B8 Hi guys... dilemma .... RS4 B8 or RS3??

seanick

Reaction score
Hi guys planning on changing my current A4 and finally getting into an RS model.... looking at both B8 RS4 2102/2015 and 2015/16 RS3... any pros or cons from current owners of either or both might help a lad out .... I’m going to ask on the RS3 forum too just to see......

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Hi guys planning on changing my current A4 and finally getting into an RS model.... looking at both B8 RS4 2102/2015 and 2015/16 RS3... any pros or cons from current owners of either or both might help a lad out .... I’m going to ask on the RS3 forum too just to see......

Hey up. Gonna chime in just because it passes the time until I get mine haha.

I'm in a B9 S4 Avant coming from the B8.5 S4 Avant. New chassis is much lighter and has more exhaust character/cracking interior etc but like you, it's time to get into an RS and I've always loved the B8.

I did look at the RS3 PFL and that 5 pot and exhaust are other worldly. Insanely loud and bags of character. It'd even be better on the roads I drive being in the hills BUT, it's just too small and the interior just feels a bit...can't put me finger on it. Not a reason not to buy it though. Great engine. You'd be giving up a lot of boot space mind you.

So I'm going for/holding out for a Sepang Limited Edition RS4 Avant. 2015. There is a bit of weight in the nose from my limited time with one but I wasn't driving it on full chuff. For me, it's just an iconic car with a timeless look and one of the best engines ever built. More grown up than the RS3 but still with loads of umph. I'm going Cat back Miltek when I do get it. So aggressive. @DeanoC is the RS4 ownership guru and there are some great guys on here that know what faults to look out for.

Great dilemma you've got anyway Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: seanick and V6_Man
Hey up. Gonna chime in just because it passes the time until I get mine haha.

I'm in a B9 S4 Avant coming from the B8.5 S4 Avant. New chassis is much lighter and has more exhaust character/cracking interior etc but like you, it's time to get into an RS and I've always loved the B8.

I did look at the RS3 PFL and that 5 pot and exhaust are other worldly. Insanely loud and bags of character. It'd even be better on the roads I drive being in the hills BUT, it's just too small and the interior just feels a bit...can't put me finger on it. Not a reason not to buy it though. Great engine. You'd be giving up a lot of boot space mind you.

So I'm going for/holding out for a Sepang Limited Edition RS4 Avant. 2015. There is a bit of weight in the nose from my limited time with one but I wasn't driving it on full chuff. For me, it's just an iconic car with a timeless look and one of the best engines ever built. More grown up than the RS3 but still with loads of umph. I'm going Cat back Miltek when I do get it. So aggressive. @DeanoC is the RS4 ownership guru and there are some great guys on here that know what faults to look out for.

Great dilemma you've got anyway Enjoy.

Thanks lad ... my heads going round and round lol....I was 4 all the way until recently.....I like as you say the sound of the 3 ...sorry I love it ...I’ve looked at the two alongside each other and was drawn to the 4 ..... my wife the 5... yes I thought the seats apart the 3 I dunno... but something missing too..... it’s a B8 A4 I have and inside the 4 would be almost identical.... what do you think about depreciation 4 hold its price better than 3????

Thanks lad ... my heads going round and round lol....I was 4 all the way until recently.....I like as you say the sound of the 3 ...sorry I love it ...I’ve looked at the two alongside each other and was drawn to the 4 ..... my wife the 5... yes I thought the seats apart the 3 I dunno... but something missing too..... it’s a B8 A4 I have and inside the 4 would be almost identical.... what do you think about depreciation 4 hold its price better than 3????

Tough one. 3 is obviously more recent tech etc inside. I suspect that NA V8 being the last one they'll do to really hold it value. All mileage dependent. The 3 has been facelifted with more power so that might well hurt it in time to come. I haven't checked auto trader so can't comment.

Do you have the Avant or saloon? Defo miss the boot Space I reckon if you use it. The 3 is smaller than that of the A3 because of the battery location. As a toy, the 3 is epic. It's very loud and just one of a kind. I can certainly see the appeal but I love the 4. Very different animals. Tough choice if you're genuinely pondering both! Maybe do what I'm doing and look for a run out Limited Edition 4? Interior is so nice. Yes, similar to standard A4 but diamond stitched two tone leather and nice carbon.

e73dc1915a981cd80c142d2faba8c9d1.jpg

Can't get enough of it haha. You'll find them in this, black/grey, black/red and black/yellow I believe.

