Hesitation on undulating road

the_ace1982

Reaction score
I have noticed a hesitation from the engine in my B8 allroad 2.0tdi whenever I come up a hill and then start to descent again any ideas what could be causing this?

That's quite difficult to answer without knowing more details. Is it a drop in power, fluctuating revs, manual or auto box. Do you have access to VCDS to scan?

My a3 used to do this, only thing I could think it could be was the 4 wheel drive system switching between wheels when it was unweighted

My a3 used to do this, only thing I could think it could be was the 4 wheel drive system switching between wheels when it was unweighted
The A3 uses Haldex system so primarily front wheel drive and rear wheels engage if it loses grip. Allroad is permanent 4-wheel drive.

Thanks for quick replies its a drop in power, happens every time I go over a hill near me its the only place I notice the issue. Manual box, no vcds but i'll find someone local with it for a scan

Reactions: spartacus68
I have noticed a hesitation from the engine in my B8 allroad 2.0tdi whenever I come up a hill and then start to descent again any ideas what could be causing this?
here are some common reasons for engine hesitation that you may want to consider:

1. Turbocharger Issues:
    • Problems with the turbocharger, such as a boost leak or malfunction, can lead to hesitation, especially during changes in load like going up and down hills.
  2. Fuel System Problems:
    • Issues with the fuel system, such as clogged fuel injectors or a faulty fuel pressure regulator, may affect fuel delivery and cause hesitation.
  3. Air Intake Issues:
    • Restrictions or issues in the air intake system can impact airflow to the engine, leading to hesitation.
  4. Exhaust System Concerns:
    • Problems with the exhaust system, like a clogged catalytic converter, could affect engine performance.
  5. EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System:
    • If the EGR system is not functioning correctly, it may impact engine response during certain driving conditions.
  6. Transmission Issues:
    • Problems with the transmission, such as slipping or delayed shifts, can cause hesitation.
  7. Sensor Malfunction:
    • Malfunctioning sensors, such as the mass airflow sensor or throttle position sensor, can impact engine performance.