High mileage RS3 Query

Maverick86

Maverick86
Reaction score
Hi people I am looking to buy a PFL 8v and I found one via main dealer with an amazing spec the perfect one really for me and a good price however it has just over 76k miles on the clock...this worries me a bit, what do you guys think? If it had full service history and seemed to have been looked after well would it be worth it or is that kind of mileage too high for a car like this? I just wouldn’t want to purchase and end up getting shafted on repairs etc. This will be my first rs3 also so it’s kind of a big deal for me:sunglasses:

Hi people I am looking to buy a PFL 8v and I found one via main dealer with an amazing spec the perfect one really for me and a good price however it has just over 76k miles on the clock...this worries me a bit, what do you guys think? If it had full service history and seemed to have been looked after well would it be worth it or is that kind of mileage too high for a car like this? I just wouldn’t want to purchase and end up getting shafted on repairs etc. This will be my first rs3 also so it’s kind of a big deal for me:sunglasses:

Make sure it’s not got timing chain rattle.
You’ll be looking at 2.5-4 k to get that fixed and most recommend a dual mass flywheel change while the box is off which can be another £400-500 if an aftermarket Sachs is used. Oem flywheel is £800.

Don’t want to frighten you but this is probably the biggest bill you could get bar a knackered engine / gearbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Least with main dealer you would get a warranty for 12 months, giving you time and peace of mind to get a feel for the car, if anything major lets go at least you wouldn't be faced with a ridiculous bill in year one. Also as the mileage is higher surely the base price reflects the miles too.

Make sure it’s not got timing chain rattle.
You’ll be looking at 2.5-4 k to get that fixed and most recommend a dual mass flywheel change while the box is off which can be another £400-500 if an aftermarket Sachs is used. Oem flywheel is £800.

Don’t want to frighten you but this is probably the biggest bill you could get bar a knackered engine / gearbox.

Yeah I was thinking of the timing chain, wow that much!! Thanks for the heads up food for thought!

Least with main dealer you would get a warranty for 12 months, giving you time and peace of mind to get a feel for the car, if anything major lets go at least you wouldn't be faced with a ridiculous bill in year one. Also as the mileage is higher surely the base price reflects the miles too.

yeah that’s true I suppose Yes price does reflect its up for just under £25k...

here’s a video of it running idle actually, does that sound normal? A little harder with bonnet shut ...

here’s a video of it running idle actually, does that sound normal? A little harder with bonnet shut ...

If it’s from a main dealer at the very least you will have 12 months Warranty.

Reactions: Raiden and Maverick86
Are you buying cash or PCP? If PCP, then you might find a new, lower mileage one works out the same cost per month as the GFV will be higher.

Going back a few years now but I bought a 2008 TTS that had 100k miles on it. It had always been serviced and maintained well and ran like it was new. Sold it with about 115k miles on and the person who bought it took it to the south of France on a road trip and told me it performed beautifully.

Reactions: Raiden and Maverick86
Are you buying cash or PCP? If PCP, then you might find a new, lower mileage one works out the same cost per month as the GFV will be higher.

Going back a few years now but I bought a 2008 TTS that had 100k miles on it. It had always been serviced and maintained well and ran like it was new. Sold it with about 115k miles on and the person who bought it took it to the south of France on a road trip and told me it performed beautifully.

I’ve not completely Decided yet... either personal loan with deposit or pcp! Can’t Decide!! I know I want a PFL though ...p

An Audi dealer will give you a 12 month warranty which will give you some piece of mind, and then definitely look into extending the warranty again. If the car is the perfect spec (which you say it is) and the monies/deal is right, then I’d go for it.

Reactions: Maverick86
That's the 367hp model isn't it? I think I would hang on for the 400hp version or just get a Golf R (95% of the performance and a better drive, albeit not the sound) - £25k would get you mint one from a VW dealer.

For info I have an RS3 (2018) and a Golf R (2016) and believe me you wouldn't be disappointed with the golf, it just doesn't sound as good.

If you really do want to go for the RS3 in Southampton I would go in with an offer of £20k - I imagine £25k is the 'pre coronavirus' asking price. Don't pay £25k for that car.

That's the 367hp model isn't it? I think I would hang on for the 400hp version or just get a Golf R (95% of the performance and a better drive, albeit not the sound) - £25k would get you mint one from a VW dealer.

For info I have an RS3 (2018) and a Golf R (2016) and believe me you wouldn't be disappointed with the golf, it just doesn't sound as good.

If you really do want to go for the RS3 in Southampton I would go in with an offer of £20k - I imagine £25k is the 'pre coronavirus' asking price. Don't pay £25k for that car.

Golf R sounds terrible by comparison

The OP wants an RS3 lol not an R.

A few choice mods will improve the PFL no end, worth paying over and above a Golf R for 5 cylinder character and you see less of them on the road.

Reactions: Marky79 and Maverick86
Looking on autotrader there are a few cars similar price, good specs and lower mileage.

The RS is a sought after car but there are lots available in the market and garages will be desperate to shift stock at the moment, I’d be looking at lower mileage cars and put in an offer at least 10% below asking price.

