Help with FBSW - Technical Help

DrStrange

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just had my Flat bottom steering wheel installed. MASSIVE thanks to Ash at Audi Retrofits for the service.

Multi function buttons do not work however even though the horn workd and the lights come on. Any ideas why?

The wheel is off an A3 8V so its a single stage airbag like the B6's.

The actual buttons are off the A5 2012 Steering wheel so its the correct 'LIN' protocol.

We are stumped at why we can at least operate the volume as its been said the horn and multi-function are on the same wire?!

Please Help

Dan.

fbsw1-jpg.160563

fbsw2-jpg.160564

Few things that spring to mind.

1. Your horn isnt connected to CAN so is independent has its own wires
2. Try VCDS and see if it notices the activation of the buttons when pressed
4. If the steering wheel lights come on with your headlights then CAN is working

Reactions: DrStrange and NHN
Few things that spring to mind.

1. Your horn isnt connected to CAN so is independent has its own wires
2. Try VCDS and see if it notices the activation of the buttons when pressed
4. If the steering wheel lights come on with your headlights then CAN is working

What he said ;)

Reactions: DrStrange
Thanks Guys!

Answers;

1. Thank you, noted.
2. Great idea. So VCDS can also be that granular where it can detect if an actual button has been pressed?
3. CAN must be working as the lights 100% come on with lights and cruise control works.

check measuring blocks on steering module on VCDS and it will show you if individual buttons are being pressed. that kind of thing is available on every module.

Have you even got an error ?? what are you hoping to gain apart from volume as you have a very basic radio

Thanks blackpool1974,

Audi Retro fits (Who fit my wheel) mentioned the below;

''So the wheel is correctly fitted, wiring is done properly otherwise the horn wouldn’t work or the lights on the wheel wouldn’t come up. The steering control module and slip ring were changed however I think it may be a faulty part so will try another and see what happens.
VCDS is throwing up a ‘cannot talk to buttons’ message. Everything else is working without error so will investigate the slipring since it’s the N Rev control module. ''

I have no use for the wheel other than looks, feel and volume. I dont desire anything else anyway.

This is where it starts to get messy in my head, when you say you have the 8E0953549N steering module that is for cruise and old skool multifunction (b6) check link below.

The functions on your new wheel I would of thought would require 8E0953549Q or R (B7).

If you do need that module you would also need a new slip ring to connect to it which has a different connector for power and the airbag also.

aarrgghh !!

I hope you have the answer as I would really like to know.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(8E)

Sorry for the delay!

To be honest, I dont really understand the above BUT, in the coming weeks im going back to Audi Retrofits and we are trying a new slip ring to see if it works.

The dreaded airbag light has come on too which may or may not be related.

Will inform you of precisely what we do!

UPDATE

Over the weekend, I went back to Ash at Audi Retofits and booooom, he swapped out the control module and now it works!!

So now;

1. The volume roller button works
2. I can scan for radio stations
3. Change to next preset radio station

All working with my factory audi concert.

Again, I really didnt care that the buttons didnt work, but its an added bonus that i have SOME sort of multi-function haha.

Thanks Blackpool1974.

Ash is the MAN and knows his stuff.

Excellent service.