HID fitting - help required

jbcalvin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Finally got all the stuff ready for my headlight replacement and about to follow Woorlord's guide, however......

It turns out my kit from HIDsdirect doesn't have slimline ballasts... ******....:banghead:

It looks as though they will fit into the recess under the headlights, however the recess is 18mm deep but the ballasts are 24mm deep....

Is there a gap under the headlight for this extra 6mm when fitted into the car or do i have the hassle of sending this kit back and re-ordering one with slimline ballasts, was really hoping to get the job done this weekend...:crying:

There isn't room mate, my kit had full size ballasts and I mounted them in the inner wing,

From memory you should have some spare space to fit the larger ballasts, I think there should be sufficient space under the light unit. It should only take you ten mins to take one light out and double check though.

Haha thats a contradiction then!

I'm only guessing, so if boya is speaking from experience then I'd go with his advice.

Ha ha, the light slides into a kind of holder and this holder touches the bottom of the headlight where the ballasts sit, please double check on your car though as it was over 9 month ago when I done mine.

Right,

Just checked and whipped out the drivers side unit, boya, there is no space.... aarrrgghhhhhhhh

Right off to order a slimline kit and hopefully be able to return hidsdirect kit....

cheers for the help anyway guys....

Hi,

Beware of radio interference with some kits the ballasts emit static and will wipe out FM stations and there is no real cure have a google and read there is pages of it. I have 50w can bus friendly ballasts with 4300k on my sport and they look like stock best way to install is to remove the headlight from the car and drill a 20mm hole in the bottom run the cables through the hole and bolt the ballast to the inside corners where the front valance connects to the wing. You will find a nice 6mm bolt with a 10mm nut waiting to be used :) on both sides. Then tie wrap the ballast to stop any movement as they are only fitted on a centre bolt. Job can be done in about 1hr and if done this way when opening the bonnet nothing is visible. Sides are 8 led 501's with onboard chip to prevent can bus errors. I have very minimal radio interference but have had ballasts in the past that have knocked out my FM reception really bad....be warned

Cheers bondwithme,

Actually mounting the ballasts in the oem section on the underside of the light unit as per Woorlords guide.... also screening the cables/unit to prevent this happening as well as the occasional effects on the crash sensors....

Would be a bit wary of small ballasts emitting enough static to affect the FM reception as I have an avant and the aerials in the rear windows... nobody else here has reported this issue either...

Steve

I have an FM transmittor for my Ipod, and it will buzz for the first 30 secs when I turn the lights on, but then disappears. I never have any trouble listening to a proper station.

My ballasts are mounted up near the bulkhead out of the way.