There won’t be many people parting with £25k at the moment, good time to buy if you can afford it.

I agree with @TYb

I’ve recently gone for another TTRS and got a significant discount from an Audi main dealer. I was also seriously considering a PFL RS3 and got offered some pretty good deals.

Whichever one you pick you won’t be disappointed. I also had a Golf R before the RS3 and while the Golf is just fantastic to drive, the RS3 just has so much more drama.

Reactions: Maverick86 and savo

Yeah it’s the 367 model I did debate getting a golf R but I’m sold on the drama of the rs3 and the sound like a few have mentioned on here including yourself :hearteyes: Yes good advice i would certainly propose a lower offer if I am to potentially buy it :sunglasses:

Looking on autotrader there are a few cars similar price, good specs and lower mileage.

The RS is a sought after car but there are lots available in the market and garages will be desperate to shift stock at the moment, I’d be looking at lower mileage cars and put in an offer at least 10% below asking price.

There won’t be many people parting with £25k at the moment, good time to buy if you can afford it.

Thanks for the advice I’ll certainly do this and definitely approach with lower offers.

I agree with @TYb

I’ve recently gone for another TTRS and got a significant discount from an Audi main dealer. I was also seriously considering a PFL RS3 and got offered some pretty good deals.

Whichever one you pick you won’t be disappointed. I also had a Golf R before the RS3 and while the Golf is just fantastic to drive, the RS3 just has so much more drama.

Cheers for the reply, good to hear you were able to get a good discount from the main dealer :sunglasses:

Yeah it’s the 367 model I did debate getting a golf R but I’m sold on the drama of the rs3 and the sound like a few have mentioned on here including yourself :hearteyes: Yes good advice i would certainly propose a lower offer if I am to potentially buy it :sunglasses:

Don't blame you for wanting an RS3 - that's why I bought one, for the sound and drama!

Reactions: CamRNW and Maverick86
Sounds OK but a serious paint mismatch at the front unless I am very much mistaken.

I agree with @TYb

I've been looking at 2017/18 model RS3 saloons (between £35-£38k) this last couple of months, the prices at dealers do not seem to have changed much at all. I appreciate they haven't possibly been at wotk to update prices, but would like to know what sort of wiggle room there is in prices.

Currenty I think they are being way too ambitious for what they asking for relativley moderately specced cars

I've been looking at 2017/18 model RS3 saloons (between £35-£38k) this last couple of months, the prices at dealers do not seem to have changed much at all. I appreciate they haven't possibly been at wotk to update prices, but would like to know what sort of wiggle room there is in prices.

Currenty I think they are being way too ambitious for what they asking for relativley moderately specced cars
That sounds way too high. However, if there is the demand dealers will try it on. A 67/18 plate was probably only just over £40k new with discount and a few options.

Sounds OK but a serious paint mismatch at the front unless I am very much mistaken.

Its been sold now anyway...after trawling auto trader and more used approved Audi I’ve decided to wait another couple of months before I purchase, appreciate all the feedback will update when I’ve purchased. :sunglasses:

My advice would be to stay patient, as hard as it is! I paid £5k less than what the dealer originally wanted by waiting, wasn't easy and it doesn't always work. It's definitely a buyers market at the moment though!

My advice would be to stay patient, as hard as it is! I paid £5k less than what the dealer originally wanted by waiting, wasn't easy and it doesn't always work. It's definitely a buyers market at the moment though!
5k ? How did you swing that one lol. I'm in the market for a new car at the moment we could do with some tips !

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There are always deals to be done! You are sometimes better buying new than nearly new. PCP support (can be paid off with cheaper loan if needed) and discounts particularly on stock cars. With new A3 out there may be stock around. Dealers used to have 15% margin plus other incentives. Around the end of the month is the best time to negotiate as targets need to be hit to kick off Audi discounts.

Reactions: Maverick86 and CamRNW
5k ? How did you swing that one lol. I'm in the market for a new car at the moment we could do with some tips !

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Like I said patience haha! Oh and being prepared for the long game and for disappointment! Knowing what spec you want is important but so is being flexible as well i.e. if the car doesn't have a black styling pack or the wheels you want, it's very easy to retrofit things like that.
The dealership I dealt with said that if a car doesn't sell for a prolonged period that Audi HQ get involved and decrease the price incrementally each week or fortnight until it sells. The time period until that starts happening I have no idea and I would imagine it depends how much interest there's been on the given car.

Like I said patience haha! Oh and being prepared for the long game and for disappointment! Knowing what spec you want is important but so is being flexible as well i.e. if the car doesn't have a black styling pack or the wheels you want, it's very easy to retrofit things like that.
The dealership I dealt with said that if a car doesn't sell for a prolonged period that Audi HQ get involved and decrease the price incrementally each week or fortnight until it sells. The time period until that starts happening I have no idea and I would imagine it depends how much interest there's been on the given car.
Audi HQ don't decrease prices. Typically if a car doesn't sell after a period it gets sent to the auctions or sold to a trader.