Hill Hold Assist HHA

dieseldoug

Reaction score
Can HHA be retrofitted into a 13 plate car, local dealer said no without looking into it.

'Hill Hold' is standard fit equipment. I think you are talking about 'Hold Assist' - just to clarify!

Subject to abs controller in most circumstances, so if it codes in ok, then yes it should possible.

'Hill Hold' is standard fit equipment. I think you are talking about 'Hold Assist' - just to clarify!

Is Hill Hold standard with a manual gearbox. I know it is with the s-tronic gearbox but not sure about a manual.

Is Hill Hold standard with a manual gearbox. I know it is with the s-tronic gearbox but not sure about a manual.

Sorry Dave I think you are wrong!!

Hold Assist UH2 is NOT standard on A/S3 with Manual OR S Tronic"

I know Hold Assist (UH2) is not standard on any model but HILL Hold Assist is standard, at least on the s-tronic although I'm not sure if it is on a Manual. As I said before, too many assists, just Hold and Hill Hold. All HILL Hold Assist does is stops the car from rolling backwards on a HILL when the hand or parking brake is released. HOLD Assist keeps the car still whenever you stop, hill or flat ground.

He said 'Hill Hold', not 'Hold Assist' - and yes, Hill Hold is standard.

This is why I correct people every time I see the terms being used interchangably - it's good to be clear!

• Hill Hold is a standard fit.
  • Hold Assist is the £90 option.
  • There is no such thing as 'Hill Hold Assist'

Suggest you guys read the Audi definition (link below)

Hill hold assist – Audi A3 - Audi UK

S tronic like most auto boxes have the creaping forward ability not present on manuals.

The £90 option as in my post hash 5 is NOT standard on any version. The brochure refers to it as hold assist on Audi web it is referred to as 'hill hold assist' bizarrely as it works on flat too!

Last edited:
He said 'Hill Hold', not 'Hold Assist' - and yes, Hill Hold is standard.

This is why I correct people every time I see the terms being used interchangably - it's good to be clear!

• Hill Hold is a standard fit.
  • Hold Assist is the £90 option.
  • There is no such thing as 'Hill Hold Assist'

Except on page 95 of the Owner's Manual. It refers in the LH column to Hold Assist and at the bottom of the RH Column to Hill Hold Assist and gives details for both. Hold Assist "helps the driver if the vehicle is stationary for a long period or very often for instance at traffic lights, on steep gradients or in stop start traffic" HILL HOLD ASSIST "the sytem is activated when you press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds. When you release the brake pedal the braking force will be maintained for a moment in order to hold the vehicle and make it easier for you to drive away"

As I said there are two different systems, HOLD ASSIST which works whenever the car stops and this is the one that is the £90 option (UH2). HILL HOLD ASSIST just holds the car for a minute or so to help you do a hill start when the parking brake is released. This is the one that is standard, certainly on a car with an s-tronic gearbox. I think even Audi have got the description up the creek on their website. I have HILL HOLD ASSIST on my current 8P sportback and it came as standard. HOLD ASSIST was not available.

It may well be that on the 8V if a car is NOT fitted with the optional HOLD ASSIST it gets HILL HOLD ASSIST instead. In each case on park 25 of the 8V owners Manual it does say under the title for each system "Applies to vehicles: with Hold Assist" or "Applies to vehicles: with hill hold assist"

Looks to me like even Audi get confused by this and have mixed up the terminology on the website.
My understanding is that "hill hold" is standard on all models, and just gives you that couple of seconds of hold while you put the car in gear before moving away on a hill, to stop you slipping backwards or forward before the clutch takes over.
"Hold Assist" is the £90 option that holds indefinitely when activated.
This is correct yes?

Reactions: concoursneil, warren_S5, Richyboyp and 2 others
Looks to me like even Audi get confused by this and have mixed up the terminology on the website.
My understanding is that "hill hold" is standard on all models, and just gives you that couple of seconds of hold while you put the car in gear before moving away on a hill, to stop you slipping backwards or forward before the clutch takes over.
This is correct yes?

