Hill Assist / Hill Hold Assist

Without wishing to sound like a d*ck (quack quack), the answer is 'more effort than I'm prepared to expend given I've only ever experienced push-back against brake lights from a few people on this forum'.

If I spent my life getting flashed / beeped / flipped off at every set of traffic lights I'd change my behaviour but until that day I'd prefer to keep using HA.
I'm obviously 'of the old school' because when I was taught to drive I was taught it was good manners not to have your brake lights shining in the face of the driver behind. But these days such common courtesy seems to have gone out of the window. Everyone now only seems to be interested in how things affect them and not others.

Highway Code

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

We've both said our pieces and we're clearly never going to agree so I'll bow out (until the next thread fires up in a few months.... ;) ).

Perhaps the next times it crops up the poster will get the titles correct: Hill Assist + Hold Assist. They are two totally different 'assists'. One is free (Hill Assist) and comes as standard on all A3s and is very useful with no side effects and the other (Hold Assist) is a £90 option which obvious some members love and other loathe.

Reactions: Rob2k68
It's worth £90 so you can read and comment in this thread !:undwech:

£90 .... Over a 3 or 4 year PCP interest .... Is more .......

Reactions: elpaulio and Rob2k68
I only paid £65 for HHA on my S4

Just saying ... :whistle2: :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Reactions: Blackwhite
100% love my hold assist! I have S-tronic so its a god send.

I don't see why so many people get there knickers in a twist with the brake lights. I sit behind people in a traffic jam all the time with there brake lights shining, doesn't bother me at all. Why would you just sit and watch the car in front at a traffic jam, sure there is other things you could be looking at or doing. My opinion of course!

1. Because it's inconsiderate.

2. Because it's against the recommendations of the Highway Code.

3. You may not care, but it may be extremely painful to an older person with macular degeneration and cataracts, and these conditions make you much more susceptible to starbursts, halos and glare in your eyesight, particularly in night vision.

the word recommendations says it all.

Agree if its going to be a long time fair enough, put the handbrake on but for short stops starts its highly going to affect people that much.

In the dark it may seem bright but I rarely give it a thought when someone in front of me leaves them on.

anyhoo every has an opinion and there is mine!

I still love my hold assist.

"Recommendation" in the Highway Code means

If an accident were to take place
And you were found to be doing something contrary to the "recommendation" in the Highway Code

then you would be liable for prosecution.

It's the distinct difference between the words "must" and "should" in the HC.

highly to have an accident standing still with my brake lights on but can see where you are going with this.

Appreciate you are strong against having the brake lights left on and that's your opinion and I will accept that.

I am not here to argue who's right or wrong. I feel sometimes things are just blown a little out of proportion.

edit:

Well there you are. I was wrong. Rule 114 is a "must" (not a should):

Highway Code

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

lol

I'd love to see you produce evidence of a single prosecution, assignment of blame by an insurer, or points on a license for someone having their brake lights on whilst stationary.

Reactions: j0nny2013
use of any lights as in neon lights, leaving high beam etc on but these are brake lights which I thought were used to let people know you are braking / stopped.

I don't think this code was actually used for standing stationary with your brake lights on.

lol

I'd love to see you produce evidence of a single prosecution, assignment of blame by an insurer, or points on a license for someone having their brake lights on whilst stationary.

Plenty of prosecutions for fog lights, both front and rear :)

Plenty of prosecutions for fog lights, both front and rear :)

to be fair, if you use your fog lights when its not foggy, you should be prosecuted for being a tool

Reactions: Russkiya and JohnM100
Personally when I was taught to drive, albeit many years ago, I was taught that it was bad manners and in-considerate to other drivers to stop and leave your brake lights on. But these days manners and consideration for other drives seems to be a thing of the past.

There is a possibility that I may be ordering a new A3 although mine is only 15 months old and the one thing I will not be including in the spec for the new car will be Hold Assist. I have it on my current A3 but when I found out it kept the brake lights on I switched it off and have never missed it. After all clicking a switch to apply the parking brake is not that much of a hardship and it even releases automatically.

