1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HID/Xenon Recommendations

stevey83 Oct 3, 2018

1. stevey83

stevey83 New Member

Ive searched the forum but theres a million posts, has anyone got any recommendations for HID kits for the B6?

Im after a 6000k set with ballasts which wont mess with the ABS lights etc! A lot of them on ebay say canbus safe, but has anyone got any tried and tested?

Cheers!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

Its a shame as I just dont have much time to offer a lot of help these days however here goes.

As of 2018, I have found LED lights to be the most durable. I have tried SO many sets in all sorts from normal incandescent to Xenon to LED.

Xenons can be decent but typically do not last long whatever the quality unless full price OEM. The ABS/Bulb Out warning lights will always come on if you dont wrap the ballast in foil or better still, fit them inside the light housing. Protects the modules from Electro magnetic interference.

If you REALLY want Xenon's i can advise you but I would massively recommend super bright LED's like I have as the 'boot up' is instant and they are super durable. 2 years now and counting.

This site appears not to allow hotlinking.

So, go to Amazon and type in;

H7 LED Car Headlight Kit - BeiLan Automotive Light Bulbs Conversion Kits with High Quality CREE Chip 60W(30W) 10000LM 6500K Super Bright White Light DC9-32V Replace for Vehicle Halogen Lights or HID Exterior Headlamp Bulb

I've found the safeGo brand to be VERY good.

Also, YES, you can squeeze these bad boys into the Light housing!

All the best
    Dan

4. stevey83

stevey83 New Member

Thanks for the reply, my only question with these is, dont they throw off massive amounts of heat?

DrStrange likes this.
  5. DrStrange

Ah Sorry, I should have mentioned as its VERY important to note..

They give off massive amounts of heat. Bloody hell, literally piping hot.

So, I wrapped my wires in kapton heat tape, which does the trick. There's always a trade off with something.

HID's also give off a lot of heat but are not even close to being reliable as LED.

6. stevey83

stevey83 New Member

Do youhave your fitted in the standard lights?

Also, what did you do with the tape?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. DrStrange

Yes, they are fitted in the standard light housing. No modifications need to be done as they fit snug inside and you will be able to place the plastic cap over the light housing.

So Kapton Tape is a high temperature adhesive tape. I wrapped the headlight wires and the sidelight wires incase the LED light ballasts touch any of the wires. By that I mean, literally taped them up round and round until properly protected.