Hi all is this the right EGR delete kit?????

Ive always wonderd this. I think all 130 engines use the same bypass kit. Thats what ive read anyway. lol.

its an expensive way to do it IMO

you can just make a blanking plate out of scrap metal to go between the exhaust manifold and the EGR pipe disconnect the vac pipe from the EGR and blank it with a bolt and thats it!

i cant see why the EGR would cause you to use more fuel? if its stuck a good clean would be first on the cards its free and will tell you if the EGR is at fault of not!

i read many of threads that state egr delete makes worse fuel economy........im not 100% in this theory because never wanted to do mine but could someone clarify if it alters for me.....thanks

i have blanked mine off how i posted above and doesnt make MPG worse not so long back i got 58mpg out of a full tank

i have blanked mine off how i posted above and doesnt make MPG worse not so long back i got 58mpg out of a full tank

It does seem to be a job that splits opinon, somebody i work with swears by the Egr delete if theres a way of me saving £50 odd quid and still getting it blanked off i'm all for that.

I was under the impression that the EGR delete saved fuel, if it doesn't whats the point in doing it??????

Also if you just blank off the hole and do a DIY fix doesn't it bring up an engine light on the dash??? surely it must throw up some form of errors?????

All im trying to do is get some MPG back, im going to do both TEMP sensors over crimbo.....

Mine has been disconnected for about 3 months and thousands of miles now.

It can have a slight affect on MPG but i think its marginal, it helps the engine get up to temp as it sends exhaust gas into the inlet and also you will probably see your MAF values slightly higher when at idle which in turn possibly dumps more fuel.

On a plus side you remove the restriction the valve causes and keeps your inlet manifold nice and clean. You just have to google images of blocked EGR valves to see why this causes a problem.

My solenoids and/or the valve was broke causing serious bad running problems thats why mine is disconnected. Its an easy thing to try if you want to see the affects of an EGR bypass, just disconnect the hose to the valve and plug it with a bolt and see how it runs.

Hope that helps.

you may gain a few mpg but not a lot what it mainly does is stop the intake manifold clogging up with soot

blanking off and delete is more or less the same thing except if you make the plates and leave the egr fitted you dont have to buy a delete kit they are a waste of money if you can make a plate to cover the hole from the exhaust manifold to the inlet manifold

it doesnt bring any lights on or errors its operated by a vacuum and all it does is just open and close it no sensors are about to say if its open or shut

ive had mine done for over a year now

i would look at other things if you have lost MPG rather then the egr have you had the MAF checked? turbo boosting fine? no boost leaks?

if you cant be ***** to make the plates you can get them for about £5 off ebay

Theres only one temp sensor, i would log the actual coolant temp via vag com to see if you have a dodgy thermostat.

if your car reaches normal temp and holds it 90°c then i would say the temp sensor is fine

it will take a while to reach temp in this weather though but once there it should hold

when mine failed it would only get to 70°c

You need to do it via vag com or other OBD gauge setup like ScanGauge tho, the gauge in the clocks is not accurate.

I've blanked mine and I have the management light on. Not put a bolt in the vacume pipe though
So will give that a try. I only blanked mine at the bottom.
I'm very sure mine never reaches 90.. It stays between the white marker and 90
It's had a new temp sensor too as it was bringing up the engine management light a while ago

if your car reaches normal temp and holds it 90°c then i would say the temp sensor is fine

it will take a while to reach temp in this weather though but once there it should hold

when mine failed it would only get to 70°c

My temp gauge is like yours was, it struggles to get to 70 degrees and then just sits there no matter how far you drive.

How many blanking plates do you need? if you leave the valve on but just blank it been used?

Sorry for all the questions but last one, what size screws are used for holding the blanking plate on?

Gunna hook mine up to vag com when i can find somebody close to burnley who has vag com and knows how to use it properly.My mates a novice with his and is worried about doing my DIS !!!

Anybody nearish Burnley whos gud with VAG COM.

you only need one plate at the bottom end of the pipe which is the exhaust manifold side not sure on the bolt size

it does sound like your temp sensor is duff but as above get it checked out via vag com to be sure mine was using a lot of fuel before i did the temp sensor

Theres only one temp sensor, i would log the actual coolant temp via vag com to see if you have a dodgy thermostat.

That would be what happened to my 2.5TDI - rose to 70 and sat there. A dead thermostat.

Can anyone answer tho OP tho? Is that link the right one for the 130 a4's?

When bypassing the EGR, if disconnecting the hose and plugging it stop the EGR working, why is a blanking plate required? I'm thinking of bypassing mine (PD130), but being a tad lazy and rarely at home when it's not dark, I don't want to do anythng more than I have to.

When bypassing the EGR, if disconnecting the hose and plugging it stop the EGR working, why is a blanking plate required? I'm thinking of bypassing mine (PD130), but being a tad lazy and rarely at home when it's not dark, I don't want to do anythng more than I have to.

Thats a gud point, im tempted to do mine but there seems to be different opinions as to whether this mod does much? my main aim is to save fuel, but it seems that the EGR delete has no effect on this????????

The old motor had been running very badly just lately. Hardly any power below 2000rpm and seeemed to be getting worse with the wet weather. Must admit was put off bypassing the EGR due to mixed feedback. Anyway drving was becoming a nightmare so the vac pipe from the EGR has now been pulled out and blocked off with a golf tee. Massive difference! Running perfectly now. No warning lights. Any need to fit a blanking plate??