Reactions: TDI-line, RS4B5 and seanick
Tough one. 3 is obviously more recent tech etc inside. I suspect that NA V8 being the last one they'll do to really hold it value. All mileage dependent. The 3 has been facelifted with more power so that might well hurt it in time to come. I haven't checked auto trader so can't comment.

Do you have the Avant or saloon? Defo miss the boot Space I reckon if you use it. The 3 is smaller than that of the A3 because of the battery location. As a toy, the 3 is epic. It's very loud and just one of a kind. I can certainly see the appeal but I love the 4. Very different animals. Tough choice if you're genuinely pondering both! Maybe do what I'm doing and look for a run out Limited Edition 4? Interior is so nice. Yes, similar to standard A4 but diamond stitched two tone leather and nice carbon.

e73dc1915a981cd80c142d2faba8c9d1.jpg

Can't get enough of it haha. You'll find them in this, black/grey, black/red and black/yellow I believe.

Thanks for your replies........Wow wow wow that interior is amazing .....yes deep down i don’t know why I feel that the 4 might hold its value slightly better .... I’m in a saloon A4 presently but space isn’t really a worry either way more or less wouldn’t be an issue.... I like your plan on a final ed I’m guessing that there won’t be too many come up for sale tho?.... yes with regards to price I think the 4 seems settled I’m not sure if the new 4 will impact too much on older ones I’d hope so as I’m looking to buy... although I doubt it will..... as far as 3s Go it’s just the sound!!!.....the pops/bangs etc... until I heard that it was 4 all day long.... yip a difficult one...swayed one minute by the presence of the 4 then I think but is new tech better.... lol lol lol.... decisions decisions decisions

Job done.

I cannot WAIT to get mine this year.

Ya wanna know the best way of looking at it? And I think Terminator X kinda said this if I'm not mistaken...you're never going to see or hear this NA V8 again. Just LISTEN to this thing. You'll still be able to pick up a great spec/priced RS3 after a few years of RS4 ownership. One great engine to another. But, I'm getting this whilst we still can bro.

Reactions: seanick
..... wow great sound ❤️❤️... ive just spent the last 15 mins grinning at the screen ... lol yea I like your suggestion a yr or two In an rs4 and still be able to step into a 3 might not be a bad idea... thanks for making me smile

..... wow great sound ️... ive just spent the last 15 mins grinning at the screen ... lol yea I like your suggestion a yr or two In an rs4 and still be able to step into a 3 might not be a bad idea... thanks for making me smile

That's what it's all about. I'd go for a test drive tomorrow if my local Audi weren't so ****** tight! Haha.

Lol....tight? ....are they not keen to let you out in the rs?... I’ve not been in to request a test drive yet... my local audi has a 3 , 4 and 5 in at the moment..... I’m thinking they will assume I’m just after a blast if I ask to go out in both or all ....

Lol....tight? ....are they not keen to let you out in the rs?... I’ve not been in to request a test drive yet... my local audi has a 3 , 4 and 5 in at the moment..... I’m thinking they will assume I’m just after a blast if I ask to go out in both or all ....

Yeah that's they're like at mine.

I'm buying from Poole Audi (awesome guys) but I live up North and all they want to do is "talk figures". Winds me up. I've had my cars serviced there for 4 years now.

Lol don’t they all just talk figures!!!!!

Poole is about as far south as you can go.... but if they are good to deal with it’s a result....

My current A4 I bought from Eastbourne Audi... (not so awesome) and I also live up north... haha but probably closer to the artic circle than you (hence Quattro required)

Wow, can't believe Audi created interiors like this! I thought they were all about classy understated, but quality....obviously not! Not sure if I like it or not, but glad to see Audi letting their hair down.

Reactions: RS4B5 and Thundercliffe81
Wow, can't believe Audi created interiors like this! I thought they were all about classy understated, but quality....obviously not! Not sure if I like it or not, but glad to see Audi letting their hair down.

I really really like it That's what I'm going for.

I’ve had a similar dilemma this time last year, but went for a late 2014 RS4 with low mileage. Never regretting the decision on the RS4 for a minute. I do a combination of city country and dual carriageway driving and it’s an absolute dream. The fact I can get four adults with golf clubs and weekend bags in it is even better. Pic attached, next change will be for the new shape but I’m going to wait and pick one up in a couple of years.

And for what it’s worth, as no one makes money on these types of cars but I’ve been offered £1500 less than what I paid for it 10 months ago from a local dealer who is desperate for stock so they appear to be holding up.

