Hey new to the forum

craig20102010

Reaction score
Hi Iv just bought a 2012 a6 avant 3.0tdi 245bhp. It's the sline model and I hope it'll be good to me for many years.

After reading a few of the posts on here I'm a bit worried that the gearbox hasn't had it's 38k service. It's done 45k now and has full Audi service history. Is it possible that Audi won't of serviced the gearbox on the car if the previous owners told them not to?

Is there any way I can check to see if this has been done?

Also what does the clunkiness mean between 1st 2nd and reverse? I don't think mine has that but just so I know what I'm looking out for.

At the min I'm just running the gearbox in efficiency and it seems to be fine.

I'm looking to maybe do a fee subtle things to the car in the future. Iv already tinted the rear windows for the dog and baby and also the looks .

I'm not sure if I'll be going as far as lowering it but I'll be certainly changing the wheels and changing the air filter to a k&n panel filter as I feel you get better power and economy with these.

I'll have a look through the forum for other mods that people tend to do and see what takes my fancy.

Cheers Craig.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Craig

Welcome to Audi-Sport.net :)

Have you any pictures of the car? Also, are you looking to join the club stand at any of the events this year?

Good luck on your gearbox information hunt. Hopefully they've already done it for you!

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: craig20102010
I'll get some photos of the car today. The only photo I have at the moment is this one

I'm hoping the gearbox oil has been done already with it having full Audi service history I would of thought Audi would of sorted it as part of the servicing.

I doubt I'll be joining the stand as I have a little 8 month old child and it's hard to get time away to do things like that.
4695fe619e75bc39ca1931e6ddd1cd4e.jpg

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Sean Byrne and Scottyg
If in any doubt about the service history, call the local main dealer and they will be able to check Elsawin for a list of any work carried out.

Nice motor, but save your money on the air filter, you won't get more power and it won't make a bit of difference on the economy side.

Hi Craig, lovely car. Enjoy :)

You can signup and login (I believe you need your VIN number) to http://www.audi.com/en/myaudi.html and you can get service information for your car here.

Obviously any concerns call your Audi Dealer.

Nice motor, but save your money on the air filter, you won't get more power and it won't make a bit of difference on the economy side.
O right. Are you speaking from experience?

I have always felt a new lifetime filter has made a difference.

Worth getting the gearbox service done for peace of mind,cost me £199 at Derby Audi and mine was done at 70k, not the recommended 38k. Couldn't feel any difference when done but I'd say that's a good thing.

Worth getting the gearbox service done for peace of mind,cost me £199 at Derby Audi and mine was done at 70k, not the recommended 38k. Couldn't feel any difference when done but I'd say that's a good thing.

It's always worth doing. I'd feel better once it's been done. The chances are I won't need it doing again in the time I own the car.

Should be on electronic service history

Nice motor :)

As it's only recommended I reckon most first owners leave it if they don't plan to keep it much past 38k.

Anything I should look out for with the higher mileage A6's?

Cambelt around 130k or 5 years on the 2.0 TDi.

Looking to get some new wheels for this but when I look at the likes of the black edition it appears to be lower or is this just the wheels that make it appear lower?
5ebf62320570c392a708596c8178de4d.jpg
0591c81ae26f732b93601f0dcbd46921.jpg

Bigger wheels and smaller tyres will make the car look lower

Bigger wheels and smaller tyres will make the car look lower
I think itll have to be 20" wheels, the 18s just look too small and I'm not sure 19s will have enough of an impact.

The black edition ones I have ate basically a 20" version of the rs6

These are the wheels I was talking about. Have you got a photo of your wheels close up like this on your car?
3afa5c82b25bcd95a2d5425845e3ee8a.jpg

I believe the S-Lines are lowered by 20mm and the Blackline a further 10mm?

To be honest I had 21" originally and hated the ride, the dealer had the same wheels but in 19's and when he put them they looked just as good, although there's obviously more rubber they fill the arches just as nice on my Blackline.

21's:
A7a

19's:
A7b

I admit the 21's have a bit more presence but I couldnt live with them for more than a few days without air suspension.

I didn't realise the black edition was lowered a further 10mm. So if I was to get lowering springs what would give me this 30mm over all look? Ebach or h&r? I don't want the ride to be too harsh but I think it's more the practibility I don't want to find I'm scraping my front bumper going into multi story car parks or pulling up to a curb.

I do like your car with the 21s but I would only going as big as 20 if I'm honest anyway. The 19s don't look too bad either but i think i want 20s

i think you could opt for sline sport suspension on the sline or black edition and this lowered it by 10mm

mine is standard - i find the ride on 20s with 35 profile tyres fine

i think you could opt for sline sport suspension on the sline or black edition and this lowered it by 10mm

mine is standard - i find the ride on 20s with 35 profile tyres fine
What 10mm over all or 30mm over a standard a6?

That's good to know. I think that what I'll be going for but I don't want them to make it look too tall

I think just 10mm if you go for a bigger wheel with smaller tyre the ride height won't change

20s on lowered suspension is the absolute max I'd say, the 21's made my wife feel sick after only 15 mins in to the test drive saying it felt like her brains going to rattle out of her head and I wasn't even going over rough or pothole roads (that's when the dealer mentioned the 19s and asked me to test drive again when they were fitted). I didn't feel it as bad as the driver but was definitely quite crashy at times.

I remember reading somewhere before buying (might have been Honest Johns) about a sun roof smashing because of hitting a pothole on lowered 21s sending a shock through the car and that costing 5k to replace :|

I just can't imagine shocks like that are worth sending through your body.

Hope you enjoy what ever you end up with :D

i've had SEs as loan cars and don't notice much difference, all audis are a hard ride

i spend most of my life on the motorway, so it doesn't bother me much

That's what I used to do alot of. Motorway driving. Now my usual route is mainly smooth roads anyway but I do remember times thinking I wish the ride was smoother then this.

I'm overall very happy with the ride but when I stick 20s on I don't want to have s huge gap in the arches. I might find once iv replaced them that I'm fine with what gap I have and I don't need to lower it.

Last edited: