Hex-USB-Can Lead.

terrymcg

Reaction score
Due to my immenent move away from Audi, I have up for grabs a Hex-USB-Can lead that will work on all A3's right up to the newest ones out. It will let you access every single module in your car. So great for changing settings or installing Sat Nav, Bluetooth etc.

Just thought I would let you guys know before it goes in the classifieds and later onto e bay if nobody is after it!

Terry

terrymcg said:
Due to my immenent move away from Audi, I have up for grabs a Hex-USB-Can lead that will work on all A3's right up to the newest ones out. It will let you access every single module in your car. So great for changing settings or installing Sat Nav, Bluetooth etc.

Just thought I would let you guys know before it goes in the classifieds and later onto e bay if nobody is after it!

Terry

still available? and if so, what's the asking price?

VAGCOM is the software, you also need the correct cable to connect your PC to your car which is what Terry was seling/has sold.

Ditto mate, I'm interested if any of the above offers fall through

Still got this last one, Will be going away for a week on tuesday, so if anyone wants it give me a shout!

I don't like doing this, but feel I have to warn people, that the leads Terry is selling are not genuine Ross-Tech leads and as such only work with the one specific version of the VAGCOM software supplied with them. I tried one some while back and had several problems with it. Terry was fine about it and I got a full refund, but he hadn't made it clear that they were not genuine leads. Sorry Terry, but people have a right to know what they are getting. I have since got a genuine lead which has worked perfectly and will work will any future software upgrades.

I don't like doing this, but feel I have to warn people, that the leads Terry is selling are not genuine Ross-Tech leads and as such only work with the one specific version of the VAGCOM software supplied with them. I tried one some while back and had several problems with it. Terry was fine about it and I got a full refund, but he hadn't made it clear that they were not genuine leads. Sorry Terry, but people have a right to know what they are getting. I have since got a genuine lead which has worked perfectly and will work will any future software upgrades.

I have to pick you up on that... I bought my first lead from Terry and it was clearly explained that it was not the real deal and would only work with a particular version of the software. All I wanted to do was hook up my RNS-e so I wasn't too concerned about it not running the latest version of the software and having all the bells and whistles. The lead Terry provided worked without any problems. Perhaps you got a dud lead.

While Ross-Tech frown upon the sale of third party leads they do provide a legacy copy of the software for use on these.

The way I see it I wouldn't have forked out the 350 dollars for the lead on day one because I didn't think I'd get the use of it. However, having used the lead for a number of months I decided that I had got enough use out of it that I should buy the genuine one and make a contribution to fund the work Ross-Tech do.

As long as people understand what it is that they are buying, I don't think there's any reason for the above comments.

As long as people understand what it is that they are buying, I don't think there's any reason for the above comments.

That is exactly why I posted. Just to make sure people were aware of what they were buying as it is not mentioned anywhere in the thread.

Terry is a good guy and, as I said, refunded me in full with no quibble, when mine turned out to be faulty.

Some people might have thought he was selling a genuine Ross-Tech lead, and be disappointed to find it wasn't. Damned if I say something, damned if I don't I guess.

Geoff,

I appreciate you are trying do do the right thing, and I am not bothered at what you have written.

I have never said they are Ross Tech leads, and I am always upfront with it. I really have no idea why the two leads you had are the only ones ever gone faulty. But Ross Tech are not the only manufacturer of these leads and as Marc says they openly say on thier site you can make your own leads. God only knows why they charge so much, but then again I don't write software!!

I can just get working leads at a more affordable DIY'ers price! Which I am sure other people are more than happy to use as they have the same functions as the Ross Tech ones at double the price, the only downside if you see it as one is they will only run the 704 software.

Thanks for your input Marc!!

Terry

I bought a lead from Ebay and it worked fine until the program updated itself on the internet and after that it wouldnt' work, the seller gave me a refund as he didn't mention that it will be damaged if its updated via the internet.

I have got a genuine one now for £200 odd quid, got so much use out of it sorting out problems etc on the various cars, never looked back on paying £200+ for the pukka version as you get all the updates etc.

If you don't have £200+ spare to spend on a lead then i would reccommend you get one off Geoff as this piece of kit is well worth the money but just be careful about letting the software do its internet update.

ah ****, i meant Terry.....................

its been a long day.

i'll get my coat.

Just to add something to the thread. When I first got my micro-can lead from Ross-Tech I used the latest version of vag.com but there were certain modules that the label file did not have any infomation on. I emailed Ross-Tech and they said to try the VCDS Beta and all was there.

Anyone with a MY08+ A3/S3 you will not be able to access every module on your car unless you use VCDS. Which these cables cannot do.

(just in case anyone doesn't know, VCDS is the new software to replace vag.com. They had to change the name as they couldn't register vag.com. But VCDS is more comprehensive than vag.com as I have highlighted above)