Hi all new to the forum!

Spud8p

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to the forum! And new too audi’s I have been and still am a vw nut.
I purchased an 2004 Audi A3 sport in dolphin grey 105k on the clock pd140 with the notorious BKD engine.
I have had no issues with the car as it has been very well looked after alsthoogh subtle mods have been made such as lowered all round on shocks and springs , twin pipe stainless tips (welded)
Stainless de cat pipe.
Also with factory bose system

Now I have the siren coming from the turbo and has been since I bought it I was none the wiser on this but I now am.
It also cut out on over boost which all I had to do is turn it off and back on again etc.
I am in the process of buying a hybrid turbo would you recommend changing the oil feed and return pipes too?
I also have a coolant leak somewhere I’m hoping I’m loosing it rather then using it!
What are the most common places to check for leaks I’m hoping the head isn’t cracked.

Many thanks

If there is no visible signs of a leak it could be the porous head or egr cooler. Check what head you have. If it ends in an ‘A’ then more than likely it is porus.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-2-0-tdi-bkd-coolant-leak.153462/

As for the turbo before you go hybrid try some turbo cleaner. It may just be that the vanes are coked up and aren’t moving freely, hence the over boost issue. Mine did exactly the same.

Do a search on the forum, there’s loads of useful info out there.

Oh, and welcome.

If there is no visible signs of a leak it could be the porous head or egr cooler. Check what head you have. If it ends in an ‘A’ then more than likely it is porus.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-2-0-tdi-bkd-coolant-leak.153462/

As for the turbo before you go hybrid try some turbo cleaner. It may just be that the vanes are coked up and aren’t moving freely, hence the over boost issue. Mine did exactly the same.

Do a search on the forum, there’s loads of useful info out there.

Oh, and welcome.

Hi mate I have put some revive turbo cleaner through it but to no avail.
My plan is hybrid turbo with new oil feed and return pipes
Egr removal including cooler
Cambelt kit fitted ( no history on belt ) although it looks new I want piece of mind.

I am at the moment filling expansion bottle up once every 11 days or so.

You could do the erg and cooler removal to see it it cures it. If it doesn’t my money is on the head.

Read the link I posted and work through it. There’s some useful diagnosing tips in it.

Thanks mate appreciate it
I may even send the head off and have the lot done at once

You can leave the cooler in place, and just loop the coolant lines the same way you would do with a cooler delete (for now ignore the emissions DTC since you have bigger problems).

1) now cando an overnight pressure test on the head no fuss.
2) drive with an EGR blank on the exhaust manifold and see if coolant loss is stopped

Regarding turbo issue, get a vacuum guage on to the actuator to see what is really happening.
1) is the Actuator smooth on the VNT
2) the N75 can be sticky so people swap temporarily with the n18 for a quick check when they don't have a vacuum pump for the job.

Also just put a standard recon balanced on, with the known level of issues of a rev A engine head eventually cracking it's not worth the bother uprating the turbo. Most likely the vanes is the root cause but don't throw a turbo on until the basics have been confirmed

Last edited:
Reactions: abmat