HG Intake Pipe - Fitting Issues

Toshers

Reaction score
I thought I would write a short summary of my experience fitting the HG Motorsports intake pipe. I'd done some research and read several posts from others that had fitted it.

Removing the standard intake pipe is very straight forward and self explanatory. I was forewarned that there could be issues with the silicon connecting hoses supplied with the HG kit, too short, poor fit and quite thick. Another forum member had put me onto Turbosmart for alternative hoses and clamps and I had ordered a set based on their recommendations. I made sure I had these available before I started.

Biggest issue I'd read about was alignment of the fixing lug to the original pipe bracket. Some fitted a spacer as they had found it necessary because of clearance issues to an electrical connector at the turbo end of the pipe. I could see there was going to be an issue here also. The HG supplied hoses are very thick, almost twice what the Turbosmart hose is. Both seem to have the same number of silicon layers. The first pic shows where I attempted to fit a spacer to give adequate clearance using the HG hose.

IMG 0088

Having this spacer gave me serious alignment issues at the airbox end...

IMG 0089

At this point I ditched both the HG hoses. The spacer was removed and the Turbosmart reducer hose fitted at the turbo end. Alignment was now spot on at the airbox and because the hose was thinner I had good clearance to the connector.

IMG 0096

Unfortunately this resulted in another issue. The small hose that comes off the centre of the intake pipe wouldn't fit in its original path. I think this is because of the increased diameter of the HG intake pipe. I removed the small hose from the cable-tie style mounting clip to allow it free movement. The path it now took from its original is shown in red below.

IMG 0092

This small hose was now sitting on top of the electrical wiring loom and not beside it as before. Would the engine cover still fit? Eh, no. It now wanted to pop off as this small hose was fouling the cover at the rear. Two options here, cut and shorten the hose so it could be placed back in its original route, or make a small clearance for the hose in the engine cover. I didn't think I could shorten the hose, because of the type of material, and get it pushed back onto the mating connector. If you feel the thickness and hardness of this hose you'll maybe understand my reservations even attempting to shorten it. The cover was therefor modified slightly. It's at the back of the cover, so it can't be seen when looking under the bonnet. Done well it looks like it's meant to be there.

IMG 0094

So all fitted. No spacer required at the bracket and everything lines up perfectly. You will need the Turbosmart hoses. The ones that comes with the HG kit are all but useless. This adds a significant cost to the upgrade. All in you're looking at a total cost of approximately £350. Is it worth it? I'm not sure. Would I do it again? I'm not sure of that either! The HG intake pipe is a nice thing, should give a mild performance gain and adds to the under bonnet appearance. It should fit better though, or at least come supplied with connecting hoses that are up to the job!

Final pics of everything together.

IMG 0093

IMG 0090

IMG 0099

Hope it helps and gives an idea of what is involved. The task should take 30 minutes but best to give yourself 2 hours.

HG Intake Pipe
Turbosmart Hose 1
Turbosmart Hose 2
Murray Clamp 1
Murray Clamp 2

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: jimojameso, T-800, Behind The Bins and 2 others
Looks good.

I ‘bent’ the mounting bracket to get rid of the PCVhose issue.

It’s a shame HG haven’t fully developed this kit before allowing it out to the masses

Murray clamps are sooooo much the better option too.

Have to agree, first time using the Murray clamps and was quite impressed with them. Will definitely use them again.

Shame the FL version doesn't seem to fit well at all. Well done on getting it sorted. I have the PFL version and the fit is really good!

I had exactly the same problems fitting the intake but ended up re=engineering it too. I went for the OEM look with the flexible rubber connector at the airbox end (Its a Nissan part from USA). The Murray clamps are not cheap but are way better than a standard hose clamp when you consider expansion and contraction when the engine is hot/cold.

IMG 3513

Reactions: T-800