Hill Assist / Hill Hold Assist

hittchy

Reaction score
I thought I'd clarify this to help anyone thinking of adding the option to their order. I couldn't get much sense from my local Audi dealer when I placed my order.

I believe all A3s come with Hill Assist which holds the car for a few seconds to avoid roll back when moving off from standstill.

Hill Hold Assist is an optional extra and indefinitely holds the car when you come to a standstill. When active (there's a button next to the parking brake switch), every time you stop and firmly press the brake pedal it activates and shows a green handbrake light on the dash. This works particularly well in stop-start traffic, exiting busy motorway slip roads or approaching roundabouts. Just like the parking brake, it auto-releases when you move off again. A light touch of the brake pedal doesn't activate it, meaning you can creep out of junctions etc. if necessary.

It also automatically applies the full parking brake when you remove your seatbelt or switch off the ignition, with a red handbrake indicator lamp on the dash. In fact, it removes the need to use the parking brake switch entirely as it automates the whole process.

When you re-start your car, it remembers the last setting meaning you don't have to re-activate it every time you drive off (if only stop-start would do the same!)

I hope this helps people make an informed decision.

Reactions: knight92
Was wondering about this the other day actually because I noticed, as you said, that my normal 8v was holding for me on hill starts anyway.

I too have hold assist and apart from releasing the handbrake initially I find I don't have to touch it at any other time.

Finding it really useful.

Cheers.

I'm loving it more and more. I haven't touched the parking brake switch in a week. It releases seamlessly off my driveway, holds at every junction then as soon as I take off my seatbelt the main parking brake comes on.

Genius!

I'm still at the stage where I double/triple check that the red light is on though before jumping out.

Nice post hittchy

If Audi UK had used your description in the price list, I would of probably added this to my vehicle. The price list makes it sound like you have to activate it by button on every journey which made me think 'I might as well not bother, I'll just use the elec parking brake', whereas you explain it remembers the last setting and automatically applies the elec parking brake when switching off the ignition – nice. I did consider it at the time of ordering, I even asked a Salesman for clarification and he seemed clueless, so I left it off.

I wonder if this could be retrofitted?

Reactions: hittchy
Thanks for this post, it is an option I am considering.

Just one thing though, every day two or three times I reverse into some spaces which means I take my seat belt off, open my door just to edge back the last few feet ... by the sounds of things this will cause the mechanism to put the brake on, which would actually be the last thing I want.

In this situation it would be a pain to me, have I understood this correctly ?

Otherwise, I really like the sound of it but just not sure it would suit me and where i park on a daily basis.

Having the hill asist and the obvious park brake already, I don't find necessary this hill hold asist extra. I don't find it worth to pay for.

Btw a good explanation of this extra, hittchy. Thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: hittchy

Just one thing though, every day two or three times I reverse into some spaces which means I take my seat belt off, open my door just to edge back the last few feet ... by the sounds of things this will cause the mechanism to put the brake on, which would actually be the last thing I want.

Otherwise, I really like the sound of it but just not sure it would suit me and where i park on a daily basis.

Actually, I haven't checked that. I think it would activate if the hill hold assist was on. I'll try and check it our later.

EDIT: It does activate parking brake as soon as the car is on stop and seat belt is off or door is open. You'd have to switch it off to reverse without seatbelt on.

Last edited:
Snake Pliskin

Sounds like the Reversing Camera would be a good option, had one on my Golf Mk6, useful in tight spaces.

Can't believe people still do this. Get yourself parking sensors and learn to use your wing mirrors. Do you also put your arm round the passenger seat when reversing? :p

have you noticed if the engine's start/stop system works while the hold assist is activated?

Can't believe people still do this. Get yourself parking sensors and learn to use your wing mirrors. Do you also put your arm round the passenger seat when reversing? :p

Wing mirrors nothing to do with it - they are for alignment in parking space (not gap behind the car) and no issue there.

Park sensors do not have any effect when parking up to a kerb with a path behind it, which I like to be aligned to also ... does my head in when I see cars with their entire nose or rear end over the path and wheels butted up to the kerb

Last edited:
have you noticed if the engine's start/stop system works while the hold assist is activated?

