Higher Mileage S4

TALBOTL

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

Currently have the facelift TT 2.0 TFSI, it has been remapped with a couple of minor mods and I must say it's a great car light as a feather and pretty powerful, only just ticked over 50k and has just been serviced and is very cheap to run.

I have been looking at a 2011 S4 which has popped up for sale, it has 107k on the clock which isn't crazy high but of course still over the famed 100k, looks as though it has been used mainly motorway which to be honest I can believe as I have seen this with a few, apparently at sensible speeds with the cruise on they aren't bad at all for long journeys.
Appreciate it's a bit of a switch considering size etc.

Is there anything specific on the S4 aside from the usual maintenance, preventative measures or serious common faults that I should look out for?

Thanks

LT

Which gearbox? S-Tronic may be an issue, especially if not properly serviced.

Which gearbox? S-Tronic may be an issue, especially if not properly serviced.
It's the 6MT, I have been bitten by a DSG box before (luckily under warranty) and I know whilst they are good at what they do - I much prefer a manual no better feeling that going up the gears manually in a quick car (in my personal opinion)

Reactions: DieselJake
I made the exact same move from a tuned tt to an S4. Brilliant decision.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: DieselJake
Hi Everybody

Currently have the facelift TT 2.0 TFSI, it has been remapped with a couple of minor mods and I must say it's a great car light as a feather and pretty powerful, only just ticked over 50k and has just been serviced and is very cheap to run.

I have been looking at a 2011 S4 which has popped up for sale, it has 107k on the clock which isn't crazy high but of course still over the famed 100k, looks as though it has been used mainly motorway which to be honest I can believe as I have seen this with a few, apparently at sensible speeds with the cruise on they aren't bad at all for long journeys.
Appreciate it's a bit of a switch considering size etc.

Is there anything specific on the S4 aside from the usual maintenance, preventative measures or serious common faults that I should look out for?

Thanks

LT
Mines just hit the 90k and it's still going strong. I do however have the timing chain rattle now :(

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mines just hit the 90k and it's still going strong. I do however have the timing chain rattle now :(

Are you sure it's the timing chain. I get the odd rattle sound on a cold start. But it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once every 40 ish starts.

Are you sure it's the timing chain. I get the odd rattle sound on a cold start. But it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once every 40 ish starts.
I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure but it does have the symptoms. Sounds like an exhaust blow with a bit of a rattle. My downpipes were blowing so I've replaced those with remus ones, however I still have the noise. It's always there when the car stands for more than a day.

I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure but it does have the symptoms. Sounds like an exhaust blow with a bit of a rattle. My downpipes were blowing so I've replaced those with remus ones, however I still have the noise. It's always there when the car stands for more than a day.

Apparently you can tell if it's your tensioners by popping the bonnet prior to starting and listening while someone else starts the car. You can tell which side has gone.
I've also read somewhere that they can be replaced without removing the engine. Can't imagine Audi doing that though.
If mine do go ,I will be very tempted to pull the whole engine out and do a full rebuild .

Reactions: Ginge247
Apparently you can tell if it's your tensioners by popping the bonnet prior to starting and listening while someone else starts the car. You can tell which side has gone.
I've also read somewhere that they can be replaced without removing the engine. Can't imagine Audi doing that though.
If mine do go ,I will be very tempted to pull the whole engine out and do a full rebuild .
I've done this, it sounded like the nearside so I tried it again this time with a stethoscope and tbh it sounded nice and quiet. When it is there though it goes on for a lot more than a few seconds more like a minute on and off