Help with retractable towbar warning on dash

antheawad

Reaction score
Hi everyone

my 2005 A6 Avant has a retractable towbar which we operate using a gadget in the boot. When its unlocked it flashes red, then green when locked in place (in or out).

Today we have towed our caravan home without any problems, but when we unhitched, and then started the car to move it away from the caravan, the 'check towbar bracket' warning came up, and the light is flashing red in the boot regardless of if the towbar is out or folded away.

It feels to be locking when we fold it away and open it out again, but the red flashing light is staying on.

Any help and advice appreciated, as always.

Anthea

Get a fault code scan done, could be anything.

Btw your signature is incorrect, your car is a tiptronic, not CVT :p

I just went by the log book Chris lol. I do call it tiptronic as thats what the last A6 (C5) was, and its the same thing i know lol.

Hi, I've just had the same problem, flicked it away after it had been down for a while and now the red light flashing a don the dash warning on...
Did you get anywhere with yours ?

Plus, I've had the multi meter on the wires from the twist sensor and it shows open circuit when swinging and closed circuit when locked in place.
Does the Ecu need resetting or something ? Or can it be switched off totally as the warning is really Annoying

I'm sure it'll be something that can be turned off through VCDS

I have managed to cure this problem. There is a replacement micro switch and cover available on eBay although it is listed as being for a towbar repair micro switch for a Q3. I took the gamble and it is the same as the a6. I little awkward to fit due to security screws used but manageable with a bit of determination.

Attachments

• 71D438A7-09B0-470C-960F-B267546007FA.png
    71D438A7-09B0-470C-960F-B267546007FA.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 450
This is the eBay description. I’ve only put this on because Audi master tech told be it is not available as a separate part for the a6. Lots of googling and a gamble paid off.

Attachments

• 2EC3A579-DC1C-4476-8DB1-D0B7755E4210.png
    2EC3A579-DC1C-4476-8DB1-D0B7755E4210.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 365