Help with dash cam install

Djemu

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question, I've searched around on this forum and elsewhere but I can't find an answer.
I bought the following dashcam that integrates directly into the rear mirror bracket:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MIN...567.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dKlir33

My problem, if you look at the picture of the wiring kit, is it comes with fuse blades attached, and all the guides use fuse taps which this wont work with. The instructions are in poor english and they basically say - Find ACC+ fuse. Pull out the fuse, and make sure to insert the fuse back to the original position.

So I don't think that's very helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Red wire to cigarette / 12v stocker 20amp fuse position (f40?), make sure it’s in the switched live position. Yellow wire to any empty position on the top two rows in the fuse box (perma live).

Reactions: Djemu
So just pull the fuse out and replace it with my cable? Won't it cause problems?

Ignition off, remove the fuse from the fusebox, insert fuse in to the bottom of the fuse tap, camera fuse in the top position, insert fuse tap in to the fuse box with the tail pointing upwards.

Ignition off, remove the fuse from the fusebox, insert fuse in to the bottom of the fuse tap, camera fuse in the top position, insert fuse tap in to the fuse box with the tail pointing upwards.

Okay, I think I get you. So where you would normally put a fuse into the top of the fuse tap, I just put in my cable and don't worry about the crimping?
And the perma live cable can go into any slot in the top row? Or does it have to be tapped also?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Okay, I think I get you. So where you would normally put a fuse into the top of the fuse tap, I just put in my cable and don't worry about the crimping?
And the perma live cable can go into any slot in the top row? Or does it have to be tapped also?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Can you take a photo of your supplied fused connections and attach here? Zooming in on the aliexpress photo I cannot see exactly what’s going on. Want to double check before confirming what you need to do...

Can you take a photo of your supplied fused connections and attach here? Zooming in on the aliexpress photo I cannot see exactly what’s going on. Want to double check before confirming what you need to do...

The other end goes into the camera, no usb or anything

Attachments

• 20190125_165555.jpg
    20190125_165555.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 131
The other end goes into the camera, no usb or anything
Would seem that these are not fuse taps, the are just “fused” connectors. You need to use a multimeter to find an empty switched live position. The perma live can just go to one of the empty positions on the top two rows.

Only other way to do this would be to get a couple of fuse taps, connectors which allow you to insert two independently fused connections in to one hole. You would then cut the ends off your cheap Chinese cables, connect the fuse taps, put your cameras fuse in the top position and the fuse from the connection you want to tap in the bottom position and insert the tap.

This probe came with it, so hopefully it works in lieu of a multimeter. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth, but I'll report back if or when my car turns into a block of molten metal.

Attachments

• 20190125_171138.jpg
    20190125_171138.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 152
This probe came with it, so hopefully it works in lieu of a multimeter. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth, but I'll report back if or when my car turns into a block of molten metal.
That should work

Reactions: Djemu