high wattage bulbs yes or no

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Just wanted to KNOW can 80 watt bulbs be used in the a3 without any issues........or is this asking for trouble?????
would of fitted hid's but dont want risk wiper motor

Just wanted to KNOW can 80 watt bulbs be used in the a3 without any issues........or is this asking for trouble?????
would of fitted hid's but dont want risk wiper motor

Dunno about electrical trouble, but you're asking for 3 points and a £30 fine for having illegal headlights!

I wouldn't put 80w's in the dipped beams as they are on for long periods of time, it's one thing putting them in the main beams which are only on for limited time periods. Having them in the dipped beams would burn out the switch/wiring imo.

Not to mention the glare for other road users :no:

i did this a while ago and they melted the plug and the loom at the back of the bulb!!
dont risk it .

DON'T do this!!!. Wiring loom will be fine but you'll destroy your lamps. Higher power of the bulb mean higer temperature of the bulb and inside your lamp. Within short time you'll burn mirror and lense (if you have one) and that will cost you few papers to replace both lamps.

Just do a HID conversion. Much more light and less energy consumed (35W).

You say that, but I have had 100w bulbs in my mains for over almost two years now and never had any trouble.

car01.jpg

Hi Guys, I fitted 100w bulbs into my X type Jag a few years ago and what a difference they made:jump::jump:.......literally like night n day. I too had reservations about the wiring loom etc etc but took advice from a sparky and he fitted them for me. Never had one blow and they were in there for around 14 months before i sold the car with no probs whatsoever.
Having said that If I had to do it again I reckon I'd go for the HID conversion kit.

Jim

Why not just fit 'high ouput' 55w halaogen bulbs. Get a lot more light and stay with the law. Osram and Philips seem to be regarded as the best.

I now have OEM Xenons but in the past I've fitted '50% more high output' bulbs to my A3s and they have made a real difference. You can now get '80% more' bulbs as well. Still rated at 55w so there is no chance of problems with the wiring and they are perfectly legal.

car01.jpg

just a week or so ago fitted 80w in my dipped beam, main beam a fogs as well as upgraded 510 w5w's in my side lights. This coupled with the led's in the rear number plate really sets the car apart at night......The output is fantastic and a really bright extreme white look with that slight blusih tinge.
All went well and no probs to date....
I have a post somewhere, in the A6 section I think marked as "headlight upgrade"

Jim

i fitted so called high output Osram +85% bulbs.
fitted one, waited till dark, could not tell which one I had changed!! useless, waste of £35, sold them on eBay.
bought 100w bulbs for £8 each, slightly brighter but to be honest they are not even close to double the output. tried them in side and full beam with same results.
they may draw more current but they are no hotter or at least do not appear to be. been in for over 6 months now with lots of night driving without issue.
they are certainly not going to attract the attention of the fuzz anymore than the numerous dodgy HID kits on vauxhall nova's out there that keep blinding me!

not hearsay...just what I experienced. everyone warned me that I would be replacing housings and burning woring out......not so far

You need to fit relays and heavy duty wiring first. The standard switches are likely to fail , sooner or later.
Even 60/55 bulbs will be brighter,. It's all about voltage drop through the wire ans switches/connectors.
I believe that the only + so much % bulbs that have proved to be better ( in a testing laboratory,) are Phillips.
I have those fitted but not sure I can tell any difference. Relays next.
Relays worked great in my old 80 Sport.