Yes - it works as normal. Pressing the brake engages auto hold, disengaging gear and releasing clutch engages start stop. Then sit back with feet off both pedals without having to switch anything.

The A3 also seems much quicker to get moving again from hold assist / stop start than my A4 is.

I thought I'd clarify this to help anyone thinking of adding the option to their order. I couldn't get much sense from my local Audi dealer when I placed my order.

I believe all A3s come with Hill Assist which holds the car for a few seconds to avoid roll back when moving off from standstill.

Hill Hold Assist is an optional extra and indefinitely holds the car when you come to a standstill. When active (there's a button next to the parking brake switch), every time you stop and firmly press the brake pedal it activates and shows a green handbrake light on the dash. This works particularly well in stop-start traffic, exiting busy motorway slip roads or approaching roundabouts. Just like the parking brake, it auto-releases when you move off again. A light touch of the brake pedal doesn't activate it, meaning you can creep out of junctions etc. if necessary.

It also automatically applies the full parking brake when you remove your seatbelt or switch off the ignition, with a red handbrake indicator lamp on the dash. In fact, it removes the need to use the parking brake switch entirely as it automates the whole process.

When you re-start your car, it remembers the last setting meaning you don't have to re-activate it every time you drive off (if only stop-start would do the same!)

I hope this helps people make an informed decision.

Hi, i have the hill hold assist function in my 8V 6 speed, which works well if i stopped for lights and stop/start. But it seems that every time i switch off ignition and switch on again(by turning the key), i need to press the parking brake to release the car rather than just drive off as normal. Do you observe the same?

Hi, i have the hill hold assist function in my 8V 6 speed, which works well if i stopped for lights and stop/start. But it seems that every time i switch off ignition and switch on again(by turning the key), i need to press the parking brake to release the car rather than just drive off as normal. Do you observe the same?

No, I just drive off. As long as the door is closed and seat belt is on it works seamlessly every time for me.

No, I just drive off. As long as the door is closed and seat belt is on it works seamlessly every time for me.
Thanks for reply, when you drive off, on the indicator panel, is the park symbol P in red or green? Does it work for reverse as well?

Thanks for reply, when you drive off, on the indicator panel, is the park symbol P in red or green? Does it work for reverse as well?

Yes - works in any gear, even pulling off driveway in second gear. I haven't used the parking brake since taking delivery!

It's red when pulling off, green when I stop at junctions etc. but will turn red if I turn off ignition, take off seatbelt or open door.

Yes - works in any gear, even pulling off driveway in second gear. I haven't used the parking brake since taking delivery!

It's red when pulling off, green when I stop at junctions etc. but will turn red if I turn off ignition, take off seatbelt or open door.
Thanks for replying. hmmm, interesting, yesterday, when i try to reverse, it stalled rather than let go. Do you need to put foot on break, or just clutch and gas?

Thanks for replying. hmmm, interesting, yesterday, when i try to reverse, it stalled rather than let go. Do you need to put foot on break, or just clutch and gas?

Just light gas and ease out clutch - it should release. If you haven't put seat belt on it'll refuse to release though.

Just light gas and ease out clutch - it should release. If you haven't put seat belt on it'll refuse to release though.
Seat belt is definitely on. Maybe i will try again tomorrow. Is the release as smooth as, say, when you drive off from waiting for a light? It felt very reluctant yesterday when I try to drive off and then it stalled.

Yes. It's completely smooth.

If your problem continues, may be worth asking the dealer to take a look at it.

How does the Hold Assist technically work? Does it use the same brake pads that the "foot brake" uses? Or does it use the separate brake pads of the parking brake?

It uses the normal braking system by applying slight pressure to the brake pistons. Once the HHA is activated if you put your foot on the brake pedal you will feel the pedal go real hard just like when the ignition is off.

I got the demo car today and this feature work smoothly and remembers its enabled even after using the key. For £90 I'll be ordering it on mine.

good news, got mine working today. Very pleased. Turns out that i need to add a notch or two more pressure on the gas pedal. All working fine now. Thanks for all the replies.

