Hesitation!!!!

Jones.RS3

Reaction score
Hi guys. Anyone know what this issue could be?

I have a 7 speed DQ381 but it's been very hesitant lately. Not sure if it could be engine related or gearbox related.

Feels as though something is binding on. I set off in gear 1 and feels as though it almost slips into gear 2. Changes very slowly. Also when I'm changing between gears, soon as the revs drop it feels as though the car is trying to slow as though it's binding but seems okay past 3k revs. Car also seems to jerk about on steady throttle around low revs too. Also when stuck in standstill traffic sitting in gear 1 or 2, soon as I let off throttle sitting at 5-10mph, car wants to drastically slow down to the point it gets to the DSG rolling pace where it moves itself. It's quite dangerous tbh in traffic. I try to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it in gear 2 otherwise if I let off and it drops to 1st gear itself, it feels like its braking again. Only been like this since having a map ages ago but not getting box mapped. Standard map on now though.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Maybe clutch packs? Mechatronic? Engine damage?

I've always found on my pfl that engine braking is very strong on these engines and gearboxes. However mine rarely wants to drop to 1st unless almost stopping. Unfortunately I have no idea why you suddenly have the symptoms you have however

Reactions: Jones.RS3
I've always found on my pfl that engine braking is very strong on these engines and gearboxes. However mine rarely wants to drop to 1st unless almost stopping. Unfortunately I have no idea why you suddenly have the symptoms you have however
Yeah, its awful. It's even worse when it's cold. It feels like the car is sort of bucking back and forth gently even though my foot is in same position on the throttle. Gear changes are also a little harsh. Been tempted just the throw the towel in and get rid of the car but be a shame as love my car haha

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Is it mapped @Jones.S3 ?
It was. Not anymore though, standard software but it's ever since it was mapped the first time. When it was mapped, gear changes were so harsh. It wouldn't be a month change, it would be really hard. That was even when gearbox was mapped also. First map I had since the issues occured didn't have a gearbox map on.

I think that my be your problem pal. You love wrecking cars like hahaha.

Well you knacked the golf haha. If you can get hold of a new box and try it then see how it goes. Chances are that the clutch plates a gone from launching and poor mapping.

Where were the maps done ?

Well you knacked the golf haha. If you can get hold of a new box and try it then see how it goes. Chances are that the clutch plates a gone from launching and poor mapping.

Where were the maps done ?

Tbh, I never launch the car for that reason haha. May have just had too much torque for the box. Was a cheap map first time. Second map was MRC.

The box can handle the torque mate probably that the box wasn’t mapped to start with and done the clutches in.

The box can handle the torque mate probably that the box wasn’t mapped to start with and done the clutches in.
Aye that's what I mean. Think the map without the gearbox mapped ruined the clutches.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Should of got a manual pal haha.
Couldn't get manual on the facelift when I got it. They started production with S-Tronic and manual but by time I got one, they only did S-Tronic haha. Glad I also got one before WLTP

Reactions: MikeParkin