HELP WITH TYRES BEFORE THE MISSUS KILLS ME :)

beefrisk

Reaction score
HI ALL

Keep this fairly short and sweet for now but we have a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3ltr Quattro , nice car :p The tyres are a mixture of Pilot 2 on the front and continental sport contact 2 on the back. We got a puncture on the drivers side front this morning and the thread was basically hanging out ( very bad for not checking ! ! ! ) and i have been searching the internet calling money grabbing tyres shops all day ! The question is

What tyres should we go for...... ? ?

Do we go for the really expensive pilots ? or just change the fronts to pilots ? or get a deal on 3 continentals ? Argggggh or are there better cheaper alternatives ? car does not get hammered and is mainly used for local driving. size is 235/40/18

Hope people can help and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before :)

Cheers all

I recently purchased Dunlop sp 9000 (235/40/18) for £135 each.

Check out camskill for cheap tyres but you will have to get them fitted locally.

Last Spring (2009) I was just about to place an order with www.BlackCircles.com who seemed to be the cheapest by far, by chance checked Kwik-Fit who were always significantly dearer by £100+ and surprisingly were marginally cheaper by ~£10 for 4 Continental Contact Sport 3 (235/44Y17), AND Laser tracking check was around £27 if you ordered it at the same time BUT you had to order and pay at the Kwik-Fit website, so all on-line. Not sure if they have the same offers on now.
The tracking was marginally off, (inside wear on front tyres), so this was all sorted at the same time.

Not sure where your based - but my brothers (live near Reading) swear by Bracknell Tyres as the all-time cheapest of all tyre suppliers - they are running Focus ST & Mondeo ST220 on 18".

even if you get three new ones, you'll have one that'll be way out on tread-depth.... with Quattro - I've always kept all four on the same tyres, I figure if I nail it out of a corner and the car starts to break traction, I want all four to react the same.... what's on the spare? how about putting the one remaining "okay" Conti on the spare and getting 4 x new tyres?

if you're looking at starting a "new trend" i.e. what you're trying to get all four on in the next year or so.... then I could highly recommend Toyo Proxes T1-R's - absolutely fantastic for all summer / wet weather, especially with regards to predictable behaviour and hard braking in the wet. Traction in the ice is as good as most summer tyres are on ice (very decent accelleration, moderate direction control and very limited braking).

Toyo Proxes T1-R's 235/40/18 were £130 per corner incl fitting from TyreExpress.com - NOT that I'd recommend blindly going with them!

Even if you're not after these specific tyres, after a bad experience in the past, I'd now recommend this approach: find some prices online (blackcircles, tyreexpress, camskill, etc) and then try to get a local supplier (that you trust to fit and balance the tyres safely) to price-match the prices you can get online.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies peeps , I have spoken to the local quick fit and he would do me 3 continental contact sport 3 to match in with the new rear one for £600 ! ! ! ! I then had a little barter with him and he said get the Pirelli P zero Rossos for £153 each on the interweb making it £490 fitted for the 3 and he will just swap over the order over to the Continentals ! I think that's a result ! ! ! off to ask the missus for permission and then get them sorted today.
Cheers all

Last edited:
ah nuts ! never mind all done now and the missus paid :)

Shhh dont tell her !