Help!

gnic13

Audi S3 8V
Reaction score
S3 8v 25k miles : About 1 mile from home I heard a ‘Pop’ and by time I got home there was a lot of oil all over the bottom of engine bay and was leaking heavily. It’s not engine oil and is clear and odourless. My guess was power steering but that’s fine, when I went to drive car just off the drive it gave a strange clunk under my feet so I just put it back into my garage. Any ideas or similar experiences? Thanks in advance

S3 8v 25k miles : About 1 mile from home I heard a ‘Pop’ and by time I got home there was a lot of oil all over the bottom of engine bay and was leaking heavily. It’s not engine oil and is clear and odourless. My guess was power steering but that’s fine, when I went to drive car just off the drive it gave a strange clunk under my feet so I just put it back into my garage. Any ideas or similar experiences? Thanks in advance

That doesn’t sound good , gearbox maybe ? Surely with that mileage you’re under warranty ? Is your S3 stock / non modified ?

I’d be straight on to the dealership.

That doesn’t sound good , gearbox maybe ? Surely with that mileage you’re under warranty ? Is your S3 stock / non modified ?

I’d be straight on to the dealership.
Hi, thanks for your reply!
It’s totally stock but 17 plate , I got 2 year extended warranty but that expired this time last year.. I only do circa 400 miles per month!

Hi, thanks for your reply!
It’s totally stock but 17 plate , I got 2 year extended warranty but that expired this time last year.. I only do circa 400 miles per month!

Strange, I’ve just bought a 17 plate S3 and approved used , 12 month warranty. Assumed warranty was 5 years : 60k miles.

Get it to a mechanic pronto mate on a flat bed truck. Hope it’s nothing serious ie: just a blown hose etc

Strange, I’ve just bought a 17 plate S3 and approved used , 12 month warranty. Assumed warranty was 5 years : 60k miles.

Get it to a mechanic pronto mate on a flat bed truck. Hope it’s nothing serious ie: just a blown hose etc
Here’s hoping 5years or 60k miles but I’ll not hold my breath !!

Guessing you haven’t thrashed the car too much , launches ?

Any warning lights on the DIS ? Do you have an OBD dongle you could plug in ? Might show up some fault codes ……

Any warning lights on the DIS ? Do you have an OBD dongle you could plug in ? Might show up some fault codes ……
No, no warning lights or anything showing up! This is my 5th S3 and I’ve never had any issues with any of them to date either…

Sure sounds odd . The “pop” sound you heard does make me wonder if a hose has blown , can you get under the car for a look ?

Maybe a daft question but you sure you didn’t drive over something that popped and spattered the bottom of the engine bay ?
The clunk could be a coincidence aAnythi g serious you’d imagine a warning light on the dash ……

Did you manage to shed any light on the issue with your S3 mate ?

Reactions: gnic13
This seems to be the source.. Just below the prop shaft it looks like a plate or similar missing and a seal etc is visable right where the leak started … Anyone know what this is ?! Car gets picked up tomorrow to go to the garage..

Attachments

• 14153671-1C1E-4E5A-B999-50A1F6BFF89C.png
    14153671-1C1E-4E5A-B999-50A1F6BFF89C.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 150
Complete wrong spy above - Diff went and has punctured the gearbox - New gearbox required Worst possible outcome …

• Sad
Reactions: DrMal
Ouch that really isn’t a good outcome mate, anything further on a warranty claim ? At that mileage diff shouldn’t be failing !

Ouch that really isn’t a good outcome mate, anything further on a warranty claim ? At that mileage diff shouldn’t be failing !
Car just turning 5 years old but completely agree .. My 5th S3 so I’m hoping I get somewhere with Audi ‍♂️

Reactions: Scotty75
That’s really bad mate - sorry to hear

Do you mean the transfer/bevel box at the front as opposed to the diff at the back?

With that low mileage & the fact it had oil, it might be worth investigating a manufacturing defect - though that would add to the cost if it didn’t show anything.

Second transfer box failure I have heard in the last couple of months :S

Did you ever get your haldex serviced? Maybe pump was too gunked up in 25k or it not circulating enough resulting in said gunk congealing :S

I got it diagnosed by a local garage to me but has to go into Audi to be re-diagnosed to attempt to get any good will from Audi uk .. Not holding my breath Thanks for all replies tho!

Keep us posted mate , be interested to know how it ends up for you. As said , at the age and mileage of your vehicle Audi should take some ownership here.

So, these were the parts that the mechanic found on the tray below the gearbox .. Been quoted £7k for Audi to repair and currently in a battle with Audi Uk to take some form of ownership.. My local Audi dealership not really giving any assistance even though I was lining up my 5th S3 from them!

Attachments

• 518C29F6-FA7D-4290-8957-502CAD5EF78F.jpeg
    518C29F6-FA7D-4290-8957-502CAD5EF78F.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 112
  • E2E3BAC0-6DF8-4242-A812-9601C0D1CB47.jpeg
    E2E3BAC0-6DF8-4242-A812-9601C0D1CB47.jpeg
    947.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Harvey and Jcbmally
Hope Audi come through for you mate.

I believe this was a DSG gearbox fault that is now the subject of a campaign check on 66, 17 and 67 plate S3.
A bolt on an internal pressure pump comes loose and can fall out resulting in the above.
I had mine checked recently and they change the software which will trigger a fault code if there is a problem after a short test drive, luckily mine is fine.
Audi will repair or replace the box foc if there is a problem and the car hasn’t been modified.