Hi does anybody have this fitted to an A3 with an stronic / dsg box. Was curious to know what would happen when both are fitted as the start stop will kill the engine on depression of the brake with an stronic but will restart when the brake is released only now the hill hold should stop the car from moving. I can see the engine cycling through a series of starts as the brake is depressed and engine stopped then released to let the HHA do its job. Was going to get the stronic with HHA but don't I don't what the engine stopping for the half second whilst I engage the HHA

Hi does anybody have this fitted to an A3 with an stronic / dsg box. Was curious to know what would happen when both are fitted as the start stop will kill the engine on depression of the brake with an stronic but will restart when the brake is released only now the hill hold should stop the car from moving. I can see the engine cycling through a series of starts as the brake is depressed and engine stopped then released to let the HHA do its job. Was going to get the stronic with HHA but don't I don't what the engine stopping for the half second whilst I engage the HHA

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics of your car? For local meets with members in your area, click the link below. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Yorkshire & Humberside

I was wondering about HHA with S-Tronic?
I currently have an old school auto and never use the handbrake, I just put it in drive or park. With S-Tronic will I have to put the handbrake on and will I roll back on hills when going from the foot brake to the throttle?

Presumably the engine restarts when you hit the accelerator instead of releasing the brake or something like that? Could imagine that causing a bit of lag though...

Presumably the engine restarts when you hit the accelerator instead of releasing the brake or something like that? Could imagine that causing a bit of lag though...

On the car I test drove the engine restarted as you start to lift your foot from the brake and is running before my foot had touched the accelerator, quite smooth actually.

Yeh, I drove a Q3 with the same thing once, but it's a good point about the hill hold and how it would work

On the VW Golf Mk7 with DSG, the hill hold assist comes on once the vehicle comes to a stop. If your foot is still on the brake, the engine also stops. You can then take your foot off the brake and the hold assist remains on. When you're ready to go a gentle squeeze of the throttle restarts the engine and, as the vehicle starts to move off, the hold assist releases. It's magic, and very easy to get used to.

Hope this is helpful - may be similar on the Audi.

Handydave I hope the sequence of events you describe is correct as I have just ordered an A3 Saloon with HAA and the 1.4 cod engine. With no manual box options other than the diesel I hope the car stays shut down until the throttle is pressed.

Quizzing the salesman was next to pointless as he and all the other salesmen had no experience of the two in the same car despite the fact that it must be quite a popular option.

Test drove the 1.8 A3 on tuesday with the s-tronic and it behaved exactly as Handydave has explained above, really easy to use and a real bonus whilst driving through slow moving traffic in town.

On the VW Golf Mk7 with DSG, the hill hold assist comes on once the vehicle comes to a stop. If your foot is still on the brake, the engine also stops. You can then take your foot off the brake and the hold assist remains on. When you're ready to go a gentle squeeze of the throttle restarts the engine and, as the vehicle starts to move off, the hold assist releases. It's magic, and very easy to get used to.

Hope this is helpful - may be similar on the Audi.
I also test drove a golf mk7 with hill assist and it behaved as described above - a dream to drive. Just after I drove the Audi ( foolishly expecting the same behaviour) and rolled back at the traffic lights after the engine stopped! I don't think the audi dealer was too impressed.I have ordered hill assist in the Audi.

Test drove the 1.8 A3 on tuesday with the s-tronic and it behaved exactly as Handydave has explained above, really easy to use and a real bonus whilst driving through slow moving traffic in town.

How did you find the 1.8 S-Tronic? I have one on order but never got to test drive with that engine. I had to drive the 150ps 2.0 TDI and it just didn't feel nippy enough, does the extra 30ps in the 1.8 make the difference?

Oh and by the way thanks to all your advise HHA now added to the order ;)

Is this the cause of the lag on the s-tronic that everyone is complaining about on here?

How did you find the 1.8 S-Tronic? I have one on order but never got to test drive with that engine. I had to drive the 150ps 2.0 TDI and it just didn't feel nippy enough, does the extra 30ps in the 1.8 make the difference?

Oh and by the way thanks to all your advise HHA now added to the order ;)

The 1.8 is a really good engine with lots of torque and a dream when paired up with the s-tronic box, i have only driven a 1.4 manual prior to this to be fair so the jump in power is definitely there.

Yoy will not be disappointed i can assure you. Enjoy the car

Reactions: qt25