HELP!!!!!

DolbyS3

Reaction score
Driving car to a meeting and all of a sudden lost 90% of power and HUUUUGE clouds of white smoke out the back! Stopped the car and it will start with dabs of throttle but sounds like a heap of Sh!@t and idle is increidbly lumpy! I'm asssuming turbo but could anyone shed any light? Its an S3 by the way.

Thanks

Check intake piping hasn't come unseated.

Check intake piping hasn't come unseated.
thanks so much for the reply, I am a complete novice and wouldnt know how to do that, is there an easy way to check?

Check for any big pipes in the bay & under that may have come loose.

I should also mention there was absolutely no smoke from under the bonnet, just out the exhausts.

Check for any big pipes in the bay & under that may have come loose.
Ive just checked and cant see anything but as I say i wouldnt have a clue what I'm looking for anyway. Does it sound turbo related? and if so could it have done further damage, the car was only driven for around 1 mile after it went. There was also no issue before this, it literally just went bang without any prior warning signs.

Don't think I'd trust driving it any further and would get Audi Assist involved.

no definitely petrol. just prayng its a hose not the turbo, I suppose it will be a good test for anyone wondering about TD1's :frown:!

Had a Turbo blow once on a Works Car.
There was a little "pop" sound and then absolute shedloads of white smoke out the back.

All I could do was coast over to the hard shoulder and then it was tow trucked away.
As it was a Works Car I never saw it again, although heard it had been scrapped.

Car was a few years old though and had high miles on it.
Hopefully, yours will be something more straight-forward.

...and is this why you mentioned TD1? How many miles have you done?
Yup! And only had it mapped about 3 weeks ago. Going to speak to the tuner today and see what my options are. I knew the risks when I did the map just never imagined it would go bang after less than a thousand miles!

Right, update. My mechanic has taken her apart and the turbo is shot but the blades are all still within the housing and the compression tests on the cylinders all came back positive so fingers crossed the engine has survived. I think I am now going to look down the TTE 450 route as the cost of a stanadrd unit from Audi is rather expensive from what I hear and my warranty is void anyway!

Stories like this make me worry about getting a map, who did the tune?

^ And me to be honest. ^

I know there are going to be loads of people stating that they are perfectly safe and have never had any problems, but the doubter in me thinks that Audi (the same as any manufacturer) would put the minimum spec required to be able to do the job at hand. Why would they put a more expensive turbo in a car that can easily handle more boost than needed when it isnt required or cost effective. If it costs X amount for an engine and turbo combo that will provide 300hp reliably (mostly) why put one in that can run 360-400 reliably which costs them more money? The amount it would cost for the warranty of the failures they have running minimum spec would surely be less than putting better stuff in 'just in case'. Just thinking out loud and could be talking complete crap and is obviously of no help to the OP at all. :(

Reactions: azibux1 and steeve
Stories like this make me worry about getting a map, who did the tune?
Tune was APR stage 1 done by AMD in Essex, I'm not saying for a second that the map caused the failure as there is no way to prove that and it would be unfair of me to claim that but the car run faultlessly for 11000 miles and then less than 1000 miles after the map was installed the turbo fails. All I can do is put it down to pure bad luck, swallow the repair bill and move on! Having had this experience now I absolutely would not map another car under warranty, I did know the risks but took the "well it will never happen to me" attitude and it's backfired, lesson well and truly learned!

Hi - bad luck :-(

Have Audi stated you are not covered under warranty for this or have you assumed it?

Hi - bad luck :-(

Have Audi stated you are not covered under warranty for this or have you assumed it?
I have just assumed that as my car is mapped that Audi would void my warranty.

I would at least try Audio warranty. Nothing to lose...

The problem is I have no way of getting the map taken off as the car is competely undriveable and AMD are about an hour away from me. If I could get it reverted to stock then I would try the Audi route.

The problem is I have no way of getting the map taken off as the car is competely undriveable and AMD are about an hour away from me. If I could get it reverted to stock then I would try the Audi route.

