Help with tyre sizes for staggered wheels!!

Tom Mineral Grey S3

Reaction score
Hey,

I own a 2001 S3 and am in the process of buying a set of staggered BBS challenges. The fronts are 18 x 8 and the rears 18x9.

Previously i was getting a set which were all 18 x 8.5 and had worked out that the size tyre i needed for them would have been 215/35/18 for the streched look i am after.(dont want massive strechin but just enough to pull the sidewall in a bit).

With the staggered sizes i am now getting i was thinking of 205/35/18 for the 8" wides on the front, and 225/35/18 for the 9" wides on the rears.

Can anyone shed any light on the size tyre i will need and hopefully pics of the tyres on the rims so i can judge what they look like on the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,:icon_thumright:

Cheers
Tom
:greyrs4:

Can't really help you with tyres sizes as such, since you are going for the narrow tyre look on your car, but I suggest you do some calculations to make the rolling radius the same(or near) between the front and rear axles. I would have thought a 40 profile for the fronts would be a better to match the 35's of the rear with your tyre width choices.

Maybe a look on this site might help? www.tyrestretch.com

Cheers for the info,
Had a quick look at the website but still none the wiser lol, at work at the min so will have a good look when i get home.
Didnt even realise about the rolling radius needing to be similar, sorry to be a pain but can you expand a bit on what issues i may face with different size tyres.
Thanks

If you want to run stretched tyres using a 35 profile your offset and height of the car are going to have to be perfect or it may look silly, running standard suspension and having the set up your after wouldn't look right.
If you really want to do it though i'd go for 215 40 18 front, 225 40 18 rear

Cheers for the info,
Had a quick look at the website but still none the wiser lol, at work at the min so will have a good look when i get home.
Didnt even realise about the rolling radius needing to be similar, sorry to be a pain but can you expand a bit on what issues i may face with different size tyres.
Thanks

Well, when you are running 18" rims, the recommended size is 225/40R18 to keep the speedo happy, then you have to think about keeping the rolling radius the same or similar to keep the Haldex 4WD system sweet.

To be honest, you would be well advised to stick with 8.5Js and then "stagger" them by using spacers, then keep the same tyres front and rear.

BTW, they did not make BBS CH's in 8jX18 in 5x100. Are you sure they are CHs?

Why not use stock size 8.5Js and "stagger" them using spacers? Then use same size tyres

BTW, as far as I am aware, they dont do BBS CHs in 8x18, 5x100. Are you sure they are BBS CHs?

I would just get the staggered set of rims front and rear, and use 225/40R18 all round, and use some spacers to push them out to the arches.