Help with walter leek on a3

adz87

Reaction score
hi, iv gt n a3 but having a few probs, the car dont start (may start after about 20 atempts), tried new batt but no luck, some one sed it could be the earthin in the car any ideas any one? and for some reson water is leekin but dont know where to, it may only last for about 25 min to about 40 min so not long. any one have any ides please :)

hi m8, i would remove and clean all earth points that you can find under the bonnet etc, as this can cause poor starting, they are easy to find, to give you an idea what to look for open the bonnet and look down inside the passenger side wing, there you will find your first earth point, you dont mention were abouts on the car the water leaks from? is it coolant from the engine or an actual leak inside the car? hth

cal

hi, iv gt n a3 but having a few probs, the car dont start (may start after about 20 atempts), tried new batt but no luck, some one sed it could be the earthin in the car any ideas any one? and for some reson water is leekin but dont know where to, it may only last for about 25 min to about 40 min so not long. any one have any ides please :)

Walter who ?

Don't know the guy but I think he must be Welsh !

What year is the car and is the engine code BKD ? If it's coolant you're losing and it's not from the radiator or hoses then it is most likely to be the 'porous head' problem.

When it does start do you get any white smoke from the exhaust ?

53 dnt know code wi out checkin, ye theres white smoke coming from the exhaust.... bluequattro iv messed bout wi the earth points 1 were loose so sorted that out but stil there wer no joy and i have no idea were the water is leekin from i dont know owt bout cars, all i know is i have to keep fullin the coolant up and dont know were it goes to.

Cylinder head is cracked ! Water is getting into the cylinders and causing compression problems which is causing bad starting.

White smoke is water burning off with diesel. If you take the oil cap off you will see a gooey creamy mixture which is water and oil mixed.

I'm afraid the only cure is a new cylinder head ( second hand plus fitting = approx £1,000 )

The only thing you could try, although if it's as bad as you say I doubt it would work, is to get a bottle of K-seal from Halfords or Motorsave ( £10 ) and pour it into the expansion bottle when you top up the coolant again.

Sorry for the gloomy reply but it doesn't look too good.

:applaus: welshy !

ADZ - contact devonmikeyboy on this forum - he has many secondhand BKD cylinder heads and bits !

Or he did have - they may be going fast !!

Thats a shed load of cylinder heads gone now!!!!! Audi will be doing a roaring profit on after sale heads!

Please use the full keyboard and not text speak as we do not charge by the word. I had to get my 11 year old to translate this request, Cheers.

Sadly Mike, when mine went it was double that at Audi! Long story but I was skint at the end of it!!! So I decided not to get that engine again as I was looking at similar age cars.

sounds familar, mines in the stealers at the mo awaiting new head, mines a 2.0tdi quattro on a sept56 plate(65000miles). No signs of leak and no bad starts but losing 200ml of water a week doing short commute to work(30mile max). stealers are wanting £2000 or best part of, but since they diagnosed a cooler leak and i replaced for only£1300 last week. they are looking into a discount---wont be anywhere near enough.

Sorry Sarah - I forgot to mention it but that price was for the part, not including fitting !!!

So it would be at least double I guess !!:crying:

sounds familar, mines in the stealers at the mo awaiting new head, mines a 2.0tdi quattro on a sept56 plate(65000miles). No signs of leak and no bad starts but losing 200ml of water a week doing short commute to work(30mile max). stealers are wanting £2000 or best part of, but since they diagnosed a cooler leak and i replaced for only£1300 last week. they are looking into a discount---wont be anywhere near enough.

Ouch! feel for you, its a long bill at the end when they hand it over!!! mine was pages long!!! Hope it gets sorted though.

Sorry Sarah - I forgot to mention it but that price was for the part, not including fitting !!!

lol, yeah I nearly fainted! To top it off the same car went through 4 turbos and even that was on its way out! Poor quality parts or poor design???? I never worked that one out!

4 Turbos !!!! are you or were you a racing driver ? :think:

:blush: maybe or just a girl racer lol

Plus I had it mapped and the boost was high but they checked it out and argued it was well within limits! Must be the weight of the platforms and heels I wear lol

:blush: maybe or just a girl racer lol

Plus I had it mapped and the boost was high but they checked it out and argued it was well within limits! Must be the weight of the platforms and heels I wear lol

Hells bells - if there's a hubby around I bet he keeps away from the right foot !! You could kick for Salford ( or Sale ) ! lol :icon_thumright:

Hells bells - if there's a hubby around I bet he keeps away from the right foot !! You could kick for Salford ( or Sale ) ! lol :icon_thumright:

lol, nooo im far to small! I just love driving and thats what my cars there for! But must admit I wasnt impressed with the car I used to have, far too many reliability issues but I love Audis so after a Beama came back to Audi.

lol, nooo im far to small! I just love driving and thats what my cars there for! But must admit I wasnt impressed with the car I used to have, far too many reliability issues but I love Audis so after a Beama came back to Audi.

Good for you gal - now can you sort out the guy who has just posted about converting a 2003 to a 2010 !

Can't think of anyone on here who could tell him better, in words of one syllable if necessary, how to do it ( or not !! ) as the case may be. :yes:

Coz audis are allegedly well made m8, and totally reliable
;)

You belive that there is no hope for you....lol, mind you as Mr Angry said the other day " if its not German, its ****"....except when it is German, its usually **** as well :) I still think Audi dealerships should be renamed..."We saw you comming" :lmfao:

About £650 + VAT for the BKD head if I recall correctly.

Do we know what engine this is? Haven't seen it confirmed. Could also be the head gasket.

Whoever it was that said the demographics of ASN had changed recently were bang on the mark by the looks of it...walter leek indeed!

Too right at £1000 + VAT :faint:

Byzan - steady on mate - these days it may be the only way some people know !!! :(
I am sure a car driving aged person is able to speak actual english not txt spk, until a txt spk dictionary is produced engilsh is what we would like used. Cheers

Does it mention anything about capital letters & punctuation :p

I was about 45 minutes ago, took a while but stomach feels better now :p

well now am confused dint wich coment was for me lol, best not be ****** a cracked head cause he can av the ****** car back, if he wil gi me the money back if not court it wil b :)

Quick someone give the Village People a shout, they've lost there Idiot again.

well now am confused dint wich coment was for me lol, best not be ****** a cracked head cause he can av the ****** car back, if he wil gi me the money back if not court it wil b :)

adz87 - Im going to try and help you.

Firstly, I am sorry that your car may have the cylinder head problem that very many cars of that era suffered, but maybe a little bit of research into the vehicle you chose might have proved worthwhile. To say ' he saw you coming ' may not be an understatement !

Secondly, you seem confused about all the comments made on this thread and whether or not they refer to you. I can confirm that all the comments are either to you, about you, or have been provoked by your total inability to express yourself in the English language.

I do not know where you are from or what nationality you are, or indeed what planet you are from but what I do know is that your search for assistance from this forum ( which is exceptionally good for giving assistance ) will never come to fruition if you persist in using what most of us consider to be unacceptable standards of the correct use of English.

I defended you originally by giving you the benefit of the doubt as to your academic understanding of the written word and perhaps the fact that you , possibly, have not had the benefit of satisfactory secondary education.

I can now confirm to you that after the last disgusting outburst, and the use of totally unacceptable foul language on this forum, I made a mistake in defending you.

You are a disgrace, but thanks anyway for giving everyone the opportunity to have some fun at your expense without you actually realising it ! :yes:

Last edited: