didn't manage a few weeks, just a few days. Didn't like it at all!!
Isn't it great how different we can all be?

Hold Assist hinders the traffic light Grand Prix, or at a busy roundabout, where you have to creep forward in minute amounts. Plus there is the HA release delay, compared to no delay without HA.

If driving a S-tronic, I prefer not using the hold assist.
(actually I prefer no HA, period)

There are also (frequently) times when I don't want it to apply the foot brake, or parking brake for me automatically, for example, after a high speed run I want to sit and idle on level ground with the DSG Park Pawl engaged, but not have hot brake pads clamped against a relatively hot disc.

Slow speed precision manoeuvring, particularly precision reversing up a steep incline are situations where HA hinders, rather than assists.

Plus HA doesn't work well going through conveyor type car washes ;)

For me Hold Assist is not a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: h5djr
So does the car automatically roll forward on it's own if left in 'Drive'?
If that's the case then I guess I wouldn't need to use HA to stop me rolling backwards.

Reactions: RichardT
Yes the S-tronic has a built in 'creep' mode to mimic the characteristics of a traditional auto box.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Damn, don't know why I specced HA then :(
I didn't like the motion of rolling backwards on hills

Hill Hold (fitted as standard) would prevent you rolling backwards.

HA is for people that can't manage to keep their foot on the brake pedal at the traffic lights, or use the Park Brake Switch.

<puts on tin hat>

Reactions: h5djr
Does it not depend on how much force is applied to the brake pedal.

If you push hard when you come to a stop HA will activate. If you only lightly press on the brake pedal to come to stop the car will roll forward if you come off the pedal.

Pretty sure this is the same with stop/start.

Another gripe I have with hold assist is it leaves the brake lights on. I was always taught that when stopped at traffic lights at night to take your foot off the brake and apply the handbrake so that you don't dazzle the car behind. I know most people don't seem to do this, but I try and do it whenever I can - which would mean another scenario in which HA wouldn't assist!

Reactions: cuke2u and veeeight
Hill Hold (fitted as standard) would prevent you rolling backwards.

HA is for people that can't manage to keep their foot on the brake pedal at the traffic lights, or use the Park Brake Switch.

<puts on tin hat>
As I've said many times in past threads, it also keeps your brake lights ON all the time you are stopped, which is inconsiderate to the driver behind, especially at night. How on earth did those people who think it's 'invaluable' manage to drive before it was available? Surely clicking the EPB switch is no real hardship. It releases automatically as soon as you move forward.

Reactions: cuke2u
As I've said many times in past threads, it also keeps your brake lights ON all the time you are stopped, which is inconsiderate to the driver behind, especially at night. How on earth did those people who think it's 'invaluable' manage to drive before it was available? Surely clicking the EPB switch is no real hardship. It releases automatically as soon as you move forward.

But it's so awesome when you don't have to touch anything and car does it all for you. Feel like a king sitting there just driving the car and not a lot else with S-Tronic, ACC, hill assist.

But it's so awesome when you don't have to touch anything and car does it all for you. Feel like a king sitting there just driving the car and not a lot else with S-Tronic, ACC, hill assist.

It can also make for a very lazy driver who is concentrating on other things when driving. Personally I prefer to 'drive' my car myself and only use things like ACC in traffic queues and speed restricted roadworks.

Reactions: David83S3 and veeeight