High miles 2.0 tdi - wearing not so well ?

S2

Reaction score
Following the writing off of my 51 plate AKE avant quattro, I've come to own a 6 speed,brilliant black, grey leather, 55 plate Avant SE, MMI high, satnav. Now I would not normally consider such a new car but the insurance came up with more than I expected and this came up on Pistonheads from an Audi dealer. The catch was it's done 152K. This dealer had looked after it from new and so I asked for a printout of all the work done. It was thick sheath of notes including 2 clutch kits, the last one 40K ago. Cam belt just done along with one new unit injector.
It's magic on fuel with 45mpg without trying. comfortable and the sat nav is a joy. There are a few problems though..
There seems to be high crankcase pressure. If you turn and release the oil filler cap the pressure bobs the cap about at idle. What is normal for this BLB engine... that high ? The other thing tied in with this is the amount of oil blowing through the turbo. I took off the intercooler to inlet man pipe to find a fair amount oil sitting in there. The first time I took it back I was told this is normal in a 20K miler. I found this hard to believe but hey, he was a Master Tech. I see pressure is vented out of the cam cover. Is this the only crankcase vent ? Idle is a bit lumpy when warm and switching the engine off ends in a body shudder as the engine comes to rest. What's that then ? Just had a thought, this could be engine mounts. When I changed the oil, pushing up on the engine, they did look soft. Duff mounts ? Bit of a judder pulling away at times but think this may be mount related also. Isee the two mounts L/R and the one at the front. Would you change the L/R ras a pair ? Left one's got wiggleys going to it - looks expensive ? Waranty job ?
There is a whirring from the steering column when the wheel has had a fair amount of action in a multistory car park ,say. It was packed with grease as a fix but it was back within a day or so. It's going back next week before the warranty runs outfor this as clearly something not right and steering to me figures important.
I had a 130 Passat and did 150K as a company driver and felt good for the same again when I gave it back. It's was that feeling that made me go for this.
I need to upgrade my vagcom so can't pull any codes just now.
Sorry this rambles on but any comments most welcome.
Dave
progress.gif

Oil in the intercooler pipework is indeed normal. Not sure about the crankcase pressure though.

I'd be concerned about a 150k mile car that's on it's 3rd clutch!

Our A4 1.9 130 diesel had a judder from the clutch at times. usually on damp mornings and it dissappeared within a few miles. If yours doesn't go away when warm, it could be a sign of problems with the dual mass flywheel. That's £££ to change.

The engine mounts can cause issues. Assuming the A6 is the same as the A4 in this area, one of the mounts has a valve that closes about 1100 rpm to firm it up. below that it's soft to soak up vibes from the engine as it idles. Yours could have stuck shut which is why the idle feels lumpier and why you get the shake when you shut off. VAGCOM should show this up.

Assume you used VW507.00 oil when you change it?

I'd be concerned about a 150k mile car that's on it's 3rd clutch!

This seems high useage! I'm on 170k and only just on second clutch, the first got changed @ 157k but even then the gearbox gave in before the clutch and thus both were done at same time.

Thanks for the comments on this. I'm using Comma Prolife which meets the spec ok.
I had an Independant read codes today with out a single code present.
Re the body shudder at switch off, I was advised to take a look at a shut off valve at the inlet manifold. It's a butterfly valve that closes to prevent air being drawn in after switch off. Not sure about this but will investigate.
When I contacted the main dealer re mounts was told they are now, left and right, the same part number. So they both have a valve in but only one gets wired in ? Not sure this is right also so something else to check unless anyone has a first hander on this ?

When I contacted the main dealer re mounts was told they are now, left and right, the same part number. So they both have a valve in but only one gets wired in ? Not sure this is right also so something else to check unless anyone has a first hander on this ?

In that case, maybe they could be swapped over as that may fix the issue with no parts required!

Seems strange that Audi would do that though as the active mounts will be more expensive than a rigid one and you know how car makers like to save money where they can.

BLB engine...

I would be careful with this engine as it's got commonly known fault with little hex rod driving oil pump. Hell lot of A4's suffer engine rebuilt ftom that. Oil pressure light will come on one day and you're done mate.... Fix for that cost something around £1k at the Dealer's garage. Very unpleasant suprise from Audi....