The Highway Code (that document that you had to read to pass your test but have probably never looked at since) actually adds to the You MUST NOT mentioned earlier the following paragraph:
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their footoff the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

One thing I have is good manners and if because I don't immediately put my handbrake on for the two minutes I'm stopped to be "inconsiderate" then whoever can call me anything under the sun.

I never in all my life had anyone complain about someone's brake lights and never was advised about this when I passed.

I think smoking in the car is highly dangerous as well as using your mobile.

Biggest distraction of all. Yet people are allowed to do it.

Brake lights should be a minor compared to many other things road users do that are also in the highways code.

And the Highway Code is simar to the law, no one can sit on here and know it all, don't care what anyone says.

Wish I didn't bother saying I liked mine! World war 3 over brake lights haha

One thing I have is good manners and if because I don't immediately put my handbrake on for the two minutes I'm stopped to be "inconsiderate" then whoever can call me anything under the sun.

I never in all my life had anyone complain about someone's brake lights and never was advised about this when I passed.

I think smoking in the car is highly dangerous as well as using your mobile.

Biggest distraction of all. Yet people are allowed to do it.

Brake lights should be a minor compared to many other things road users do that are also in the highways code.

And the Highway Code is simar to the law, no one can sit on here and know it all, don't care what anyone says.

Wish I didn't bother saying I liked mine! World war 3 over brake lights haha
I certainly agree with you about using a phone in the car, hand-held or hands free is it's actually dangerous rather than just annoying to other road users. I often 'comment' on other drivers who leave their brake lights on when stopped but I'm the only one who hears my comment. I just put it down to them being an in-considerate driver. It's not really a problem in daylight but it can be more of a problem sitting behind a car with it's brake lights on when it's dark. It's not dangerous, just in my opinion in-considerate.

I should just go and have you pint! Don't drink too many though especially if you are driving:friendly wink:

Must admit that after 3.5k miles I now leave this swiched off similar to S/S and mainly for the same reason which is to get a quick getaway at junctions and use the P/B if I'm at lights that have just changes so I know I'll be there for a few minutes. I'm probably too heavy footed as I know you can control both using the brake pedal pressure.

Just my driving style I guess and the journeys and roads used. For £90 glad I have it though so I could try it out. At £65 on an S4 it's a bargain @Bristle Hound - have you got it yet ????

I drive in and around London a lot during the day in constant stop start traffic, and this option is great for me.

I find that I get no hesitation from it when pulling away, but I do find my PB is a little hesitant to release - not jerky like some have mentioned, but it isn't smooth.

for town driving I think it is great and well worth the £90

Reactions: Rob2k68
lol let you off then :)

I always thought that it was a waste of time, but then I tried it on a test drive of the A5 s-tronic a couple of weeks back...Once back in the showroom I added it as one of my options lol :) I got lucky as well, for some reason it didn't add anything to the price!!! I asked why and she said "I gave you a bit more discount so that you get it for free" :) It made me think if they wanted me to add it, as they know the car is coming back to them at some point! and she had said on the test drive "If we order a car for a boss or demo they tell us to add it".

Hi all,

Apologies for reviving such an old threat, but reading through all the comments, I have a question... I’m considering having the Hold Assist retro fitted to my A3. Once fitted, can this be simply switched on and off by the centre console switch? I tend to like having the option of these types of things. And if so, when it’s off, does the switch display any indication light at all? Thanks.

Hi all,

Apologies for reviving such an old threat, but reading through all the comments, I have a question... I’m considering having the Hold Assist retro fitted to my A3. Once fitted, can this be simply switched on and off by the centre console switch? I tend to like having the option of these types of things. And if so, when it’s off, does the switch display any indication light at all? Thanks.

Yes it can be switched off using the button

When off, the LED on the button does not light up.

When on and in use (ie stationary) the handbrake icon lights green on the dashboard/VC if you had enough pressure on brake pedal for it to kick in.

Yes it can be switched off using the button

When off, the LED on the button does not light up.

When on and in use (ie stationary) the handbrake icon lights green on the dashboard/VC if you had enough pressure on brake pedal for it to kick in.
Great, thank you!