Hi Guys - Moved from an 8P TDI to a 8L S3

JNP

Reaction score
Hey,

As the title says really, i've been a member on here for years and have been using my reliable 8P sport to do the 50 mile commute each day but just bought an S3 as I am in the process of buying a flat right next to my work so no longer need to worry about mpg for once!

Anyway, here is a pic of her I took after I drove back from Poole. Already filthy!!

IMAG0308

I think it's completely bog standard (which isn't a bad thing when you consider the extras already included) and I think it's an AMK engine being a 51 plate (?) so should be kicking out about 210 (maybe 200 ish now) so stage 1 remap would be my first mod!

It looks like alot of people get some bits off Badger 5 to compliment the map, is it unwise to only do a map due to strain on the other parts?

Only other question i have is that I think I saw a sub in the boot above the left side wheel, does that mean it has an up-rated sound system or is that standard? The head unit is a concert which only seems to be playing sound out of the two front speakers at the moment so it's hard to tell!

Anyway, she has done 73k and has full Audi service history in Poole whilst being valeted every 2 weeks :blink: inside and out according to the owners.

Very tidy car for the age and drives very well.

Any comments welcome guys :)

Cheers,

Jim

Welcome to S3 ownership, Badger5 3" intake is a must buy if you want to up the power, it gives 10-15bhp after you have a stage1 map, based on my own experiences.

Subwoofer is standard on S3's, it also powers your rear speakers. Unless you have a Bose sound system upgrade, you will see a black amplifier in the driverside rear quarter.

Cheers Jojo, will keep the intake upgrade in mind. Do the 8L S3's have clutch issues if you start ramping up the bhp/ torque like the 8P's do?

The only bit of kit I saw was on the passenger side so must be the sub you spoke of, i will check the wiring when it's light to see if this might be why the rear speakers aren't working.

Cheers Jojo, will keep the intake upgrade in mind. Do the 8L S3's have clutch issues if you start ramping up the bhp/ torque like the 8P's do?

The only bit of kit I saw was on the passenger side so must be the sub you spoke of, i will check the wiring when it's light to see if this might be why the rear speakers aren't working.

The original clutch is capable of taking stage1 remapped power, but in general, a remap will usually highlight worn parts, so if you feel the clutch is a bit worn, a remap will probably make it slip, there's been a few reported cases of this, which is expected for the age of these cars now.

If the rear speakers is not working, then I'm guessing the sub isn't working too. There's a circuit built into the subwoofer which powers the sub and rear speakers on the standard setup, you will need to source a complete sub woofer unit I'm afraid, or upgrade to an Andymac stealth sub setup.

OK cheers mate, Clutch feels OK but it's early days on driving it so we will see.

I will check the fuses too and behind the head unit, if the sub has gone then upgrading to a better system might be a better option ;)

OK cheers mate, Clutch feels OK but it's early days on driving it so we will see.

I will check the fuses too and behind the head unit, if the sub has gone then upgrading to a better system might be a better option ;)

Jojo is spot on.

On the clutch element and modifications, If you get anywhere near 300bhp/lb of power or torque, it's likely that you'll mince the clutch in under a week.

Hi JNP, welcome, i only joined the other day too!

I bought the V3 version of the badger5 3" Tip, its well worth buying. I also have a forge 007p and remap, getting about 270bhp going by my g/s logs which isnt too shabby ;)

Jojo is spot on.

On the clutch element and modifications, If you get anywhere near 300bhp/lb of power or torque, it's likely that you'll mince the clutch in under a week.

Yea to be fair guys I don't want that much power but was looking for more the 230-250 mark really. Did the 02+ BAM 225's have the same clutch set up as both the earlier 210 versions?

Cheers Ghaz, will check those parts out, did you go and visit Bill @ Badger in Glos and get the parts fitted?

Well i B5 Tip and Remap will pass your expectations :)
Nah, i popped up to pickup the tip, i drove up from Wales/Cardiff as i couldn't wait for it to be delivered :p
Fitted it myself, however, i have heard good things about his work so...

Nice car!! :D I do love the Mk1 S3!

A remap is a must!! Even more so as we have 25% discount on the APR software too!!! So it brings the price down from £418.80 inc VAT to £314.10 inc VAT!

If you have cruise control you will benefit from being able to switch remaps and take use of the valet mode, lock outs etc that you can get! If you don't have cruise control we can add that for an extra £120.00 inc VAT

Another great benefit is that if you get APR stage 1, if you buy a few of the Stage 2 items from us, like the TIP, Air Intake or exhaust we can upgrade you to Stage 3 for free!!

Awesome Mike