The old motor had been running very badly just lately. Hardly any power below 2000rpm and seeemed to be getting worse with the wet weather. Must admit was put off bypassing the EGR due to mixed feedback. Anyway drving was becoming a nightmare so the vac pipe from the EGR has now been pulled out and blocked off with a golf tee. Massive difference! Running perfectly now. No warning lights. Any need to fit a blanking plate??

Hummm mite try that, were is the EGR valve? is it easy to get @, is it @ the back of the engine?

the gold silver thing pokeing out the top of the engine plastics m8...... look like a dump valve sort of if that helps

Has anyone changed the adaption values on vag com for the EGR as well as the disconnecting and blanking off of the egr?

Not really you won't feel any power increase

I just want mine to do more to the gallon, my last two fillups 1st one 40.93 mpg 2nd one 36.36 mpg !!!! the 2nd one is town & a little motorway driving....Im tempted to have a go @ just unplugging the pipe and shoving a golf tee up the pipe as i've heard on here that that is a quick fix????

Has anybody done this????

Hi Holmefield, I by-passed my EGR just using a golf tee pushed into the vac pipe and after the car was running spot for a few days and the loss of power problem I was getting disappeared. Unfortunately, I’m now getting a similar problem with loss of power but not quite as bad as before. I think my new problem is probably related to a vac or boost leak caused by me tinkering with some of the vac hoses (I’m going to add details in a new thread). However, I suppose it may have come about as a result of by-passing the EGR, so I thought I’d mention it. Anyway it only takes 2min and no effort at all to by-pass the egr this way and the same to reverse it. Even though my car isn’t running great at the moment it’s still better than it was before I by-passed the egr, so I would suggest trying it.

I done this properly when avoiding the rain yesterday...

Underside of the EGR valve i ripped off...
DSC03266.jpg

And inside it, pretty manly to be honest.
DSC03270.jpg

Feed pipe to EGR from the block.
DSC03274.jpg

And fitted with the engine cover back on.
DSC03280.jpg

DSC03283.jpg

I done this properly when avoiding the rain yesterday...

Underside of the EGR valve i ripped off...
DSC03266.jpg

And inside it, pretty manly to be honest.
DSC03270.jpg

Feed pipe to EGR from the block.
DSC03274.jpg

And fitted with the engine cover back on.
DSC03280.jpg

DSC03283.jpg

I though thats where it is, i see that you've fitted one of those allard kits to, did you Pay around £50.00 for it?

Do you have really have to do the manifold???????????? can you not just do the EGR delete bit???

The ebay link is the one I fitted. The egr taken off was similar condition to PhilW's above.
Mine was fitted to try to solve sticking turbo veins, it did, not had any overboost problems since.
Car seems a little more lively too, but thats just seat of the pants dyno.
You do have to cut a fitting off of the factory intake pipe to fit to allard pipe. So once its on car you cant replace original egr if there is an EML or want to take off to sell.
Mine is a 52 plate and no EML, with hoses bunged! (A bolt and booky pencil!!)
IMG_1026.jpg

If your fitting allard kit and your egr is full of crap your intake maifold probable the same so i would clean.
I also striped turbo and cleaned.

Last edited:
I couldn't be bothered to do the inlet to be honest, didn't think the EGR was massively bad to be honest, I've seen/had worse so the inlet can only be better. A quick wipe inside the inlet didn't produce that much crap, seems to build up round the EGR to be honest.

I would recommend simplifying the vac lines as well, just leave the solenoids electrically plugged in.

I couldn't be bothered to do the inlet to be honest, didn't think the EGR was massively bad to be honest, I've seen/had worse so the inlet can only be better. A quick wipe inside the inlet didn't produce that much crap, seems to build up round the EGR to be honest.

I would recommend simplifying the vac lines as well, just leave the solenoids electrically plugged in.

Well think i'll order one of those allard kits after crimbo and do the EGR delete....

The ebay link is the one I fitted. The egr taken off was similar condition to PhilW's above.
Mine was fitted to try to solve sticking turbo veins, it did, not had any overboost problems since.
Car seems a little more lively too, but thats just seat of the pants dyno.
You do have to cut a fitting off of the factory intake pipe to fit to allard pipe. So once its on car you cant replace original egr if there is an EML or want to take off to sell.
Mine is a 52 plate and no EML, with hoses bunged! (A bolt and booky pencil!!)
IMG_1026.jpg
Didnt know there was 2 pipes you had to block off when doing the EGR blank...
Think i need to source the second one and see if its any better... Ive stuck a golf tee in the top vac pipe that you can easily see

I blocked off my EGR vac pipes yesterday, & the car ran better, but after a couple of driving cycles the EML came on. Cleared it with Vag Com, but again EML came back on! I'm a bit surprised by this as the EGR isn't operated electrically? I wasn't expecting a problem with a vac operated EGR as I've done it before & not had a problem. I do have a blanking plate ready to fit, but is it going to throw the EML as well?

When I by-pssed my EGR, I just blocked off the vac pipe to the EGR itself. I left the one that goes to the anti shudder valve connected. I got no EML lights doing it this way. I don't know if that'll make a difference.