highest range out of an s3 8l.........

C

colicabcadam

can anyone beat it......

395 + 93 (i did actually get 510 in the end)

photocsr.jpg

i had 405 with 30 miles done! Im on a mission :p

I've had some silly stuff showing with the actual mileage below 100 - predicting 550 miles remaining so a theoretical 600 miles plus off a tank.

In reality my memory is 470 or so actual miles with the 40 mile petrol beep coming on when I bottled it and filled up. I've never managed to get up to 500 actual miles off a tank - yet - but it's definitely possible. Tank is 62 litres or 13.6 gallons so 500 miles = 36.8mpg.

Last edited:
The most I've got is....I don't even know. If I cared about MPG I would've bought a diesel ;-)

wtf 395 mile with 3/4 tank left i get 360 when full i mean totally full no more will go in at all and 180 on half and 270 on 3/4 is this normal or is mine way way way out?

it's all about the way you drive.

If you thrash the nuts off it, then fill up, it will give you sodd all remaining. On the track car, filling up after a lap of teh RIng says it'll do about 140 miles to that full tank. Reality is less than £100!

Yet when we're cruising over there and fill up half way, fill it up says it's got 400+ remaining. it's all about how you're driving at the time

my 1.8t has max shown 350 to a full tank but never done more than 220. i changed the maf and gonna change the coolant temp sensor but any other suggestions. i don't rag it neither or i end up with less

as prawn said, it basically bases your range on how you've driven for the last 10 miles

if you are only getting 220 out of a tank i'd say your coolant temp was broke - but you've changed that - next thing to check would be the egt (if it has one)

I got just under 300 miles out of a full tank recently, and that was on a long run without putting my foot down or changing gear very often. I usually stick in £40 every 7/8 days and although it says I'm gonna get 200 ish miles, I get 130 at a push... so it sounds like I may need to check a few things on mine.

Is the Coolant Temp Sensor much to replace? What's an EGT?

as prawn said, it basically bases your range on how you've driven for the last 10 miles

if you are only getting 220 out of a tank i'd say your coolant temp was broke - but you've changed that - next thing to check would be the egt (if it has one)

coolant temp sensor is easy to replace, costs about £20 for a proper vw part

egt stands for "exhaust gas temperature", there's a sensor for this that become faulty

bad coolant sensor = more fuel sprayed into the cylinder to help the car run as it believes it is cold

bad egt sensor = more fuel sparayed into the cylinder to help cool the engine down ! egt sensor is about £300 (i think from audi) - not all audis have them though

I don't let my mum borrow the car for often enough to test MPG...

Iv just cracked 28.1mpg lol its killed me but iv done it. I like it when it says 24.2mpg better tho, so i shall be returning to heavy foot syndrome. An ecco to whats already been said, buy a 1.2 hyundai getz as i bet the mpg is better lol.

Iv just cracked 28.1mpg lol its killed me but iv done it. I like it when it says 24.2mpg better tho, so i shall be returning to heavy foot syndrome. An ecco to whats already been said, buy a 1.2 hyundai getz as i bet the mpg is better lol.

I was getting that and higher but that was on the way to AITP, but going home shocking single figures lol :racer:

OK quick question, my petrol light comes on when I have 40 miles left, i was a bit risky today and ended up getting it all the way down to 0 miles on the way home...now this might be a silly question, but when it says 0 miles range left, does it actually mean that, or is there a reserve, if so, how many miles roughly would this give....or is the reserve when the light comes on??

Out of interest, I did another 6 miles on 0 before I got to the petrol station....phew!!!

Oh and on a full tank, I normally and regularly get 400-450 miles using Shell V Power (mainly mway miles)

OK quick question, my petrol light comes on when I have 40 miles left, i was a bit risky today and ended up getting it all the way down to 0 miles on the way home...now this might be a silly question, but when it says 0 miles range left, does it actually mean that, or is there a reserve, if so, how many miles roughly would this give....or is the reserve when the light comes on??

Out of interest, I did another 6 miles on 0 before I got to the petrol station....phew!!!

Oh and on a full tank, I normally and regularly get 400-450 miles using Shell V Power (mainly mway miles)

When you get to 0 you have SO long left.

I once drove from Plymouth to Exeter on 0, and Prawn once drove from Portsmouth to Basingstoke on 0. It's a fun game to play, and you'll hear the fuel pump wine when you REALLY need to fill up.

I had mine sitting at 1130km, which is about 700mi in your language once cruising down a massive drop on one of our freeways here in Australia (the F3 going from Sydney to Newcastle) lol

27.8 mpg thats driving round town not bad not bad need to test a long drive now

Normally get 360-400 off a tank with mixed driving. Easily hit 450 on a cruise to the lakes and back, and managed 495 the other week. Worked out at 37.1mpg...

Cheers,