High Mileage 2009 2.0 TDI - Would you?

Springer*

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

With most of my free cash disappearing into the house, I'm looking for a cheap runabout for the next 2-3 years and have seen a high mileage 2009 A5 2.0 TDI Quattro (140k miles) for sale local to me that looks really well.

If I get it the car will have an easy life of commuting between Leeds and York most days and covering around 10k miles per year.

I've run high mileage VAG PD engined cars previously and found them to be pretty tough units, but don't have any experience of the common-rail engine from the B8 chassis. Wondering if anyone with experience of owning one of these could give me some pointers on what could potentially be a high-risk purchase of an old car :thumbs up:

1) How does this early spec 2.0 16v CR diesel engine cope with high mileages and are there any major issues that I should be looking for? (turbos, sensors, cams, oil sludge etc.)

2) Being the Quattro model, does this A5 have the Haldex system and how often should the diff oil/filters be changed? Also, how prone to issues is the four-wheel drive system?

3) How often should the gearbox oil be changed on this car?

4) How often should the timing belt and water pump be changed on these engines?

5) If the car has been as well looked after as it looks, is it reasonable to expect 200k+ miles out of an A5 without having to replace turbos, oil pumps, clutch and DMF etc (i.e. stuff that would make it not remotely cost effective buying a car of this age/mileage)?

6) Any other common issues specific to this model that I should be looking out for?

Hope you kind peeps can help :sm4:

J:)

I can only give an opinion on the quattro question, I'm pretty sure that everything A4 and above is the "real" quattro system so I'd say definitely proper quattro.
I've always changed rear diff oil every 80k on whatever Audi I've had at the time and I have had pretty much the full range at some point.
I have never experienced or even heard of a quattro system failing so personally I would never worry about it.