Help with FBSW - Technical Help

DrStrange

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just had my Flat bottom steering wheel installed. MASSIVE thanks to Ash at Audi Retrofits for the service.

Multi function buttons do not work however even though the horn workd and the lights come on. Any ideas why?

The wheel is off an A3 8V so its a single stage airbag like the B6's.

The actual buttons are off the A5 2012 Steering wheel so its the correct 'LIN' protocol.

We are stumped at why we can at least operate the volume as its been said the horn and multi-function are on the same wire?!

Please Help

Dan.

FBSW1

FBSW2

Hi guys.

Just had my Flat bottom steering wheel installed. MASSIVE thanks to Ash at Audi Retrofits for the service.

Multi function buttons do not work however even though the horn workd and the lights come on. Any ideas why?

The wheel is off an A3 8V so its a single stage airbag like the B6's.

The actual buttons are off the A5 2012 Steering wheel so its the correct 'LIN' protocol.

We are stumped at why we can at least operate the volume as its been said the horn and multi-function are on the same wire?!

Please Help

Dan.

View attachment 160563

View attachment 160564
Sorry cant help but looks very nice

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrStrange
Cheers Oli,

Yes correct slip ring and checked. All coded also.

Something just isnt right..a real scratch head moment as the horn works, the SW lights come on AND cruise control works!

We even tested another FBSW, same issue as above.

However, we did NOT test another Slip Ring.

You could also check the control module, only certain revisions work with a MFSW. But as you have cruise I think it should be correct.

Any module will let you code it to work, but not all will actually do it.

Failing this I would work my way further upstream towards the HU. Make sure the harness is correct and buzz through all the pins you need on HU end and control module end

Reactions: Sibmets
As above I'd check the control module. Various revisioms allow you to have certain operations but not others. Had fun with this when fitting a MFSW to my b7.

It may also be worth checking the pin outs in the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

So the wheel is correctly fitted, wiring is done properly otherwise the horn wouldn’t work or the lights on the wheel wouldn’t come up. The steering control module and slip ring were changed however I think it may be a faulty part so will try another and see what happens.
VCDS is throwing up a ‘cannot talk to buttons’ message. Everything else is working without error so will investigate the slipring since it’s the N Rev control module.