HID kits for pre-facelift a3's??

Tommy

Makinen...ha
Reaction score
I have a pre-facelift a3, (54 plate) will this kit fit my car?

I always thought that you could only put HID kits onto cars with projector headlights?

My car doesnt have projector headlights does it..?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Your car does not have projectors unless it has xenons.

The kit fill fit but the beam pattern will be crap and you blind other road users. The right kit will say H7 bulb fitment.

It is miles better to put HIDs into projector headlights - i did this on my golf as i had aftermarket lights with projectors in them but these need to auto level and have washers in order for them to be legal - they werent all that tbh..

Also, there is an issue with HIDs blowing wiper motors! This is an expensive fix. The only way around tt is to buy OEM xenons.

HTH

h7 xenons in non-projector housings is a real no-no due to dazzle

aftermarket kits in projectors housings (angel eyes) work well, but you will still blow your motor wiper controller after some time - maybe 1 week, may take 1 year

a wiper motor is about £290 fitted at audi
even relay kits to run the hid kit from the battery will still blow the wiper controller - its an RF/EMI problem not a voltage/current issue

on ebay, you can get it for £400 for the unit which is pretty much plug and play with vagcom but you have to buy the auto level bit and fit it plus a loom (unsure of costs but at least a £200+ - there was an auto level for £60 on the bay and unsure on the costs of loom plus labour to fit) and you need the washer jets (poss new bumper, the washer jets and few other bits - quite costly!)

You need the washers and auto level for it to be legal! But the oem xenons will work without the 2 - just wont level...

When i get a chance, I'll probs just get the oem light unit and and auto level bit but talks have been said regardign xenons to be fitted with auto level and washers to pass the MOT.