High pressure fuel pump advice

Kaine19

Stage 2+ S3 8P now gone. Hello 2016 RS3 :)
Reaction score
Am goong to book my car in for cam chain end of the month as well as cam follower. I do have autotech internals ready to fit also. But am not in position to map just yet.

I want to get intercooler and other things before a map.

Am i safe to fit hpfp now? Just thought may as well while doing cam chain. Or shall i wait. Prob wont be ready for mapping till least after xmas now unless something changes

Wouldn't cause an issue fitting now I'd have thought, I had mine on I think before it getting mapped.

All comes off for the cam chain anyway, so if you've got it sorted and ready, wouldn't have thought any extra effort to replace it at that point

Yeah thats my thinking. Fit it while its all off. Just wasnt sure about if it was safe etc

Yeah I'd think so, from my understanding the HPFP will give you a better, higher fuel pressure at x RPM consistently.

Bit like adding in a RS4 or an uprated fuel return valve, allowing you to run higher pressure before bleeding it off..... you can add it on, normal/ standard calibration can still be met as normal, you just won't be able to take advantage of the extra until mapping, if that makes sense.

Yeah makes sense. I got my rs4 fuel valve to fit as well

Depending on your mileage until your remap, you may find you need to replace the cam follower again as the uprated fuel pump puts more strain on the cam follower. People often change the cam follower every 5000 miles with an uprated hpfp installed.

Couldnt poss say mileage but now you got me thinking maybe do it nearer time if ill need do cam follower again

You'd only really need to potentially change the follower within 5k when your running over standard pressure.

When I was running the standard FPV it was fine up to 10k/ knowingly changed it... still looked fine. Think their recommended to be changed anything up to double that!?

Now run up to 155bar it was only just showing signs @ 5-6k (coating thinning) when changed last weekend.

In all honesty it's a 10-20 min job to change on your drive when you've done it once before, 13&17mm spanner, screwdriver and a hex bit...

You should factor it as a service item when their mapped up and using higher pressure anyhow, learning how to do it will save your garage fees on something relatively simple to do.

I'd have the HPFP done when you get the chain sorted, done, and out the way then especially if it's having the internals swapped over, than a new unit.

Yeah. Think am just going to do it now and if i need do cam follower in the future then so be it.

I ran mine for a few weeks before I had it mapped, never caused any problems. I'm running APR stage 2+ checked my cam follower about 5000 miles after and it was barely worn at all. You'll be fine.

Booked in for thursday. Cheers people

I went the other way - intercooler last. Had Stage 1 with a PVW CAI, then had the HPFP, Cam Follower and uprated plugs etc and Stage 2+. The exhaust was a mish mash by previous owner and so only reached around 350hp and I could feel the exhaust was towing. I've just had a BCS System fitted and, even though its not on the rolling road until next Tuesday, I can tell a massive difference. I reckon it's 365-70 at least now but we'll see. The intercooler is next on my list - not sure what difference it will make - except for engine longevity. I can tell you the car drives and sounds awesome. The DSG clutch feels perfect and I cant see why I'd need a DSG map at this stage - but it's still fairly low mileage. Any road, loving it more than ever. I'll just say one thing - BCS exhaust!

Reactions: S3Alex and HHS3
Yeah BCS is on the cards in the future, for now the milltek downpipe fitted will have to do. Am doing maintainance and hardware stuff before a map. Even though am itching for more power

Reactions: S3Alex and S3VDO
Yeah BCS is on the cards in the future, for now the milltek downpipe fitted will have to do. Am doing maintainance and hardware stuff before a map. Even though am itching for more power
I think the exhaust will improve things and make the most of any mods you have planned.

The old exhaust on mine was definitely holding the engine back,and moving to a custom BCS system meant we could run the engine harder,but also cooler.

I may look into it before my map if thats the case. Was maybe pointless getting the milltek then haha

VIS motorsport has bigger pumps, just an alternative to the expensive loba apr etc. I've seen some 5-600hp cars with those here in Romania.

This post was just ask if safe to fit and drive for a bit before mapping. I had already bought autotech.. fitted now also. Cheers for the replies