Hi come over from the B5 forum

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents!

I've been on the B5 forum now for a year or so. I own a B5 2.8 Avant. I have just bought the Mrs a 3.0 quattro avant on a 02 plate. Its fully loaded with all the sports trimmings etc. Its a great car and drives very well with only 38,000 and a full Audi service history. I have just finished polishing and decontaminating the paintwork and checked it over for potential probs and wear/tear. Everything seems pretty good! Problem wise/things to look out for is it similar to the usual B5 probs? (i.e. control arms/wet carpets/smokey rocker covers etc etc) or has the B6 got its own unique fair share of probs and niggles? Is there anything I should mod/swap to pre-empt and stop any potential probs? Guess all I'm looking for here is some sound advice about the B6 platform potential issues. As part of the sale I had the Audi garage..

-Change the timing belt and all the associated parts (thermo/water pump/tensioner etc)
-Change ALL fluids incl the diff and box oil
-Refurb the alloys
-Change both the rocker cover gasket seals (even though they were not smoking)

Many Thanks Gents!

Ollie

Welcome aboard Ollie.

Looks like you've pre-empted all the major concerns.
I am sure with a Audi FSH the coil packs were replaced as per the original recall.

Perhaps check the Alarm siren - internal batteries corrode and can give problems with alarm going off all the time or not at all. To check - bonnet up - alarm on - wait a minute or so then disconnect the battery - alarm should go off under battery backup until you reconnect the car battery. If it does not go off internal batteries are duff - requires a new siren (£80~£120 + fitting), or DIY mod. Signs of starting to fail - beeps from back of car when starting.

Hi Ollie

That sounds pretty comprehensive to me! The only other thing that springs to mind is the weak glovebox hinges which will break - I started a thread HERE which will prevent the problem. Its worth doing sooner rather than later as these break very regularly.

thermostats are always prone to going defective, if it sits at 90 then its ok. oops should have read your post properly:wacko:

Thanks gents. The coilpacks were replaced as per recall. The siren seems alright and by the looks of things it has had a new glovebox(in the service history?) so by the looks of things the hinges were already broken and have been replaced! - What oil would you guys reccomend for this engine (3ltr)? I use 5w-40 fully synth in my 2.8 and change it every 5k. Are these engines essentially the same apart from the extra 200cc in the 3ltr?

.............What oil would you guys reccomend for this engine (3ltr)? I use 5w-40 fully synth in my 2.8 and change it every 5k. Are these engines essentially the same apart from the extra 200cc in the 3ltr?

I have used Castrol Edge 5W-30 for ~6 years since the Castrol Longlife SLX was not readily available at normal outlets. I have seen Audi owners at Audi parts counters buying Castrol Longlife SLX-II over the parts counter at around £15+/Litre!
I do very low mileage in my weekend car but replace the oil annually despite the option for a long life service (~2 years) interval.