High Beam Assist ..

Simon.

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently swapped my 2019 B9 Black Edition for an 2017 S Line Avant (Damn dog!)

My old car had high beam assist and according to the salesman’s Audi online system, my new car has it installed however when I go to activate, nothing happens? There’s nothing in the MMI to activate it either.

Could this be an error on the Audi system or am I missing something?! I have all of the cameras installed so fairly sure it's possible.

Cheers
Simon

Thanks for the reply!
I’ve attached a copy of the option codes - I can’t see it listed but I have the camera and it shows as having it on the Audi system - it’s strange!

Attachments

• 45300C4F-44D0-44FD-9E55-F560E6B90D3E.jpeg
    45300C4F-44D0-44FD-9E55-F560E6B90D3E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 238
It should just be toggled via the headlight stalk for main beam on or off. For the feature you want it should come up on the dash with the lights icon in blue (as normal) when activated but with AUTO written below the icon.

It should just be toggled via the headlight stalk for main beam on or off. For the feature you want it should come up on the dash with the lights icon in blue (as normal) when activated but with AUTO written below the icon.
Yep, that’s the thing - it doesn’t! I had It on the old car.

just seems strange that Audi have it as having high beam assist (I have the sensor on the mirror) but can’t seem to activate

Yep, that’s the thing - it doesn’t! I had It on the old car.

just seems strange that Audi have it as having high beam assist (I have the sensor on the mirror) but can’t seem to activate
Hi Simon

It was a similar situation for me. The literature / myaudi said I had it, but I couldn't see it within the options. However, I bought an OBDII device, and was able to enable it that way. I appreciate that it should be enabled, especially if the online system says as much. Perhaps this may be an option?

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth! Do you recommend a certain OBDII advice that’s easier to use? Ideally I don’t want to damage the car as not very tech savvy

I’d also be looking at adding the speed camera recognition

Hi Simon

Have a look here:

This is the tool I used. You will need a pro licence, which then has a number of one-click apps for the functions. These cost credits, which can be bought, or upto 5 available daily by watching sponsored ads. You can also long-code, it you know where to look; the apps are a one-touch solution.

I believe it can also be done with VCDS, so if you know anyone with it they could help.

Not sure what you you mean by speed camera recognition, are you referring to recognising traffic signs? If so, that requires VCP, in order to parameterise the front camera. I believe you can also buy dongles. Have a search for this on the forums, as it has been discussed previously.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth! Do you recommend a certain OBDII advice that’s easier to use? Ideally I don’t want to damage the car as not very tech savvy

I’d also be looking at adding the speed camera recognition
I would advise though it you are not confident in using this, it may be worthwhile seeking somebody who has VCDS, and asking them to do it. There are both private and commercial users, who are on the forums, well should be able to do this (for a reasonable fee of course!)

That’s perfect, thank you! I’m just worried that I’ll completely brick the system some how abs invalidate the warranty - the link / apps you showed above seem to be straightforward though.

With regards to the high beam assist app, it says I must have Lane departure installed in the car - my old car never had this however am I right in saying that if I have the camera on the front (I’ll post a picture later however I have the Audi collision detect system) then I should be able to code both of these things? I guess I just won’t have the steering wheel vibration.

Appreciate your guidance on this.

Hi Simon

I don't have lane departure installed - well, not from a hardware function point of view. From what I understand, there are a number of functions that can be enabled through software adaptations. Sometimes the associated hardware will exist, others it won't. So for example, the high beam assist, wasn't enabled, but the hardware was there - all I had to do was enable it through the software. Equally, you may find that the lane departure stalk is not there, but the function can be enabled through OBDII / VCDS. By doing it this way, it will always be on, until switched off using OBDII / VCDS.

Your concerns are valid, and I am not in a position to warrant that this is completely risk-free. However, there are plenty of people on this forum, and on the audiworld forum (USA Audi forum), that have used both tools to make a number of changes to their cars. Doing a quick search for high beam assist on both sites should show that a number of people have used both tools to enable this. This should help you come to an informed decision on making such changes.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Reactions: Simon.
I am also considering to enable the high beam assist but the OBD11 app says you have to enable Lane assist which I don't want to do. So I am wondering if it will enable the HBA successfully?

I am also considering to enable the high beam assist but the OBD11 app says you have to enable Lane assist which I don't want to do. So I am wondering if it will enable the HBA successfully?
Hi Airfan
This is a screenshot from my OBDII:
Screenshot 20210419 181511 OBDeleven

This worked on my MY17 A4 B9. For info, I don't have, not did I enable, lane assist.

regards

Gareth

Reactions: Airfan
Slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me a reliable way of switching off high beam assist once you’ve turned it on ?!

The times I’ve used it I can’t seem to get rid of it easily and end up flashing people by accident. Not ideal and to be honest I gave up trying to switch it off. It’s a cool thing but sometimes I’d rather it wasn’t on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's in one of the settings in the MMI but I can't remember where it is. I turned mine off as I didn't think that it was very good. It was a cool toy to begin with but I can switch my high beam on and off a lot quicker than it can.

I asked Carista about traffic sign recognition and they told me that they had tried it and it hadn't worked so they removed it from the beta version. I only need to look slightly left to my sat nav to see the speed limit but it would be nice to have it on the main display

I asked Carista about traffic sign recognition and they told me that they had tried it and it hadn't worked so they removed it from the beta version. I only need to look slightly left to my sat nav to see the speed limit but it would be nice to have it on the main display
Traffic Sign Recognition needs the camera paramatising as well, which requires more than OBD11 or Carista.

Hmm. Yes it does sometimes but other times it seems a bit hit and miss as it leaves the full beam on sometimes. Never mind I’m probably just being stupid. Haven’t really had much night driving recently :)

Hmm. Yes it does sometimes but other times it seems a bit hit and miss as it leaves the full beam on sometimes. Never mind I’m probably just being stupid. Haven’t really had much night driving recently :)

I've still not figured it out on mine. I've given up and just leave it enabled. A single push forward just flashes my high beams when the auto high beams have the lights set to dipped

Wait so high beam assist can be activated without lane assist? Because I don't have the multifunction stalk and feel that lane assist would be annoying, and the OBD11 app says I must have lane assist enabled for high beam assist.

Wait so high beam assist can be activated without lane assist? Because I don't have the multifunction stalk and feel that lane assist would be annoying, and the OBD11 app says I must have lane assist enabled for high beam assist.
Not true. HBA can be enabled without LDW (Lane Departure Warning).