Attachments

• 9F6EDA43-64FA-4E15-A2F5-867EB4E4BCC4.jpeg
    9F6EDA43-64FA-4E15-A2F5-867EB4E4BCC4.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 419
Reactions: seanick, Terminator x and Thundercliffe81
I’ve had a similar dilemma this time last year, but went for a late 2014 RS4 with low mileage. Never regretting the decision on the RS4 for a minute. I do a combination of city country and dual carriageway driving and it’s an absolute dream. The fact I can get four adults with golf clubs and weekend bags in it is even better. Pic attached, next change will be for the new shape but I’m going to wait and pick one up in a couple of years.

And for what it’s worth, as no one makes money on these types of cars but I’ve been offered £1500 less than what I paid for it 10 months ago from a local dealer who is desperate for stock so they appear to be holding up.

The right colour too how far you getting out of a full tank? Your driving habits seem the same as mine. No one extreme.

Do you have DRC?

The right colour too how far you getting out of a full tank? Your driving habits seem the same as mine. No one extreme.

Do you have DRC?

Usually about 250-280 miles. I run it on V power all the time so about £75 to fill from empty. I only do about 5-6k miles a year so doesn’t worry me too much.

Don’t have DRC, for me the car in pretty much standard spec is more than I’ll ever need. I have the car setting in auto, occasionally use dynamic but be warned you have to be on guard as it turns into even more of a handful!!

Personally I prefer my external styling with the Silver finishes / front splitter. Makes it a bit different, but not to everyone’s tastes.

Do you have DRC?

You might be interested lad❤️... too rich for me £45995 but ❤️❤️

Reactions: TDI-line and Thundercliffe81

You might be interested lad️... too rich for me £45995 but

I've seen that video too! Wayyyyyyyy too pricey for my blood too, mate. Cheers for heads up.

Holding out for Sepang Blue and let's just say less than £45k! The Limited Edition should start dropping when B9 builds come through.

Wow nice car ...
Thanks for the reply I’m not worried as to making any money out of ownership I’m just unsure as to wether th 3 or 4 would hold its price better....I like you do around 5-6k yr and that’s good to hear reg price.....

I've seen that video too! Wayyyyyyyy too pricey for my blood too, mate. Cheers for heads up.

Holding out for Sepang Blue and let's just say less than £45k! The Limited Edition should start dropping when B9 builds come through.

Lol.... 45k is a lot....I know a lot of car but still a lot!!!!!....this ones only around 100mls from me looks awesome.....yeah Was thinking the May release would have an affect ....still on the fence as to its impact on what I’m looking at tho.......

Lol.... 45k is a lot....I know a lot of car but still a lot!!!!!....this ones only around 100mls from me looks awesome.....yeah Was thinking the May release would have an affect ....still on the fence as to its impact on what I’m looking at tho.......

The market is getting flooded now which is a good sign. Up from 102 to 130 odd on autotrader.

Did you make your decision?

I test drove an RS3 and it was good. The dealer let me 'make use of the available performance' and it really made me smile. I talked numbers and went away to think about it.

I then test drove a B8 RS4, with an equally accommodating dealer. Let me just say there was no thinking whatsoever. I drove away in it 3 days later.

On paper there may not be much between them, but in reality there is miles between them in terms of noise and performance.

263EB503 2528 46E6 B5A1 CDE167587E7F Hi everyone.
Been on the lookout for a nice RS4 V8.
Don’t no what it is but I’ve always admired them and want to scratch the itch for one.
I’d be coming from a PFL RS3 in Nardo grey.
Don’t get me wrong I love my current car but I’d just fancy something a bit more grown up, if you no what I mean.
So I’ve secured this beauty....
Thoughts please all.....some pics of both7F6C65A8 4532 4DCB A602 1D60DD90AF057F6C65A8 4532 4DCB A602 1D60DD90AF0531E2C5D4 1DA3 49A5 B799 7D8A8314D731BCEC0C3B AC40 4967 BAE5 39173917432F

Reactions: Pinky1959, oli356, RS4B5 and 2 others
View attachment 162240 Hi everyone.
Been on the lookout for a nice RS4 V8.
Don’t no what it is but I’ve always admired them and want to scratch the itch for one.
I’d be coming from a PFL RS3 in Nardo grey.
Don’t get me wrong I love my current car but I’d just fancy something a bit more grown up, if you no what I mean.
So I’ve secured this beauty....
Thoughts please all.....some pics of bothView attachment 162236View attachment 162236View attachment 162237View attachment 162239

Limited Edition in Daytona. Exceptional

I'm looking at sub £30k examples with 40ish thousand miles. The facelift S6 is out there for cheaper and less miles. Drove one yesterday and really liked it.

