hid install fuse change?

swarcup

Reaction score
Quick question

Am about to install my first hid kit and it says to change the headlight fuse to min 20a, ive never read about this in any threads that i can remember. Is it correct?

Many thanks

Depends on the kit I suppose, mine said nothing about swapping a fuse (35w kit)

I have the canbus pro kit from HID direct.
Leave the fuse as it is. Is it asking for a higher or lower amp fuse?
If lower then I would understand if the kits require less current, if it requires more then leave the fuse as it is at the moment.

Though a HID kit does use less current, when it is intially switched on there is a current surge as the Ballast/control units have an inductive load, this initial surge can far exceed the fuse rating, but as it is only for a fraction of a second before it starts dropping the fuse depending on its condition/quality/standard in this case can with stand it, the upgrade of the fuse will be just in case the original fuse blows.
The advise to leave the original correct rating fuse is quite correct, indeed I would be a little nervous uprating the fuse to 20A if the original cable in the car was rated lower than this figure, but if they have said this in there installation instructions they must have taken this into account.

Reactions: BRILLO
Many thanks for the help. The one I have bought is also the terminator 35w.5000k. Did you fit in the headlight, I looked at doing this but I'm not sure if the two boxes would go in.

hmm glad i came on hear this morning as i was doing the un manly thing of reading the instructions and spotted this also so was going to ask, so in stead i just went ahead and fitted them and no issues no fuse blowing and this was the hid's direct kit too only 35w on 4300k bulbs cant wait to go out and drive the car later now :)

Reactions: BRILLO
Yes all fine but throws loads of warning lights up sometimes. Will have to Ty putting the ballasts etc inside the headlight