That's what I thought but it seems even Audi mix them up just to confuse things!

We can say for certain though that Hold Assist is the £90 option that is being talked about in this thread, and Hill Hold or Hill Hold Assist where mentioned both refer to the standard fit equipment, so can't obviously be retrofitted!

Reactions: h5djr
This is correct yes?

Exactly. Hold Assist is new to the 8V. Hill Hold Assist is on the 8V but was also on the 8P.

Hill Hold is definitely standard on all A/S3 with s-tronic.

Hold Assist is a £90 Option.

To the OP: Yes, it *probably* can be retrofitted - but at the moment! nobody knows the Security Code for the ABS module so we can't code it in on VCDS, you also need the additional Hold Assist button fitting in the centre console, and you need the wiring harness and connectors to connect this button to the ABS module.

Just to show that even Audi are confused...

On the Audi UK website, in the Glossary section they have come up with yet another name (for Hill Hold Assist) Hill-start assist which if they used all the time would probably stop some of the confusion and better describes the function of Hill hold assist but they still don't say if it only applies to cars with s-tronic or for manual as well.

Hill start assist

Easy starting with no roll-back. The hill-start assist function helps you drive off on a hill. If you hold down the foot brake for a time when the vehicle is stationary, the brake pressure is retained for brief a moment after you release the brake pedal – relaxed starting on any hill or incline with no roll-back.

Stress-free hill-starting: the hill-start assist function provides assistance and safety for driving off on an incline. The advantage: as you change from the brake to the accelerator, the car remains stationary for long enough and – thanks to the system’s automatic braking intervention – you can easily pull away without rolling back. Hill-start assist is a particularly valuable feature in combination with a towing bracket.

Reactions: warren_S5
Yes Hill Hold appears to be standard fit, manual or S-tronic.

I am in a very basic 1.4SE Manual today, without UH2 Hold Assist fitted, and the car will not roll back on inclines, for up to 3 seconds after releasing the foot brake.

I bet all this is really helping the OP with his retrofitting question....

Reactions: hittchy
I bet all this is really helping the OP with his retrofitting question....

At least we have worked out that Hill Hold and Hold Assist are not the same. Hill Hold is fitted as standard and Hold Assist is an option.

The OP was asking about Hill Hold Assist which if fact does not exist, so it cannot be retro fitted. Hill Hold he will already have as it's standard. I don't know if Hold Assist can be retro fitted. Most people have added to their order so it may not have come up yet. It does not seem to be mentioned in the 8V-VCDS Mods thread as yet. Perhaps he should ask his dealer.

At least we have worked out that Hill Hold and Hold Assist are not the same. Hill Hold is fitted as standard and Hold Assist is an option.

The OP was asking about Hill Hold Assist which if fact does not exist, so it cannot be retro fitted. Hill Hold he will already have as it's standard. I don't know if Hold Assist can be retro fitted. Most people have added to their order so it may not have come up yet. It does not seem to be mentioned in the 8V-VCDS Mods thread as yet. Perhaps he should ask his dealer.

So...a related question...if you have hold assist and thus you can release your foot from the brake once you've stopped and this has kicked in, can you leave it in drive like that indefinately? Is there a point at which you should move the gearbox back to park? Surely with hold assist 'holding' the car static, but the car is in drive, the gearbox/clutch is under strain and mighth wear?

I think.... After a predetermined time, the clutches disengage?

(and I would personally just nudge it back into "N" rather than "P", don't want to give the driver behind kittens by flashing up the white reverse lights !!! )

OK, so technically, you can just leave it in drive then?

So...a related question...if you have hold assist and thus you can release your foot from the brake once you've stopped and this has kicked in, can you leave it in drive like that indefinately? Is there a point at which you should move the gearbox back to park? Surely with hold assist 'holding' the car static, but the car is in drive, the gearbox/clutch is under strain and mighth wear?

If all the conditions are met for Auto Stop/Start I would guess this is not an issue, or perhaps the Stron box is clever enough to release the clutch once the handbrake kicks in?

Is there really any need for it, in particular now when (sadly, as you cannot perform handbrakes slides in snow any longer) all handbrakes are electronic (which anyway prevents you from rolling backwards [if you have a slow foot])?

The handbrake has a small hesitation before releasing as compared to the hold assist, and the hold assist comes on automatically as well.

Totally confused now! I. Didn't spec the £90 option on my SE so what do I have as standard and what does it do exactly?

You have hill hold, which holds the car for a few seconds on a hill when you let go of the brake so you can pull away without rolling backwards

You have hill hold, which holds the car for a few seconds on a hill when you let go of the brake so you can pull away without rolling backwards
I don't want to appear a complete idiot here but on a hill you would engage gear no foot brake applied release the hand brake ,,and the car will hold without rolling back.In practice,Is a few seconds of this feature enough ?Does it suddenly let go after this?
I presume you should also hold the foot brake on as a back up?
I am sorry to appear ignorant,but its all new to me!

The idea of Hill Hold is to hold the car long enough for you to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal if you have been holding the car on the foot brake only and not using the hand brake.

The idea of Hill Hold is to hold the car long enough for you to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal if you have been holding the car on the foot brake only and not using the hand brake.

So, paying extra when you have this as standard - what more do you need?

So, paying extra when you have this as standard - what more do you need?

It's not the same. Hold Assist comes on every time when you stop (whether on a hill or not), works when facing downhill too, and holds for an unlimited time. Also, it'll convert to handbrake if you take off the seatbelt, open the door or turn off the ignition.

It's not the same. Hold Assist comes on every time when you stop (whether on a hill or not), works when facing downhill too, and holds for an unlimited time. Also, it'll convert to handbrake if you take off the seatbelt, open the door or turn off the ignition.

Seems pretty useless to pay for if you are asking me unless you are a lazy (American):) but of course, I may be wrong :)

edir: unless you are using in it combination with ACC and S-tronic, and you are cueing down hill?

By the same logic, Seems useless to pay for auto lights and auto wiper as well, unless you are a lazy (American).

Surely you can see it's raining and when it's dark ;)

By the same logic, Seems useless to pay for auto lights and auto wiper as well, unless you are a lazy (American).

Surely you can see it's raining and when it's dark ;)
Plenty of stupid British people driving around, when it is dark and raining, without lights on!!! Or with barely visible sidelights.

Also, a lot of people don't seem to realise that auto lights don't work when there is daytime fog.

Daylight running lights should be compulsory. Yes, a lot of the time they are not needed, but there are times when lights are really needed and people don't use them!

Edit to add: My Mk6 GTD with DSG has hill hold, which works for 2 seconds after the brake is release before the car will move forward, unless the accelerator is pressed. I wish Hold Assist or Auto Hold (as VW are calling it) had been available. Works so well with Stronic. Great for queuing in traffic.

Last edited:
Daylight running lights should be compulsory. Yes, a lot of the time they are not needed, but there are times when lights are really needed and people don't use them!

Full headlights should be on at all times, like in Sweden (who introduced it after changing from driving on left to right overnight in the 60's).

<rant>Side lights should be banned - they are utterly pointless - merely convince people they have lights on as their dash is lit up...</rant>

No need for full headlights as that will also cause problems. We have DRL's and all cars 'type approved' from February 2011 must have them...

Agree side lights are useless. They should be renamed 'parking lights' really, can't think of any other situation where you'd want to use them.

Did you also order without a starter motor (only lazy people don't hand-crank engines!), no power steering (just for lazy people), no automatic choke (can't believe how lazy some people get!) etc?

:p

Reactions: McAudi and BGS