Hill-Hold and Start-Stop

alpesh26

Reaction score
My 2016 A5 has Hill-Hold assist and Start-Stop, but the 2 don't seem to work well together.

When I stop and the start-stop turns off the engine, the hill hold will also come on, but I have to keep my foot on the brake to keep the engine off which defeats the purpose of hill hold. As soon as i release the foot brake, the engine will start.

Does anyone else have the hill hold option? How does yours work with the start-stop?

I've had a 66 plate A6 courtesy car which has both of these features and when the start stop turns off the engine i can completely take my foot off the brake and the hill hold will hold the brake. The engine only starts when i press the accelerator pedal. My dads 2013 Golf behaves in the same way as the A6.

Yup...S5 here with both and have the same issue.

Never knew the A6 did it properly though...! Now I'm annoyed!

I've learnt to put just the right amount of break force to engage hill hold, but not stop start. You can hear a gentle click. Only use stop start when I know the wait is going to be long.

Our 2012 VW Touareg has HH & SS. It works like my PFL (without HH) 2016 S5 in that lifting off the brake restarts the car. I had a 2014 A3 with HH & SS. It worked the other way around - you pushed the accelerator to restart the motor. I seem to recollect that the FL A5/S5 works like my A3 dis.

I suspect it is just a change that gets phased in as newer models are brought out. HH on a car that uses off-brake to restart the car is pretty much pointless, but fabulous on cars that depressing the accelerator restarts the car. IMHO of course.

Reactions: DrEskimo
HH on a car that uses off-brake to restart the car is pretty much pointless, but fabulous on cars that depressing the accelerator restarts the car

Exactly this! I had Audi look at it whilst it was in for the warranty work and they said that it was normal behaviour for it to start when the footbrake was released. I wanted to check on here to make sure they weren't bullsh*tting me.

I've had the A6 courtesy car longer than my own - not sure I want to give it back now!!

Tbh I only chose the HH on the S3 and my new S5 to fill the gap. i think on the S3 HH and SS come on when I stop and both release when I hit the throttle. Will have to adapt to the S5 or just turn it off I guess.

Got mixed up. My 2106 S5 is, obviously a FL model and I seem to recall a post that says the 2017 B9 A5/S5 uses the depression of the accelerator to restart the engine. I have a nearly fully loaded 2016 S5 - I don't miss HH. If I had a nearly fully loaded 2017 S5, I would (assuming I have the HH/SS operation correct)

I confirm too that my S5 has less than perfect HHA/SS design. I'd like to need a bit more pressure to activate SS and then it would be fine. The issue is perhaps less of a problem for me since I mostly do short journeys and my SS disables itself a lot of the time.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Wish I could turn off Start-Stop with VCDS. I could just press the button in the car to turn it off but I want maximum convenience :wink new:

Turns out you can turn off start-stop with VCDS. I managed to make the car remember the last setting of the start-stop instead so its probably a bit better than deactivating it completely