Just out of curiosity when when was your car manufactured? Have you considered maybe getting it towed? I'm sure the cost of towing it to the APR dealer would cost less than a turbo. I've heard of people flashing back to stock with the APR tune after blowing their turbo and the warranty covered the new turbo.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
You're remarkably chipper about this! A good attitude to have.
To be honest Im just disapointed in myself for being so naive, at the end of the day its going to cost me some money to repair but I'll just have to take that on the chin. I'm just thankful it was me in the car and not my wife and son as I dont think I could forgive myself if it had happened to them! And if nothing else it might make somone else think twie and save some heartache.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, JohnM100 and Rob2k68
Just out of curiosity when when was your car manufactured? Have you considered maybe getting it towed? I'm sure the cost of towing it to the APR dealer would cost less than a turbo. I've heard of people flashing back to stock with the APR tune after blowing their turbo and the warranty covered the new turbo.

Thats intersting to hear! I had assumed that Audi would immediately detect the map had been on there and refuse the repair! Thanks!

Thats intersting to hear! I had assumed that Audi would immediately detect the map had been on there and refuse the repair! Thanks!

You've got nothing to lose by trying that. If you're turbo was destined to blow, all the APR tune did was make it blow earlier. To flash the APR software it tells you in the disclaimer about the fact that the turbo's are having issues. That's why I'm interested to know when you're car was produced. Morally it is wrong to flash your car and try claim from warranty but I guess if the turbo was gonna blow anyway then there's nothing wrong with it. Just in case anyone is wondering here is part of the disclaimer you need to accept before flashing the APR stage 1 tune.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-22-19-14-41.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-22-19-14-41.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 267
What age and plate is your car? And when was it built? I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say it's an early 2014 built car on a 14 plate.

You've got nothing to lose by trying that. If you're turbo was destined to blow, all the APR tune did was make it blow earlier. To flash the APR software it tells you in the disclaimer about the fact that the turbo's are having issues. That's why I'm interested to know when you're car was produced. Morally it is wrong to flash your car and try claim from warranty but I guess if the turbo was gonna blow anyway then there's nothing wrong with it. Just in case anyone is wondering here is part of the disclaimer you need to accept before flashing the APR stage 1 tune.
Yep you're completely right and it's why I am not complaining at all about APR, they made the risks known and I accepted them. The car was an April 2014. I've got nothing to lose so may as well try!

Yeah thought so. There was a batch of gen 3 EA888 Engines that were prone to turbo failures, all built from the beginning of the year to about build week 8/9.

As mentioned above, your turbo was a time bomb waiting to go pop, the remap just made it go pop sooner!

I wouldnt tell Audi it's been modified. Just go and get it booked in and see how it goes. You have nothing to lose.

As above. I'd get AMD to flash it back to standard though, at least then you'll have a chance of them not detecting it!

Hi. I would contact AMD. Explain them everything and that you know it's not their fault. At the end ask them if there is any chance to get someone to come in to you and flash it back at your premises. It might be cheaper than taking car over to them.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and batch
I agree. I'd definitely get the remap taken off and the car into Audi first. TTE would be my back up plan.

Good luck with it :)

Hi. I would contact AMD. Explain them everything and that you know it's not their fault. At the end ask them if there is any chance to get someone to come in to you and flash it back at your premises. It might be cheaper than taking car over to them.
Yeah I've asked them that and said I was willing to pay for their time etc but they said it's not something they were willing to do so my only option if I want the map removed is to get the car to them some how.

I don't know much about mapping but you might have one more option. You could ask them if you could have your stock map back. On a pen drive or DVD. Then try to find somebody who could put it back in. I would probably start from looking for someone who knows more about mapping and ask them what would you need to get your stock map back.

Yeah I've asked them that and said I was willing to pay for their time etc but they said it's not something they were willing to do so my only option if I want the map removed is to get the car to them some how.
Why don't you consider paying for it to get towed? APR has a 30 day money back guarantee so if it is still within 30 days I would ask for a refund when getting it flashed back to stock. I don't see why it is so difficult for them to spend 2 hours driving to help you out especially since you offered to pay them.

Reactions: grchmason and batch
Why don't you consider paying for it to get towed? APR has a 30 day money back guarantee so if it is still within 30 days I would ask for a refund when getting it flashed back to stock. I don't see why it is so difficult for them to spend 2 hours driving to help you out especially since you offered to pay them.