Obviously, it needs exhaust mod which is really simple and just think the power delivery was great. I've driven the RS4 also quite hard (had it for full day) and the fuel...oh my

I don't think people are ever truly ready for it are they? Haha. I'm taking the plunge by end of year. Just waiting for bonus to to be paid. The RS is more focussed and exciting out of the box. I'm under no illusion. But as a package with potential, the S6 is a real bargain. Still felt special.

Going over the numbers today with a mate but it's looking like fuel and handling are the main factors. Im not worried about making the S6 sound great. Plenty of options. Ugh, first world issues haha.

Thanks Thundercliffe.
Yea it’s lovely colour, unusual to as I’ve not seen many limited editions on the road, infact I don’t think I’ve seen one.
Fuel....well I don’t even want to think about that for now, hopefully collect it on Friday and I’ll see for myself how naive I’ve been about the cost of running it.:whistle2:
Yea S6 is lovely also but then so is the fastback S5 I think.
No don’t make me have second thoughts now ha..
So RS3 or the 4!!!

Thanks Thundercliffe.
Yea it’s lovely colour, unusual to as I’ve not seen many limited editions on the road, infact I don’t think I’ve seen one.
Fuel....well I don’t even want to think about that for now, hopefully collect it on Friday and I’ll see for myself how naive I’ve been about the cost of running it.:whistle2:
Yea S6 is lovely also but then so is the fastback S5 I think.
No don’t make me have second thoughts now ha..
So RS3 or the 4!!!

Sorry for the hijack but no doubts whatsoever...limited edition RS4 B8. It's one of the greatest. Everything in one car. RS3 would be great weekend car for really twisty and narrow roads but then the TTRS comes into play if it's just for weekend. You've made the right call

Not at all bud, all comments appreciated.
That’s what I was hoping to hear, I’ll youse it for what ever in the week so it’ll be an everyday car for me, till I realise I need to rob a bank to run the thing ha.

Reactions: RS5 JON and Thundercliffe81
First post from me , first RS for me and i had the same dilemma 3 or 4 - i thought the 3 was awsome , 5 pot, beautiful sound but it just looks like an S3 to me from outside with a few more dangly bits , The 4 - nothing beats that high revving V8 noise, its addictive and the car looks like an RS - low, sleek, wide so i went for the 4

Reactions: Steff s3 and Thundercliffe81
Hi lads.
Yea the seats are awesome, they really set the inside of the car off...also amazingly comfortable to.
Cracking vid thundercliffe...the noise of this animal especially for an estate car is WOW.
Fuel consumption.......Mmmmmmmmmm.
I’m shocked......but fek it it is what it is an it’s a V8 and it’s the last of a great aspirated block in the 4....and it’s mines at long last.
Absolutely love it.
Down with the lads in campsite for AITP this Sunday...so looking forward to that and I wonder how many others of the same will be here.

No......RS4B5 don’t do this to me as that’s cruel....:search:
I’ll stick with what I’ve got as it’s an amazing car bud

Reactions: RS4B5
Hi lads.
Yea the seats are awesome, they really set the inside of the car off...also amazingly comfortable to.
Cracking vid thundercliffe...the noise of this animal especially for an estate car is WOW.
Fuel consumption.......Mmmmmmmmmm.
I’m shocked......but fek it it is what it is an it’s a V8 and it’s the last of a great aspirated block in the 4....and it’s mines at long last.
Absolutely love it.
Down with the lads in campsite for AITP this Sunday...so looking forward to that and I wonder how many others of the same will be here.

Well happy for ya man. I've seen nothing but love for these despite the flaws. That's how a car should be.

Reactions: Steff s3
Any mods for your b8 ?
If I was in your position I would spend a year to chose which one to get .. Not to forget the sound of a s63b44ttu at 52 secs ...

Reactions: Steff s3
Well happy for ya man. I've seen nothing but love for these despite the flaws. That's how a car should be.

Cheers bud, yea I’m well happy with it, starting to get used to it and the way it deliveres the power and what you need to do to wined it up to do so.
Lots of good comments today at AITP today about it also.
So far good good.

Nop
Any mods for your b8 ?
If I was in your position I would spend a year to chose which one to get .. Not to forget the sound of a s63b44ttu at 52 secs ...
e nothing planned as such for it yet bud.
Just getting used to it and enjoying it

Cheers bud, yea I’m well happy with it, starting to get used to it and the way it deliveres the power and what you need to do to wined it up to do so.
Lots of good comments today at AITP today about it also.
So far good good.

Be great to know real world range from the tank and ride quality. I can't remember dynamic being as unusable as people say, when I drove one.