Hesitation accelerating 2.0tdi 170 quattro

pi quattro

Reaction score
Hi any pointers would be welcome and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My car seems to hesitate a bit when accelerating gently sometimes. When I push pedal hard it doesn't bother it at all, only when pootling along keeping up with traffic. (pressing pedal lightly) Seems to be happening around 1800-2000 revs. It feels as if there may be a blocked fuel line/filter.

Fuel filter replace at last service, (very recent) dealer ran fault code but found nothing. Getting concerned as warranty runs out in a few weeks!!

Trying to tie it up with other circumstances, and it may be linked to the Dpf. It was doing it today and when stationary at lights the engine revved higher than normal(1000) the Dpf light came on a bit later too.

Hesitation seems to have gone after the light went out(filter regenerated?) but maybe coincidence
:think:

Also any clues how to clean a bit of grit from behind accelerator pedal? A stone got stuck there a few days ago and tried the dyson, but still stuck. I can't see how to "unhook" the pedal. Seems like the grit it at the bottom near the hinge.
P.s. The hesitation isn't caused by the grit! This only happened the other day

Cheers

My car does this..
I had it AMD Mapped and its does it just before the Turbo kicks in around 1800-2000..
A kind of... Whoa nelly ECU senses a big surge coming any minute.. hold off, hold off... now back in...
Right annoying...

My car does this..
I had it AMD Mapped and its does it just before the Turbo kicks in around 1800-2000..
A kind of... Whoa nelly ECU senses a big surge coming any minute.. hold off, hold off... now back in...
Right annoying...

Thanks indie but my engines not remapped
Its not at all like a big pause and waiting around before a surge, more of a... hesitation! It's only a small blip when just dabbing the pedal to keep up with traffic

My car does this..
Right annoying...

That's to do with the map itself. When I had mine done, I had exactly the same problem. It was like a dog pulling on a leash in 2nd and 3rd. I rang the company that did mine and they said that they were aware of the problem (it was when the 170 was fairly new so they were still developing the map). They re-called the car, done a few tweaks to the map and it's been fine since. It only does it very rarely now, where as before it was all the time pretty much.

That's to do with the map itself. When I had mine done, I had exactly the same problem. It was like a dog pulling on a leash in 2nd and 3rd. I rang the company that did mine and they said that they were aware of the problem (it was when the 170 was fairly new so they were still developing the map). They re-called the car, done a few tweaks to the map and it's been fine since. It only does it very rarely now, where as before it was all the time pretty much.

Know what you mean, its not ALL the time but often whan in slow moving traffic..
Think I'm goint to bite the bullit and get a Blufin sorted..

Hi, I've got a new A3 170 (CR) which did the same thing and i cured it by putting one of the italianspeed boxes on it off ebay. this isnt cranked up to maximum just enough to iron out the flat spot when crawling in heavy traffic

Sorry to bring this thread up but i seem to have the same issue. I've currently have the dpf in place and managed to remove the warning light by driving couple of miles holding the rev between 2k - 3k and warning light gone(soon will come on again). So what causes the flat spot between 1800 - 2000 rpm?

I've also noticed this about the car and happens very rarely, when am stuck in traffic or parked up the car shakes for a while likes its doing sumthing and then boom its fine?:wtf:

My car seems to hesitate a bit when accelerating gently sometimes. When I push pedal hard it doesn't bother it at all, only when pootling along keeping up with traffic. (pressing pedal lightly) Seems to be happening around 1800-2000 revs. It feels as if there may be a blocked fuel line/filter.

Mine does the exact same thing, my previous A3 which had the 1.9 engine didn't, so it must be an issue related to the 2.0Tdi.

At first i thought it was me the way am driving the car. sulzer_mike does your car feel like the power gets stuck for a split second? Does your car shake for a couple of seconds on idle? It only seems to happen now and again when the cars stationary.

Does your car shake for a couple of seconds on idle? It only seems to happen now and again when the cars stationary.

Yes, every now and then it does shake. It feels as if the revs have dipped down to a level where the engine is just about to stall, then it recovers and is fine again. Incidentally mine was in for a major service yesterday and the air filter and fuel filter was changed. It feels significantly quicker now, and as of yet, I have not had any issues with shakes or hesitation between 1800/2000 revs.

Guys, is this an issue relating only to the 170 Quattros?, the reason I ask is that I too used to have a 57 plate 170 Quattro and I was so disappointed with the performance / hesitation of it (32k miles), I have since bought an 09 170 tdi (2WD) and the difference is night and day!, I know the 4WD will have an effect on performance but didn't think so much?

Last edited:
Mines the 2006 tdi 170pd fwd. I just dont understand why the car shakes now and again and the flat spot. I'll give the fuel filter a change

I did notice the car only jerks once for a split moment between 1800 - 2000 revs and then its fine...Maybe it happens when the engine is cold?

has it got a vnt turbo? are the veins sticking slightly?

vnt turbo? How do i find that out(sorry if am being dumb)

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread but i spotted that K9Audi had the exact problem i've just resolved.

The juddering on idle.. is it usually accompanied by slightly higher revs (1k) If so its the DPF doing a passive regeneration.

Assuming you are doing a couple of long trips it could be that your DPF has issues or is on its way out.

This Audi A3 DPF Issues (Case Study) | DPF Issues describes the crap that i went thought with mine, basically a 2nd hand DPF had been welded on.

Be worth getting it up on a ramp and checking visually yourself and considering a DPF removal.. not cheap though :-/

Mine does this and it's had dpf out remapped n new turbo apparently it's my dual mass flywheel??

Guys, is this an issue relating only to the 170 Quattros?, the reason I ask is that I too used to have a 57 plate 170 Quattro and I was so disappointed with the performance / hesitation of it (32k miles), I have since bought an 09 170 tdi (2WD) and the difference is night and day!, I know the 4WD will have an effect on performance but didn't think so much?

I have a 2009 170 Quattro & I have no issues with hesitation during take off in all gears, it's standard & has done 117k milage. I've read that it is slightly slower at take off than the FWD due to the weight of the haldex but shouldn't be much difference as the 0-60 time is the same.

Mine is a 53k 2007 quattro a3 tdi 2.0, it's also doing this after I've just had new engine, clutch, dpf removal and remap, car has been back in garage a week now trying to work it out. Despite having paid out over 5k already they are leaving towards a new turbo, forcing me to investigate myself, where I read interesting things about the wastegate after a remap, but I also suspect the map.

Read my thread if you are interested in how I came to need a new engine on a fash 53k car.