Good weather this weekend, so thought I’d choose not to waste it. Could have gone a bike ride, or a walk i the country Etc, but nooooo, I thought I’d refit the entire braking system.
Began with the rears. New calipers installed and then bled through completely with new fluid. I’m amazed how the brake dust has eaten into the paint on the hangars already, so doesn’t look look quite as good on the rear as I’d hoped. But job was completed on the back without issue.
The fronts were always going to be an unknown, with a few niggles to sort. Upgrading from 312mm setup to 350mm setup. After stripping the old off one side, it was soon apparent that even though I had ground the corner off the hangar to clear the adapters, it wasn’t enough. Out with the angle grinder again. Id expected the inner brake hose connection to be a pita to remove, but it actually came off nice and easy. Getting the hangar bolts on whilst trying to hold the disc in position turned into a bit of a moment, not easy as they weigh ‘a lot‘ these new discs. But once the caliper was on it was all relatively easy. The only trouble at this point was getting the outer caliper spring installed, wow, what an absolute pain in the rear. The brakes bled up just fine though at this stage, so took some pics, installed the wheel, took some more pics. I’m actually amazed how small they look behind the 18’s though.
Putting the passenger side on was a breeze, until the dreaded outer caliper spring again, gaaaaawd what a bi**ch. On this side the spring wouldn’t go in, because the caliper is from a really poor casting. Meaning that the centre hole where the square part of the spring should fit, wouldn’t fit. Had to remove the caliper and get the Dremel out to reshape, multiple times. And the spring clip still wouldn’t fit. Running out of time here before a family dinner, I’ve had to put it together without the spring fitted. I’ll remove it all on Tuesday this week, and make it fit properly.
Quick test drive, and oooooh dear, we’ve got a looooooong pedal. After pumping it’s ok, but leave it a while and it’s long again. I think we have a lot of air in the system, which is odd when I’ve used a pressure bleeder. Back on the drive, and I’ve got fluid all round the inside of the drivers wheel. So, the niggles have surfaced. I’ll have the car back on stands on Tuesday, tighten every single union there is, everything rechecked, and fix the spring on the passenger side. I kind of expected this, but I’ll fix it. Looks like I’m walking to work until Wednesday.