hid error fix help

Twaz

Reaction score
Hi guys so I have an a4 cab installed xenon 55w a few weeks ago and done the error fix the next day after I had about 3 error lights and my speedo stopped working, worked great for about a week now it seems to give me all the errors and stops my speedo whenever it feels like :/

You will need to move the HID ballasts further away or change the ballasts

This appears to happen with the larger ballasts/cheaper kits mainly but it does vary, as they give off electrical interferance that the car ECU hates and gets confused with.

I have small ballasts that are mounted in the recess of the headlight base, and then on a metal back plate for additional shielding that is silicone sealed to keep water/moisture out..............never had an issue (touch wood!)

The head lights are a little different in the cabriolet so I just have all the parts from mine inside the headlight... can't really move it away unless I mount it on the front of the car lol

You have to find your earth wire on the head light and put it to the body of the car .. There's a bolt not far away you can use

Or use B5 or B6 genuine ballasts and you will have no issues at all. Mine has never brought one warning up since ditching the aftermarket ballasts and fitting OEM ballasts. Not done any earth mods or rewiring. All totally standard. My ballast sits between the light and ABS unit on the N/S too.

have similar issues with mine.
got my kit from hid's-direct i think, was reccomended on here by a few people on one post.
but have had 2 replacement ballasts so far.
had speedo stop once, several times has traction control light and brake warning come up on the dash,
just found that by turning engine off, and on twice, it then goes away,
not sure where to move my ballasts too, no where to mount them, even though they are the slim ones too.

No need to just earth your headlight
I just wondered if an additional earth point to the chassis would dissipate the interference people are getting. Bit like the braided straps that used to be used on radio's to help with RF interference!!

The earth wire that earths your headlight also earths a few other things and the extra load your putting down the wire the wire can't take it .. Thats why you get interference so by earthing your heads lights separately it makes them work ok without a problem