High pitched whistle from drivers side wheel.

Cameron Brunt

'02 A4 Quattro 3.0
Reaction score
Hey.
I'm a new owner to an '02 A4 Quattro. I've had it for months with no problem, but recently (a week or so) I've had an intermittent high pitched whistle from one of my wheels. When I brake, it goes away instantly. I've read that this could be a stone stuck in my caliper or pad. I'm hoping that this is the issue as I'm not the most auto-savvy person I must admit. Is there an efficient way to determine the cause of this noise? Have any of you experienced this? I read that if you drive forward and in reverse while hard braking it may come loose. Any help would be appreciated. Forgive my ignorance as this is new to me. Thanks!

Sounds like you might have it right, is affected at all? Could also be a bearing or wheel coming loose but seems unlikely judging by your description, can't think of much else as these are the only three things I've experienced related to irritating noises haha well to be more specific it was a whirring noise with bearings and intermittent squeaking with loose wheels.

Sounds like there is a small stone between your pad and disc.

Remove pads and clean before the stone scores a a deep mark on your discs.

Could just be "glazing" of the pads, drive at about 40/50 on a clear road apply the brakes while you still have your foot on the throttle, will de-glaze the pads. See if this makes a difference!!