1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitation, jerking and rough idle

allan mc Jun 10, 2018

1. allan mc

allan mc Member

Been looking about on here as ive developed these problems, seemed to all point to a maf problem, disconnected the maf and it ran sweet, bought a new one and fitted it, all ran well for a few days then slowly started to get worse, some days its fine but some if you hold the revs while driving it starts to judder slightly and sometimes while accelerating it seems to hesitate below 3k revs where it seems to be low on power aswell till it starts to boost

Any ideas where to go from here, ive no access to any diagnostic machines so struggling a bit

Car is standard apart from remap

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Could be an air leak...Any fault codes?...

Is the MAF a genuine Bosch one?

<tuffty/>

allan mc likes this.
  4. allan mc

allan mc Member

The maf was from audi same part number so assume it was bosch im not sure on codes as ive not got a code reader

It drives smoother when i disconnected it which made ne think that's what it was after reading similar problems on here

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Sounds like a leak... smoke test would confirm but you can do the usual checks... all the pipes under the inlet manifold are subject to splits etc... the 'V' shaped hose on the end of the inlet splits inside the V...

Smoke test will reveal stuff like this...

<tuffty/>

6. allan mc

allan mc Member

Im assuming a garage would have to do the smoke test as i have no idea on how to do it, i willhave a good look around at the pipes

Thanks for the replies

7. allan mc

allan mc Member

Hi, ive been under the bonnet shouting swearing and nipping up a few things, car is still the same, had no boost at allthe other day, somedays its great some its real bad, still getting spluttering when holding revs and whem coming off the gas

Also noticed that it has started to sound like i have one of these loud aftermarket dump valves that make the loud hissing noise when i release off the accelerator yet i dont have one lol, could this all be down to a kanckered divert valve as ive read about?

Any idea of what a genuine audi one would cost, it looks like it's the one from factory as it has those spring clips and not jubilee clips, im just trying ti figure it out myself before paying anyone to look at it thanks, definitely seems to be getting worse

8. S3AMJ

S3AMJ OEM+ Team Brilliant Black Audi S3

Part number for DV - 06A 145 710P

They vary in price £35-55 don’t go for a cheap one off eBay.

Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere.

9. allan mc

allan mc Member

I will be getting it from audi themselves so hopefully will be a decent one, could a knackered diverter valve cause these problems?

I suppose with 110k on the original one it wont hurt to change, ive read a newer one is also uprated?

10. S3AMJ

S3AMJ OEM+ Team Brilliant Black Audi S3

Original was 710N and the updated version is 710P supposibly better. I did read a thread once regarding this. Order from Audi, intact use the parts request on here! There really good and quick to help out. Usually cheaper to than ordering from your local dealer.

11. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

TPS has worked out cheaper for me every time

S3AMJ likes this.